• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
thanks fadi, but I think goosey will know what I am saying.
I don't, hence my question. I thought you'd be the best person to clarify it for me, since you know what you meant by it and I don't. If you don't wish that I ask what I'm not sure of, then I won't ask next time. Thank you.

I thought the subject matter was about muscle hypertrophy and/ or strength, and whether a method of one set or multiple sets application was the way to go. Based on that, I gave my answer. If the subject matter was about a topic other than what the application of one or more sets and which yealds better results, then in that case I must've missed it.

One set does NOT work if your goal is to be the best you can be, period. To say otherwise is to pretend one knows something the rest of the sporting world doesn't know, and that's either a sign of arrogance, or a sign of being so ignorant of real world results as to not even realise it

Andy, you wrote: " to state that single set work doesn't garner results is showing ignorance." I agree with you. In fact, I'll go a step further by saying that one doesn't even have to do a single set to garner results, when that's what's needed at a particular time. However my post where you've quoted me, and took way out of context, is not talking about that, but rather was focusing on the best achievements one can ultimately have if one chose between a one set or a multiple set protocol.

Please elucidate on that last sentence Fadi, define achievement in relation to what?

To be the best you can in sport, you use so many words and yet you don't actually say anything

thanks fadi, but I think goosey will know what I am saying.

Yeah, as opposed to multiple sets performed sub maximally.

many American football clubs are moving into this direction as they know more time is better spent training and gym work is to prevent injuries and we know a strong muscle is a flexible one.

Please elucidate on that last sentence Fadi, define achievement in relation to what?

To be the best you can in sport, you use so many words and yet you don't actually say anything
That's a matter of opinion and you're entitled to yours. So we'll leave it right here Andy thank you. I wouldn't want to waste anymore of your time or anyone else's for that matter. All the best, to you, and to everyone on Ausbb.

Last edited:
Yeah, as opposed to multiple sets performed sub maximally.

many American football clubs are moving into this direction as they know more time is better spent training and gym work is to prevent injuries and we know a strong muscle is a flexible one.

Spot on.

We know muscles are composed of thousands of individual fibers that work together but are also programmed to fatigue at different rates, there's definitely and ordering to the recruitment and that seems to be set, can't be changed.

so, what happens if, after several minutes of rest, you perform a second set?
Are different fibers involved (fast, intermediate, slow) ?

Neural pathways are important but isn't their job done when you've practiced a movement as in you're skilled?
most exercises required minimal skill.

Yes, and perhaps that is why when I came back to snatches and power cleans after three years of bodybuilding training, on the first day back Olympic lifting I did 4x90kg power snatch (and 4x140kg power clean). I had the skill before, albeit in my own unique way of relying on back strength.

goosey is right, I could have gained my gross bodybuilding strength from a few hard sets (Mentzer training style) and applied it to Olympic lifting.

The same is true when i achieved 2.9m standing long jump in 1987 (my best clean effort); I did this on 4 months of HIT with 20 minute workouts of a few flat out sets supersetting nautilus leg press, leg extensions and leg curls at Findlays gym.

I have long believed that many training system work from HIT to volume.

As you say, as we all say, it all works, I think that IF you decide to shorten a workout it has to become more intense as in the rate of "work" need to be harder but this cannot be maintained longer than 30 minutes

Do you guys think that when it comes to doing high intensity short workouts that the individuals mental state, fitness level or their ability to work hard enough can be a limiting factor. Some people just cant work hard enough in the short workout to get optimal results and for them volume works better ?

Do you guys think that when it comes to doing high intensity short workouts that the individuals mental state, fitness level or their ability to work hard enough can be a limiting factor. Some people just cant work hard enough in the short workout to get optimal results and for them volume works better ?

The ability to work intensely is largely a product of the first two factors. Intensity is a skill that can be developed like anything else.

The ability to work intensely is largely a product of the first two factors. Intensity is a skill that can be developed like anything else.

So based on that, would it suggest that these types of workout better suit those who have already trained for some time and developed that skill ?

So based on that, would it suggest that these types of workout better suit those who have already trained for some time and developed that skill ?

Intensity is relative. What is high intensity for one person may not be for another. As long as you are training to what is a high level of intensity for your body it will work.

I think that's pretty much it simo

most of the people I have introduced to this style of workout need time to adjust, it takes time to find their limits and even after that some just shake their head and say that's too tough for me to maintain that while others embrace it.

Intensity is relative. What is high intensity for one person may not be for another. As long as you are training to what is a high level of intensity for your body it will work.

Ive seen people dragged from one machine to the next.
ive seen incredible workouts done and supervised by some prominent yank coaches it brutal and inspiring.

As you say, as we all say, it all works, I think that IF you decide to shorten a workout it has to become more intense as in the rate of "work" need to be harder but this cannot be maintained longer than 30 minutes

This post is 100% perfect, and in so few words.