• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I met him at Ellis Park Swimming Pool in Johannesburg, South Africa. Also met his son Jon Jon, an olympic swimmer.

arnold-reg-park.jpg

The Force 1500lb bars aren't too bad if you don't abuse them or leave them loaded up for several days. I have two.

Thanks, when did you buy them? The people selling them make a point of saying that they are constantly updating the quality and technology used in making them.

. I think they are a few mm thicker than ABC bars.

Case in point; they are now a standard 28mm

BC8D1979FD7CAA5AE02187C2D0B473C8.JPG

Last edited:
I sent that photo to Reg's son and he replied:

I appreciate your response and the classic shot of my dad, Arnold and Draper at the Mr Universe in 1970. When you consider that Reg was almost twenty years older than Arnold, had retired and trained for three months for the contest and was completely natural, it's quite remarkable

I have to agree. Reg Park was one of the all time greats of this game. If he'd taken steroids he would have been absolutely phenomenally big, but not have lived as long a life as he did.

I sent that photo to Reg's son and he replied:

I have to agree. Reg Park was one of the all time greats of this game. If he'd taken steroids he would have been absolutely phenomenally big, but not have lived as long a life as he did.
Are you suggesting that 1. Reg was natty and 2. If he did take steroids he wouldn't live as long.

I say 2 wrong assumptions there.

Are you suggesting that 1. Reg was natty and 2. If he did take steroids he wouldn't live as long.

I say 2 wrong assumptions there.

Yes and Yes. It was only in the early-to-mid 1960s that almost all high-level competitive bodybuilders were taking steroids in the weeks leading up to contests. Reg Park's career pre-dated this (Pro-debut at Mr Britain in 1946, then wins at Mr Universe, 1951, 1958, 1965).

And yes, steroids kill.

If steroids kill, millions of people would drop dead every day.

No such thing as a free lunch.

Used roids to pump your body up to way beyond what it can handle naturally you can't actually believe that you are not losing some years.

How many cycles you done. You trying to convince yourself?

Prolly more accurate to say that drug abuse kills.
Abuse of anything can kill including roids or any drug.

No such thing as a free lunch.

Used roids to pump your body up to way beyond what it can handle naturally you can't actually believe that you are not losing some years.

How many cycles you done. You trying to convince yourself?

Saying that anyone who takes roids will die from roids is absurd. Therefore those using them for medicinal use such as TRT or increasing red blood cell count will die.

Abuse of anything can kill including roids or any drug.

Saying that anyone who takes roids will die from roids is absurd. Therefore those using them for medicinal use such as TRT or increasing red blood cell count will die.

Not what I said at all. How did you fuck that up so bad.

People who abuse anabolic steroids to build muscle will go to great lengths to justify what they are doing. They will point to people who take them for medicinal reasons, they will point to those who have abused them and survived a long time, seemingly without consequences.

For those who abuse, it's a case of "Are you feeling lucky, punk?"

All talk about steriods and if they harm or not but nobody wanted to comment on whether Reg Park took them or not ? I say Yes.

Steroids were not even available when Reg won his first titles.
http://weightrainer.blogspot.com.au/2009/08/history-of-steroids-in-bodybuilding.html

For these reasons it can be stated with near certainty that Steve Reeves, Clancy Ross, John Grimek, Jack Delinger, Reg Park, John Farbotnik, George Eiferman, etc - who all won major physique titles before the Soviets began using testosterone and before synthetic steroids were introduced in 1956 - were not using bioavailable testosterone or synthetic steroids at the time of their Mr. America, Mr. USA and Mr. Universe wins

Jon Jon says Reg was against the use of steroids, though he did not cut out people who used them

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere that the 1956 date comes from the first orally-active, synthetic anabolic steroid approved by the FDA in the US under the brand name Nilevar. However it has been written that steroids were being used in inject able form before this date and popular with bodybuilder through the 1950's. I'm not that old so have no idea how accurate the history of this period is. It doesn't really matter either way to me he is still a legend of that time.

Very good chance he won the 51' show as a natty. Very good chance. The later shows is anyones guess. He was a competitor. He wanted to win. So who knows.

Tim.