• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
[FONT=&quot]"What a lot of Australian families have is very expensive urine."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On Monday's Four Corners we investigate Australia’s vitamins and supplement’s industry. Do you know what you're buying?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Watch "Swallowing It" - Monday night on ABC TV and ABC iview.[/FONT]

I think they ought to investigate the drug industry simultaneously, beginning with the class of statin drugs. We're living longer, but is the quality of life any better, or are we simply living rather than being alive at the same time? I think a medical doctor who is well versed/qualified in nutritional sciences is one hell of a doctor, otherwise, leave doctors and their drugs for when an emergency strikes, as they're not in the business of curing or preventing, but rather in the business of treating and managing a symptom that has its roots lying somewhere within a deeper cause.

I've digressed I know, but hypocrisy and finger pointing is not something I tolerate very well. If Four Corners wishes to investigate, then do it properly, side by side, the two industries investigated at the same time. Give us the pros and cons of both sides 4 Corners. Thank you.

Nothing wrong with vitamins. However, there is a big problem with vitamin suppliers. Independent investigations have shown that in the US, the active ingredient on the table is either underdosed or completely missing. COQ10 is a popular culprit. It even goes into normal food production with olive oil diluted with canola oil, or similar, and colour dyes added. Or oregino that is 50% ground olive leaves. At least the food industry has standards where such fraud can be prostecuted. In the supps/vitamin industry, there is no such policing.

Hello No Bull protein powder. How is the milk powder industry going?

A single example of the scam:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/herbal-supplements-targeted-by-new-york-attorney-general/

The investigation found supplements, including echinacea, ginseng, St. John's wort, garlic, ginkgo biloba and saw palmetto, were contaminated with substances including rice, beans, pine, citrus, asparagus, primrose, wheat, houseplant and wild carrot. In many cases, unlisted contaminants were the only plant material found in the product samples.

I think they ought to investigate the drug industry simultaneously, beginning with the class of statin drugs. We're living longer, but is the quality of life any better, or are we simply living rather than being alive at the same time? I think a medical doctor who is well versed/qualified in nutritional sciences is one hell of a doctor, otherwise, leave doctors and their drugs for when an emergency strikes, as they're not in the business of curing or preventing, but rather in the business of treating and managing a symptom that has its roots lying somewhere within a deeper cause.

I've digressed I know, but hypocrisy and finger pointing is not something I tolerate very well. If Four Corners wishes to investigate, then do it properly, side by side, the two industries investigated at the same time. Give us the pros and cons of both sides 4 Corners. Thank you.

ABC did a catalyst program a couple of years ago on statins. I'll post the links when I'm on a computer

here you go, the second video goes in hard on statins
The newer more credible scientific data (ie studies not backed by big pharma or grain organisations) suggests homocysteine and visceral fat levels are the true indicators of poor cardiovascular health and not consumption of saturated fats or cholesterol levels as has been believed for the past 50 years. It seems increasingly likely that the inflammatory response from processed foods is what hurts us and blaming Cholesterol for all heart attacks is like blaming firemen for all fires, just because they are both at the scene of the crime doesn't imply they are responsible for the act.

ABC's Catalyst tacked this issue last year to scathing criticism and were subsequently pulled from the ABC's website due to concerns of bias. However upon reading the report the only element of both episodes (see below) they found to be unbalanced was in the second episode when they neglected to mention the benefit of statins to those who had already suffered a heart attack (called secondary prevention). Seems like a bit of an overreaction to pull both episodes right?

That episode got pulled from repeat as well as ABC online streaming. The doctor also got let go.

The people interviewed in that episode were all bias toward the sale or alternative sales to statins. Glad to see the ABC clamping down on junk science.

That episode got pulled from repeat as well as ABC online streaming. The doctor also got let go.

The people interviewed in that episode were all bias toward the sale or alternative sales to statins. Glad to see the ABC clamping down on junk science.

Careful Steve your ignorance is showing.

As opposed to pseudo science? Sorry, I'm going to side with the medical experts on this topic, and not the people getting fired for dodgy journalism.

As opposed to pseudo science? Sorry, I'm going to side with the medical experts on this topic, and not the people getting fired for dodgy journalism.

Have you even read to the ABC investigation/report into the catalyst episode?

Haha. He is calling you out for ignorance but he is blindly siding with uneducated journalists looking for a sensationalist story.

There's no evidence that statins taken for primary prevention have improved mortality outcomes for patients.

Yes you're less likely to die of a heart attack but more likely to die of dementia, liver failure or a host of other nasty statin side effects and are statistically PROVEN to not live any longer.

Yet millions of people are prescribed statins for primary prevention.

Haha. He is calling you out for ignorance but he is blindly siding with uneducated journalists looking for a sensationalist story.

Bit like asking the dude in the supplement store if these supplements he sells really work, pretty sure he will give you the right advice...

I still remember clearly, the day I bought my first tub of Weiders mega mass 2000, I thought I was hard core, with the scoop supplied meticulously measuring the recommended amount into 250 ml of milk.

tasted like cake mix, probably was, no computers in those days.

I still remember clearly, the day I bought my first tub of Weiders mega mass 2000, I thought I was hard core, with the scoop supplied meticulously measuring the recommended amount into 250 ml of milk.

tasted like cake mix, probably was, no computers in those days.

I remember being a teenager drinking a protein shake and people saying be careful you can blow your kidneys. Lol. I think we though they were roids.

I remember buying a tub of protein off a guy at the gym called Metamorphosis back at the start of the 90's. He said he would pick me some up from a shop in London cause it was near where he worked. I asked him next time I saw him in the gym if he wanted the cash and he got all paranoid and told me to put the money back in my pocket and he would bring the powder to my house not to the gym. He acted like it was like it was some sort of drug deal, pretty sure he was selling other stuff too and didn't want the gym owner to kick him out. Safe to say the protein tasted like glue and din't help me morph into anything!!