• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Down to 10 on the first set fadi.
Far cry from the 25x37 starting set eh!

Well done for making this far!

Tim.

Down to 10 on the first set fadi.
Far cry from the 25x37 starting set eh!

Well done for making this far!

Tim.
You're 100% correct Tim. It just hurts way too much to keep going past 10 reps, hence the 10x10. It also shows you how critical recovery is, and how some of us at times take our strength and stamina for granted, not realising that we instinctively work hard to maintain both of these parameters in order to "survive" any unforeseeable stressful situation.

Day 2
Eighth session

6:00pm to 6:10pm
EZ bar curls 20kg 10x10 = 100

6:12pm to 6:20pm
French curls 15kg x30, 20, 20, 20, 10 =100

Calling it a day. My arms have had enough. From this moment on it's all about recovery and replenishment. It was a good experience. Now I can say I've done it and know exactly what immediate effects it had on the muscles worked. For other effects to come, I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on that as I go through with next week.

Thank you to one and all for all of your support. I sincerely appreciate it (and very much needed it). So again a big thank you to Ausbb for the opportunity.

Thank you Adrian (Ausbb #1 mod man), and Graeme, Mr. Admin.

Last edited:
Looks like Mr Piana may have had it right at the 8 hour mark [MENTION=12409]L.P.S.[/MENTION] ; whatchoo reckon?

Thanks for the insight Fadi, I'd like to give one day a go, don't think I'd be game enough to back it up on a second day!

Looks like Mr Piana may have had it right at the 8 hour mark @L.P.S. ; whatchoo reckon?

Thanks for the insight Fadi, I'd like to give one day a go, don't think I'd be game enough to back it up on a second day!
Fully agree. I wouldn't do two days next time. I'm thinking b/bell military press next time, but for one day only, especially if I do add some size on arms after this, as that would really be encouraging.

Thank you for your support mate.

Thanks for sharing this Fadi, really interesting comments around the effects of the training and great that you took the time to update after every workout. Well done on completing what you set out to do.

UPDATE:1

Monday 6:30pm rolls by and I'm in unbelievable pain 24 hours post workout, especially in the biceps and brachioradialis (forearm) muscle.

7b4aa9041bad22d9fcebe10486248079.jpg

The triceps are somewhat sore but their pain pales into insignificance in comparison with the other muscles worked on those two days. I grab a measuring tape and take a measure of my arms, and think mmm, what a waste of time. I won't post anything on Ausbb tonight as there's really nothing to write home about. So what was disappointing? My added 1/4 of an inch onto my arms, hence I didn't post yesterday.

Today rolls up, and it's 4:30pm, shortly before heading to work, I thought OK, I'll take another measurement, seeing its being nearly 48 hours since my last workout on Sunday at 6:30pm. Also, I felt the pain have somewhat subsided a little bit more from where it was on Monday night. So I took the measurement, and found that I've added yet another 1/4 of an inch, for a total of 1/2 an inch thus far in this recovery process.

I feel as the pain decreases, my arm size increases; at least that's how it's going so far. My nutrition has not been great, so you can say my arms are growing despite of what I'm doing (nutritionally speaking) instead of because of what I'm doing. In other words, I've created an environment so anabolic, that even with a haphazard nutritional approach, my arms are increasing in size.

This reminded me of when we were teenagers, a time we grew despite of ourselves and not because of how meticulous we were at that age with training and nutrition. When we're young, the hormone insulin ensured we absorbed every last bit of amino acid from the protein foods we ingested at the time. As we get older, insulin takes a back seat (in anabolism) to the amino acid leucine, where the latter becomes the main driver in getting the muscle protein synthesis ball rolling after we ingest our protein foods.

I'll be really impressed if I add one more 1/4 of an inch for a total of 3/4 of an inch for my effort on the previous weekend. I'll keep you updated. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
I'm late into this thread and I just skimmed some of the important stuff so apologies if this question is already dealt with but is there a reason why you consider the increased measurement to be growth rather than short term inflammation? It will be interesting to see whether the measurements recede a bit in a few days time.

I'm late into this thread and I just skimmed some of the important stuff so apologies if this question is already dealt with but is there a reason why you consider the increased measurement to be growth rather than short term inflammation? It will be interesting to see whether the measurements recede a bit in a few days time.

Thanks for your question mate. I hear what you're saying, and my best answer is time will tell. My second best answer however is as follows: inflammation is usually the accumulation of extracellular fluid, giving the muscle tissue a swelling, soft and puffy kind of a look. Intracellular fluid on the other hand, is water that has been drawn in due to an increase in intracellular hydration, something I set out to achieve by attempting this whole exercise (as I mentioned in the original OP).

So, intracellular hydration causes muscle fiber to swell. Research shows that cell swelling acts as a physiological regulator of cell function, stimulating protein accretion by both increasing protein synthesis and decreasing protein breakdown.

If the above sound like gibberish, then please do compare it with the usual muscle pump after a workout. We all know how a muscle pump feels post workout, and that if we were to take a measuring tape to our arms, we'll find 1, an increase in size and not a decrease, and 2, that inflated size quickly subsides, and our arms return back to their original size. Not here. Here I'm finding this process is working in reverse. After Saturday and Sunday hammering, my arms were dead, not pumped up and bigger in size as you would expect. The added size is only becoming apparent now as the pain (let's call it inflammation) is subsiding. So in effect, I should see a decrease in size, yet what I see is an increase in size instead.

Like I said, it's all talk if I don't hold onto whatever increase in measurement I get from this whole exercise, and I'm here to let Ausbb know whether that size increase is maintained or lost in a week or so.

Again, I thank you for your question, as I find it very valid and pertinent to the subject at hand.

[MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION] thanks for the update, I find it really interesting that as you keep feeding the body and it starts to recover your arm actually increased in size. I'll keep watching to see what happens in a week, but even if the gains stay I don't think this is something I am willing to have a go at. Your description of the pain you are feeling in your arms turns me right off.

Any updates @Fadi ;?
Yes sorry mate. Still holding on to that half inch increase. I thought it would increase based on the pain I went through, but half an inch it was and remains so.

Would do I do it again and was it worth it? No, I'd rather stick with conventional workouts instead, even if they take a little bit longer to add some size. But it was good from an experience point of view, hence I have no regrets.

Last edited:
All good!
Half an inch is still half an inch. It didn't subside after a day or even a couple of days so seems like a solid result. When I get my home setup going again I will give one 8 hour session a go out of curiosity. Definitely not going with 2 days though

All good!
Half an inch is still half an inch. It didn't subside after a day or even a couple of days so seems like a solid result. When I get my home setup going again I will give one 8 hour session a go out of curiosity. Definitely not going with 2 days though
Two days was very much an overkill for sure. It may have caused some set back, I can't say. But most certainly a definite no for a two day pattern like I did.

That's what experimenting is all about, and that's what sharing the experience with a gentleman like you is all about also. You learn from my mistakes and aim to do better. That's what it's all about mate.

How's your training of other Body parts going since you did this Fadi?

How's your training of other Body parts going since you did this Fadi?
Was unable to train for a week. If I was squatting or had a leg press machine, then sure I would've been able to do legs. However no upper body anything though. At one stage I became concerned that I may have done some nerve damage, as I could hardly bring my forearms towards my face, with a great feeling of heaviness. In a nutshell, I wouldn't do it again.

Last edited: