• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fadi

It all begins before you approach your training session, and it begins in your brain. Will you be seeking pain, or will you stop your set at the first sign of discomfort?

Your brain tolerance for pain is going to be the deciding factor governing whether you push on or stop. Most of us believe that our limitations are physically based, and our strength is determined by our physical abilities. However our brain’s tolerance for pain does play a decisive and significant role in how far we can push into that territory where only few dare to tread.

Your pain tolerance may be the ultimate key to your performance, and this tolerance of pain that is brought on by exercise isn’t necessarily just something you’re born with.
Dr. Alexis Mauger believes that, like aerobic capacity or lactate threshold, tolerance is malleable, that is to say, pain tolerance can indeed be trained. In part, he says, it’s about: “Learning to break through a conservative pain barrier so that you can operate closer to a true physiological limit.”

In other words, your brain tells you to stop before your body really has to. So do you seek (or welcome) pain, or do you shy away from it? That is the question.

https://www.kent.ac.uk/sportsciences/staff/l-mauger.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...an-learn-from-elite-athletes/article16627887/

Last edited:
Based on my experience, I can tell you that the initial and best form of training your tolerance to pain has to come from an external source rather than self-reliance. In other words, someone other than you pushing you through a pain barrier would be the way to go, if you truly wish to experience a level that is close to your true physiological pain threshold.

I have been pushed to a point where I had fainted for a brief moment (whilst going through an Olympic weightlifting circuit).This is not a state you can reach on your own I believe. I'm not suggesting you go through some pain barrier until you faint, but this experience I'm sharing here is simply to illustrate that "to break through a conservative pain barrier so that you can operate closer to a true physiological limit,” in my opinion requires an external source, at least initially until you know how it feels and how far you can truly take it, and how much you've been holding back during a set of muscular pain or whatever it is that you thought was going to destroy you if you were to continue on with it.

Last edited:
Tolerances to pain cannot be measured what you feel and I feel could be two entirely different things, one thing is true though, working the bigger muscles together in multi joint movements are a lot harder than single joint movements

Tolerances to pain cannot be measured what you feel and I feel could be two entirely different things, one thing is true though, working the bigger muscles together in multi joint movements are a lot harder than single joint movements
Your words can not be disputed Sir; you're right on the money Andy.

Of course, Goosey you are absolutely right. Tolerances to pain cannot be measured. Pain tolerance is the maximum level of pain that a person is able to tolerate.