• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Snoochies

A couple month before Christmas I started to lift again and for once sticking to it. Anyway I had noticed my bicep felt dull and achy and after a look around on google it seems the deadlift is more than likely the issue.
As most people the overhand grip works to a point and then people us the mixed grip which I have done. I have exclusively been using the left arm supinated which is the arm where the bicep hurts and unfortunately I didn't even know about bicep issues before lifting but now I do through first hand experience.

So as I get to looking some more I found the hook grip, looks great so might give it a try and try it on the barbell I use here at work but no luck as it's a thick bar. I can't get my fingers over the thumb to lock it in.

So what is the best solution here, just reverse the mixed grip for awhile, it feels awkward or try straps but I'd like to get my grip better. I feel strong enough to get the heavier lifts but my grip is weak.

Cheers

You should be reversing the supinated hand every set. That will spread the bicep stress across both arms.

You may also be bending your elbows during the lift. Try taking a video of yourself to check. The arms should always be dead straight. Always.

Don't ever do any arm/bicep work prior to deadlifts.

Yes, you can use straps. Its better to use straps and healthy untorn biceps. Surprisingly, they don't affect grip strength that much as you still tend to grip like hell, even with the straps doing the "heavy lifting". You can also do separate grip training if you feel that it's a weakness.

Do bicep work as well, just not on deadlift day. Worked biceps are health biceps.

I hear you on the hook grip. Standard decent quality bars are 29mm diameter. Weightlifting bars are 27-28mm. The women's bar is 25mm. The reason for that is the hook grip, giving a touch more room. Personally, I think it's too painful for deadlifting. You should be focused on pulling the weight, not focused on pain in your thumbs.

I literally never switch my grip aye.
I use mixed grip, left hand under for sets above 180 usually. I can hold it double over for anything lower.

MAKE SURE you are not bending your arm. At all!

Ive never had an issue in 5 years of doing this.

Tim.

Concur with Tim. I've supinated the same hand for all my lifting above 180-odd.
Regarding straps- I'm doing sheiko and I usually use straps for 2nd deadlift portion, which are usually heavy block pulls, as i have an Okie cheesegrater. No grip problems.
I pulled hook grip for a while and could handle it for heavy singles but more than a few reps and I lose concentration on the lift due to the pain.

Thabks for the tips. I think I definitely bend the arm so will concentrate on that.
The grip on the actual bar is nearly non existent to be honest, I had my own gym for awhile and the bar had way better grip. Being work I'm not sure if it's worth asking them to replace it for safety reasons since they are big on safety but run when someone actually wants them to do something or just give it a good clean myself.

Gyms are notorious for skimping on the most important piece of gym equipment: the barbell. The only thing you can do is to harp on the safety aspect. That's the only thing that gets through. Just mention Work Safe a lot. Mebbe go buy a T-shirt and glare at them when you deliberately let the barbell slip.

#barbellsmatter

You should be reversing the supinated hand every set. That will spread the bicep stress across both arms.

You may also be bending your elbows during the lift. Try taking a video of yourself to check. The arms should always be dead straight. Always.

Don't ever do any arm/bicep work prior to deadlifts.

Yes, you can use straps. Its better to use straps and healthy untorn biceps. Surprisingly, they don't affect grip strength that much as you still tend to grip like hell, even with the straps doing the "heavy lifting". You can also do separate grip training if you feel that it's a weakness.

Do bicep work as well, just not on deadlift day. Worked biceps are health biceps.

I hear you on the hook grip. Standard decent quality bars are 29mm diameter. Weightlifting bars are 27-28mm. The women's bar is 25mm. The reason for that is the hook grip, giving a touch more room. Personally, I think it's too painful for deadlifting. You should be focused on pulling the weight, not focused on pain in your thumbs.

Just do it a few times and hook grip isn't painful. I hadn't used it for 12 months and hook gripped 240 the first time back zero pain. I've hook gripped 200 single handed.

I literally never switch my grip aye.
I use mixed grip, left hand under for sets above 180 usually. I can hold it double over for anything lower.

MAKE SURE you are not bending your arm. At all!

Ive never had an issue in 5 years of doing this.

Tim.

Yeah I don't switch my grip when doing mixed. I couldn't even tell you which hand I put which way.

Just don't bend your arms. With the weights most of us are lifting it's likely never going to be an issue but if you happen to be the unlucky 1% and snap a bicep tendon just get it operated on.

Exactly.
Ive had so many people bang on about how I'm going to hurt my arm. Never had even a tiny niggle....

Tim.

I think the dangers of not rotating your mixed grip are massively overstated.

I've water skied my entire life using the same hand supination without an issue and the weight loads in aggressive slalom water skiing would be equal to or greater than heavy deadlifts.

Definitely overstated imo also.

Would be more dangerous for me switch the grip on a heavy set.

Tim.