• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fadi

Few years ago I was asked by Mr. Ben Crawely (the general manager/owner of Bulk Nutrients), one of Ausbb sponsors, if I was at all interested in becoming a powerlifter or competing in a powerlifting competition. At the time I said no I was not interested as I knew absolutely nothing about the sport, and still don't, hence this appeal for some help from the knowledgeable people on the forum.

I've very recently gotten myself involved in some clean deadlifts and very much enjoying the experience, albeit a painful one since my lower back needs some serious strengthening. I am very competitive by nature, so I could not help myself from going on line and checking some Australian drug free powerlifting records for the masters in my age group.

I came across this piece of information:Download (PDF, 699KB) which I downloaded from the following website... http://australiandrugfreepowerlifting.com.au/records/national-records/

Mind you I don't know anything about who's who in this sport as far as organisations and/or federations are concerned. I don't even know what is understood to be "drug free" within that federation mentioned above. To make matters a little bit more confusing for myself (unintentionally), I checked the Australian records for the following category and age group:

AUSTRALIAN DRUGFREE POWERLIFTING FEDERATION
MEN'S 82.5 KG CLASS
NATIONAL RECORDS
ASSISTED DIVISION

82.5kg M3
(50-54)

I then compared that with the records below it concerning the "Unassisted division".

Now I'm thinking assisted is what it said, and unassisted is just that, unassisted...no help from external gear like belt straps and wraps etc. I think I'm wrong though, as the unassisted (whatever that means), seem to have a higher/better record than the assisted one.

Can someone, anyone really shed some light on this for me please? Thank you in advance for your help.

For the record (no pun intended), I'm in no way thinking I'm good enough to compete at any level right now, so this exercise is simply to get some proper knowledge on the subject. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Without their rule book being available (the link doesn't work, like most of their web site) its a bit difficult to find out what their particular definition of "unassisted" may be.

That said, in the IPF federations (with which the ADPF is not affiliated), unassisted or "Classic" lifting allows for or requires shoes (minimum of slippers in the deadlift), long socks for the deadlift, a lifting singlet (almost the same as weightlifting singlet), knee sleeves (also used at times in weightlifting), a belt (within specified thickness and width regulations) and wrist wraps (less than 1m long). Chalk is also allowed.

With equipped it's the same plus you can use a single ply suit and knee wraps.

With CAPO and suchlike associations, raw might mean the same although they usually allow knee wraps. That's where things get a bit off track as wraps give a measurable advantage in squats.

Equipped goes all to hell here as they may allow single ply, double ply or triple ply. Or compressions shorts under compression suits or even "anything goes".

That ends up with competitions that must be clarified by terms such as raw, raw with wraps, equipped with this ply or that ply suits. Then there is also the use of a monolift (like wraps it makes the lift easier) and the use of dodgy deadlift bars with a narrower shaft and lots of flex.

I have no idea how stringent their drug policy may be, but their dodgy web site probably is a good indication. Anyone can call themselves "drug free" (something that is non existent in sport, that includes everything from the olympics to local lawn bowls) and it means nothing. The bottom line is that they are either drug tested according to WADA requirements on a regular basis or they aren't.

e.g. Capo is "anti drug" but never tests their lifters and readily accept known drug users in their championships.

If you are interested in competing some time down the track, it's a simple decision. Do you go with the IPF and drug tested affiliated fed (powerlifting australia) or any of the others. If you have injury concerns, you might prefer the non IPF feds as they allow knee wraps, monolifts and "deadlift" bars, which may be kinder to skeletal or tendon weaknesses.

Without their rule book being available (the link doesn't work, like most of their web site) its a bit difficult to find out what their particular definition of "unassisted" may be.

That said, in the IPF federations (with which the ADPF is not affiliated), unassisted or "Classic" lifting allows for or requires shoes (minimum of slippers in the deadlift), long socks for the deadlift, a lifting singlet (almost the same as weightlifting singlet), knee sleeves (also used at times in weightlifting), a belt (within specified thickness and width regulations) and wrist wraps (less than 1m long). Chalk is also allowed.

With equipped it's the same plus you can use a single ply suit and knee wraps.

With CAPO and suchlike associations, raw might mean the same although they usually allow knee wraps. That's where things get a bit off track as wraps give a measurable advantage in squats.

Equipped goes all to hell here as they may allow single ply, double ply or triple ply. Or compressions shorts under compression suits or even "anything goes".

That ends up with competitions that must be clarified by terms such as raw, raw with wraps, equipped with this ply or that ply suits. Then there is also the use of a monolift (like wraps it makes the lift easier) and the use of dodgy deadlift bars with a narrower shaft and lots of flex.

I have no idea how stringent their drug policy may be, but their dodgy web site probably is a good indication. Anyone can call themselves "drug free" (something that is non existent in sport, that includes everything from the olympics to local lawn bowls) and it means nothing. The bottom line is that they are either drug tested according to WADA requirements on a regular basis or they aren't.

e.g. Capo is "anti drug" but never tests their lifters and readily accept known drug users in their championships.

If you are interested in competing some time down the track, it's a simple decision. Do you go with the IPF and drug tested affiliated fed (powerlifting australia) or any of the others. If you have injury concerns, you might prefer the non IPF feds as they allow knee wraps, monolifts and "deadlift" bars, which may be kinder to skeletal or tendon weaknesses.
Brilliant response Sir, thanks for giving me some of your time, I sincerely appreciate it Woody.

Yer nice reply Woody, it does however go to show how confusing and in some ways how silly all these different federations and rules are, it also makes it difficult to compare lift to lift based on what type of equipment was used.

Why can't these organisations/federations just have one single federation like they have in Olympic weightlifting in the IWF. Has anyone thought of bringing them all together under the one and same umbrella?

In 2010, my wish was to break the world record for the clean and jerk in the masters category. It was a weight of 140kg. That's it, nothing more and nothing less about it. With powerlifting, there are so many different records one doesn't really know where to start! Having said that, and as Woody correctly explained and clarified earlier, a powerlifter is presented with many more options to choose from than a weightlifter has in weightlifting.

As always in life, there are pros and cons with everything. So I believe even with all these seemingly confusing scenarios that go to make the sport of powerlifting, the pros are within the choices themselves a powerlifter can make within that sport, not something that is afforded to an Olympic weightlifter where there is only one federation to join.

Why can't these organisations/federations just have one single federation like they have in Olympic weightlifting in the IWF.

That's easy.

If the drug rules don't suit you, start your own Fed.

If the equipment rules don't suit you, start your own Fed.

If you can't break the records, start your own Fed.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

That's easy.

If the drug rules don't suit you, start your own Fed.

If the equipment rules don't suit you, start your own Fed.

If you can't break the records, start your own Fed.

I don't like everything about the IWF (International weightlifting federation), but since every weightlifter falls under the same rules and regulations, it all even itself out, as one and all are in the same boat. It's a shame the same can't be reasoned out in that manner for the sake of establishing one true world champion powerlifter or record holder in that sport.

I think it's best I just stick with and focus on my current and humble clean deadlift routine and see how much I can deadlift by year's end :)