• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Snoochies

Last year I trained for the Melbourne Marathon and have to say now that I did actually enjoy running, whilst I have never been good at it and being larger, I was slow but enjoyed getting out there hitting the pavement/grass. The issue I had was my weight being over 100kg's.
Since that venture was over I took up strength training again (madcow), cleaned up the diet to shed some fat which has been working well, I have new PB's in strength and still getting better and the kilos are slowly evaporating. Over the last month I have started to attempt the running thing again and as it stands I can barely reach 4km now without any improvement.

I came across this article about a bloke who has succeeded in strength training and long distance running.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/a-new-breed-of-athlete-be-a-strength-runner.html

My wishlist is to: 1. lose fat 2.get stronger 3.run further.

I'm wondering this a pipe dream or can it be done especially as I'm in a calorie deficit. I'd love to attempt a marathon again one day, but be leaner and stronger. My gut feel tells me to stick to lifting and dieting, keep the runs small and easy and increase where I can but get the weight down to where I am happy before taking on the extra km's.

just make sure strength training is majority of training, but you can mix it up.

bruce jenner, now caitlyn, got pretty strong and fit when best decathlete in world. 100m 10.94, 15m shot put, 4min 12 seconds 1500 at same time.

Yer I agree with Spart, add in some running but not too much. I started back in the gym last year after 10 years off and the last 5 years being a runner. As my focus now is on getting stronger I have reduced the running back to 1-3 times a week and much shorter distances. I find that if I do more it starts to impact on the strength side of things. I also find that after weights my body is a little beat up and that makes the running a little less enjoyable. My advice would be to pick one goal and work to that first, you can then re asses and pick a new goal when you have achieved the first one. So for now you might focus on strength and weight loss and less so on running. When you get your body where you want it then you pick a new goal and change your training to suit. I rekon it would be almost impossible to train for strength whilst in a deficit, whilst also training for a marathon.

boxers and rowers are good example of elite sportspeople who mix up strength and endurance.

Yes but if a boxer focused on training for a marathon and increased his running to 60-90km a week which is what most programs would have you do I think their boxing performance would be effected. Running for general conditioning or sprints for speed work seem to be utilized by many and work well, marathon training is a whole other story.

Yer I agree with Spart, add in some running but not too much. I started back in the gym last year after 10 years off and the last 5 years being a runner. As my focus now is on getting stronger I have reduced the running back to 1-3 times a week and much shorter distances. I find that if I do more it starts to impact on the strength side of things. I also find that after weights my body is a little beat up and that makes the running a little less enjoyable. My advice would be to pick one goal and work to that first, you can then re asses and pick a new goal when you have achieved the first one. So for now you might focus on strength and weight loss and less so on running. When you get your body where you want it then you pick a new goal and change your training to suit. I rekon it would be almost impossible to train for strength whilst in a deficit, whilst also training for a marathon.

Yep this is pretty much my train of thought at the moment. I don't though want to train for a marathon at the moment, I know the training and diet will have to change for that. I was hoping to eventually run around 14km's again, I enjoyed that distance. It seems a long way off.

pretty sure [MENTION=15941]steveP[/MENTION] mentioned somewhere that he used to be a quick long distance runner but he's slowed down a lot after putting some muscle on.

I used to be able to run sub 5 min kms for 10-20 km but I don't have any interest in doing that anymore and I'm not sure my thicker legs would be accommodating of that type of distance running anyway

Additional weight definitely slowed me down, but I think it's any weight, not necessarily muscle gain. I've never been a runner either, and I think my technique is pretty bad. I completed the half marathons I did by being determined and pushing through mentally. Definitely my least favourite type of cardio.

I think it's like anything exercise related, the more you do it, the better you'll get. I'm not prepared to put in the time to get better at it.

one top runner, masters around my age, estimates that 5km time will improve around 5 seconds for every 5 pounds lighter.

makes sense as running is one of the hardest endurance activities and few top distance runners are over 70kg even when over 180cm tall.

Extra weight unquestionably backed me off, yet i believe it's any weight, not really muscle gain, i have never been a sprinter either and i think my procedure is quite terrible, i finished the half long distance races i did by being resolved and pushing through rationally, certainly my slightest most loved kind of cardio...

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards