• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
A lot has been talked about Yates one set style of training, but when you actually looked at his workouts, he usually ran 3-5 sets on with the weight increasing each set until his final one to failure or beyond. So not sure you would technically class this as one set anyway.

Yep, Lee Priest says when he trained with Yates that he (Yates) trained the same as everyone else - not HIT. I suspect it's all to sell Videos and appear different for Sales purposes.

Are there any top Bodybuilders who train HIT? HIT is convenient for the non serious lifter.

Train each Muscle twice a week with a bit of Volume.

Wasn't Dorian the first BB to sleep with an I.V. drip in :D

or is that myth?

^ its hard to know what is true or not, Dorain has been very open around his use of drugs but still people dont believe the doses he used were as small as he says and also lots dont seem to believe his comments around his limited use of GH.

^ its hard to know what is true or not, Dorain has been very open around his use of drugs but still people dont believe the doses he used were as small as he says and also lots dont seem to believe his comments around his limited use of GH.

but an I.V. drip can be used for things other than Roids. So who knows!

yer true, he was a very committed person who was 110% absorbed in what he did and winning so would not put it past him to use any technique that helped. I'll ask him next time I see him ;-)

After I left the AIS, they (the AIS), began to experiment with I.V drips for nutritional/ recuperative purposes. They quickly abandoned it as it did not produce the results they were hoping for. This info was not from Google or the Internet.

After I left the AIS, they (the AIS), began to experiment with I.V drips for nutritional/ recuperative purposes. They quickly abandoned it as it did not produce the results they were hoping for. This info was not from Google or the Internet.

I think AFL Teams experimented with it for rehydration etc after Games.

I think AFL Teams experimented with it for rehydration etc after Games.
I wouldn't be surprised. I can share with you what did actually work at the AIS as far as recuperation was concerned, and this knowledge was brought to us from the eastern block countries at the time (we're talking early 1980s here). You have a hot sauna, then you take a plunge in cold water. The sauna opens up all your skin pores, assisting with the removal of toxic by products accumulated through training, eating, and even negative thoughts..., whilst the cold water dip immediately after, assists with the movement of lymph throughout the lymphatic system. Both of these "exercises" go a long way to relax the lifter, as well as clean him out from the inside out... ultimately increasing the rate of waste byproduct elimination, leading to a shortened time for recovery.

The size of a muscle represents potential strength rather than actual. You still need to get the message through and that's where neural efficiency comes in.

Strength athletes don't train for size.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

Yep you're right about that.

We know muscles are composed of thousands of individual fibers that work together but are also programmed to fatigue at different rates, there's definitely and ordering to the recruitment and that seems to be set, can't be changed.

so, what happens if, after several minutes of rest, you perform a second set?
Are different fibers involved (fast, intermediate, slow) ?

Neural pathways are important but isn't their job done when you've practiced a movement as in you're skilled?
most exercises required minimal skill.

That in itself is cancellation through elimination. In other words (and without having to delve into which research favoured what), the mere fact that the results were not conclusive, nullifies all these studies.

That is great news for lifters (and coaches) who live by studies, I am not one of those.

More reason to be suspicious.

I justify a multiple set protocol because that's what has been working in real life (with real lifters) since day one. Why would a sane lifter put himself through hell in order to make progress, when he could just as easily apply the one set method and get his training over and done with.

In my response to your post Andy, I've chosen a totally different approach from the norm. That is (as is evident) by my reply, I've kept it real. No science, no fancy words, no "this research or this Doctor of physiology etc. says so", nothing like that. If a single set works, Olympic weightlifters world wide would have jumped onto that scientific discovery, but it obviously doesn't. And it doesn't for many more reasons than just one.

This whole thing reminds me a bit of a muscle contraction. We've all seen those commercials where someone (usually a scientist/doctor/"expert"), is trying to sell us a machine that causes our muscles to contract, without having to do any work. No one is even talking about one set or multiple sets here, not even a weight to be lifted or an arm to move from point a to point b no. Simply attach those probes and let them send those electrical impulses that cause a shock to our nerve endings and cause them to fire, sending a signal for a muscle fiber to contract. Oh, if it was so easy huh!

So it's obvious from the above example re muscle contraction, that it takes more than simply muscle contraction to make a muscle stronger, bigger, or both. It takes stress, and not just stress, but stress that is applied either continuously (as in TUT), or stress that is applied multiple times as in a heavy set done multiple times.

Let's look at real world training, both bodybuilding and strength/power orientated.

In bodybuilding , you have two major camps, both (arrogantly) claim to have the holly grail when it comes to their method of training. On the one hand you've got the high volume camp, and on the other hand you've got the high intensity group. Yet when it comes to the topic of this OP, both of this camps would agree on multiple sets to get the job done.

Moving on to Olympic weightlifting, you've also got two camps, one following the former Soviet Union method of periodisation based on the lifter's 1RM, whilst the other camp following the Bulgarian system where your 1RM is based on your daily's 1RM, applying what is now termed as self-autoregulation, and maintaining that only the two competition lifts are to be performed, with only one strength specific exercise for assistance work, namely the formant squat. Again we see an agreement between this two vastly different camps, where more than just the one set is applied in training to get the job done. Even if the lifter is restricting himself to single lifts, he does a multiple sets of that single lift, over and over again for about 6x/day 6x/week (if you're a Bulgarian or a Bulgarian system follower) as i am (in favour of over the Russian system). But that's another topic.

Point is, with all these diversities, all agree on a multiple set over a single set method.

I appreciate your reply mate, but I really don't understand what or where you are going.

maybe this analogy can help you;

i likened weightlifting as in "exercise" for the hobbyists to be something that improves ones health, to look better, feel better, to be an adjunct.

Here's the analogy;

we like music, there are many genres, some like the blues and within the blues there are many variations from Bo Diddley, to Justin Bieber.

there are many many people around the world using abbreviated routines successfully, in sport and in private life.

to state that single set work doesn't garner results is showing ignorance.

This is from an advocate of H.I.T

if you've hit a plateau using a traditional addreviated intense workout

1. Move to a completely different, polar opposite, rep/set scheme than what brought the plateau.

2. Change the exercises around. New lifts, new lift variations.

3. Vary up the rep schemes and intensity, even in the "cycle". Docs "canned routines" for reaching, say 300 lb. for 20 reps in the squat, from a starting weight at half that for 20 reps, did not involve only adding 5 lb. a week to the bar. He would back weights off, go from single to multiple sets, and have other variations within.

4. Look at your routine and progression and see if it is a trap. Sometimes we stall because we push too hard and too fast. Linear progression is a quick route to failure.

5. Don't be a punk. Sometimes we stall because we don't want to work hard. Or sometimes we stall because it is a bad week or bad day. Sometimes we stall, particularly in singles and doubles, because we are out of our groove. If you bomb a single, try it again in a few minutes. It may just be the groove.

6. Look carefully at exercise selection. You will quickly stall adding weight to single limb isolation exercises. Not so quickly on compounds. I would pretty much infer, from what I recall and what my own experience would be, that if you are doing something like pressdowns or preacher curls or thigh extensions, relative intensity and duration are far more important than taking that training log and adding 5 lb. or 2 reps a week or something. Those lifts are basically finishers, and who cares if you even do them, assuming you pay your dues on the big stuff. And if you do actually do them, just work them hard and increase measurable factors over the long haul, not week to week.

When we are considering the average Joe who lifts to get stronger, look better, keep fit etc, doesn't all of this come back to just do 'some for a few', hard work and consistency matter for more than the rep scheme or number of sets for most of us.

I thought the subject matter was about muscle hypertrophy and/ or strength, and whether a method of one set or multiple sets application was the way to go. Based on that, I gave my answer. If the subject matter was about a topic other than what the application of one or more sets and which yealds better results, then in that case I must've missed it.

One set does NOT work if your goal is to be the best you can be, period. To say otherwise is to pretend one knows something the rest of the sporting world doesn't know, and that's either a sign of arrogance, or a sign of being so ignorant of real world results as to not even realise it

Andy, you wrote: " to state that single set work doesn't garner results is showing ignorance." I agree with you. In fact, I'll go a step further by saying that one doesn't even have to do a single set to garner results, when that's what's needed at a particular time. However my post where you've quoted me, and took way out of context, is not talking about that, but rather was focusing on the best achievements one can ultimately have if one chose between a one set or a multiple set protocol.

Last edited:
goosey, I know a guy who has coached many sprinters. He is not academically smart, but has a brilliant feel for running, technique and getting his athletes stronger, at least until the know-all pricks steal them with their supposed wisdom and fuck them up. I can tell you every athlete he has had has run faster, and when they all leave they run slower. Every one.

He also trains his runners like you do weights, few reps, flat out and sparingly. lf it works in sprinting, one of the hardest sports to master, it can work in weightlifting.

few reps, flat out and sparingly.
Can someone (anyone), please clarify for me what exactly is meant by these 6 words, within the context of the OP, where the comparison is between a single set and a multiple set protocol? Are these 6 words more resembling the one set or the multiple sets? Thanks in advance.