• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
push-up-variations-chart.jpg

Attachments

• push-up-variations-chart.jpg
    push-up-variations-chart.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 28
One thing I know about when it comes to push-ups vs barbell bench press, is that (amongst many different muscles stressed), one group of muscles that are taxed, and taxed superbly is the group called the Serratus anterior.

serratus.jpg

Do a normal set of push-ups taken to failure, then rest 20 seconds and do as many more reps as you possible can (usually 3-5), rest another 20 seconds and see how many more reps you can do. Call it a day and feel your serratus anterior the next day like you've never felt them before!

One thing I know about when it comes to push-ups vs barbell bench press, is that (amongst many different muscles stressed), one group of muscles that are taxed, and taxed superbly is the group called the Serratus anterior.

View attachment 12230

Do a normal set of push-ups taken to failure, then rest 20 seconds and do as many more reps as you possible can (usually 3-5), rest another 20 seconds and see how many more reps you can do. Call it a day and feel your serratus anterior the next day like you've never felt them before!

hmmm, I don't think too much action with the serratus Fadi, you'll get a lot more with the OHP.

hmmm, I don't think too much action with the serratus Fadi, you'll get a lot more with the OHP.
Perhaps so Andy, however for me (and possibly for others with similar body mechanics), I truly feel it in my serratus anterior as if someone has punched me in that area. I agree with you though that the OHP, especially the standing military press, also does target and stress this area to a certain degree.

Perhaps so Andy, however for me (and possibly for others with similar body mechanics), I truly feel it in my serratus anterior as if someone has punched me in that area. I agree with you though that the OHP, especially the standing military press, also does target and stress this area to a certain degree.

Have a look at this Fadi and tell what you think.

it actually appears as though the "pullover" type movement involves the serratus more than even the oh press?

100% agree on that Andy, especially when pullovers are done with the appropriate amount of reps by a knowledgeable bodybuilder where deep muscles contractions are felt, instead of applying balls to the wall attitude of hey, watch me lift the heaviest d/bell in the gym type of attitude.

The only reason I did not make mention of what I call the upper body squat movement, i.e , the pullover, was because I wanted to respond to your post within context, i.e, comparing the pus-ups with the OHP.

Now that we've moved on from there, I believe you and are in 100% agreement regarding that superb old school exercise we call the pullover, an exercise that is hardly visited, let alone discussed by the modern day bodybuilder. Perhaps the new machines are to blame, I'm not really sure on that since I train at home and not in one of those so called state of the art gyms springing up everywhere these days.

Well Push up and crunches are not an exercise program.You're only working a few muscles, and you have some 650 voluntary muscles in your body.:confused: