• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fadi

This coming weekend, I'd be doing one exercise for the biceps and one for the triceps. These would include 100 reps for each muscle group, made up of sets of around / between 20-40 reps, depending on the rest time between sets and the load. Yes, an increase in intracellular hydration is my aim here, and by that I'm not referring to cell swelling as one experiences when a muscle gets injured and becomes inflamed. I'll get into the finer details of how this whole anabolic/anti-catabolic environment is created later on in this thread.

For the biceps, it's going to be EZ barbell curls done with a wide grip. For the triceps, it's going to be d/bell French curls.

I'll begin around 8am and finish around 8pm, for a total of 2200 repetition (1100 reps for each arm) x2 days, for a total of 4400 reps (2200 for each arm over the course of the weekend).

Calories throughout the day would be made up of what I know can be very easily digested and assimilated by my body.

The fun would begin on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, when I won't be training arms, but eating enough foods that I know work well for me for both protein synthesis as well as glycogenesis.

Is it a crazy experiment? Hell yeh!

It's something I've been meaning to do for a while now, but waiting for the opportunity to get the timing right. And this coming weekend is that time. So stay tuned if you're interested in the finer (and more scientific) details, and the outcome of such an experiment.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I saw something very similar to this in a weider magazine 15 years ago, if I remember rightly the guy (cant remember name) gained an inch on his arms at the end of the day but lost most of that within a couple of days, he also mentioned the need to consume a decent amount of protein throughout the day and to stay hydrated.
I look forward to reading about your experience and your results. Good luck.

Crazy town!
Should be interesting though.

At what weight will the reps be completed at [MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION]; ?

Ever tried the one exercise specialization method? Literally one exercise per session for 6-12 weeks. And when i say one exercise, i mean one exercise...for 6-12 weeks. 2-3 times per week. IE, overpress, push press, squat, deadlift, cleans, or similar. Every session. Every week.

Tim.

This isn't an experiment, it's been around since I was a Boy and before Gooby was a glint in his Father's eye.

I saw something very similar to this in a weider magazine 15 years ago, if I remember rightly the guy (cant remember name) gained an inch on his arms at the end of the day but lost most of that within a couple of days, he also mentioned the need to consume a decent amount of protein throughout the day and to stay hydrated.
I look forward to reading about your experience and your results. Good luck.
You're absolutely correct. There has been similar to what I'll be doing here most definitely. However I haven't seen anything done with 100 reps, a total rep range that works well for me due to the ability to minimising the load / mechanical tension, and maximising on muscle hypertrophy through metabolic stress instead.

Thank you for your thoughtful post Simon, I do appreciate Sir.

Crazy town!
Should be interesting though.

At what weight will the reps be completed at [MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION]; ?

Ever tried the one exercise specialization method? Literally one exercise per session for 6-12 weeks. And when i say one exercise, i mean one exercise...for 6-12 weeks. 2-3 times per week. IE, overpress, push press, squat, deadlift, cleans, or similar. Every session. Every week.

Tim.
Hey Tim, it's crazy town alright. No different (in craziness) than when some of us try reaching some elite level in our chosen sport, sacrificing a hell of a lot on the way. So yes I'm with you 100% Sir, as craziness is all I know.

Regarding the weight, I might start heavier and finish lighter within those 100 reps, or I might just pick a weight that allows for 20 reps or so and do 5 sets of it. However I don't like that idea much. I prefer to pick a particular weight, do as many reps as possible with it, put it down whilst taking a minimal rest interval of say 1 minute max, then continue with as many more reps as possible yet again until 100 reps are completed. So the 1st set might be 30 reps, with the 2nd being 20, and the 3rd 15..15..15..5.

The load on the EZ bar would more than likely be around the 30kg mark, possibly a bit lighter but most definitely not heavier. The load on the d/bell for the French curls I'm looking at 20kg, or possibly a bit lighter..17.5 or even 15kg. I find with this particular exercise, my triceps die suddenly instead of gradually... even though the burn might be more gradual, the actual muscular contraction goes from 100% to 0% in an instant.

As for the one single exercise done for few weeks, I did just that here on Ausbb. I began with doing nothing but back squats, then (on another occasion), I did nothing but front squats, remember? I got great improvements both times.

Thanks for your post Tim, I always appreciate it mate.

This isn't an experiment, it's been around since I was a Boy and before Gooby was a glint in his Father's eye.
I have not done this type of muscle stimulation before, so it's going to be a new and unique experience for me. As I've said already, I've seen a similar pattern to what I intend to do, done by others, however not exactly following the same pattern. We'll see what happens. I thank you for your post Sir.

I have not done this type of muscle stimulation before, so it's going to be a new and unique experience for me. As I've said already, I've seen a similar pattern to what I intend to do, done by others, however not exactly following the same pattern. We'll see what happens. I thank you for your post Sir.

Yep, apologies if my post was a bit terse Fadi.

Good routine for an experiment. Best of luck :)

Taking it up a notch from the Piana 8 hour arm workout Fadi.
I look forward to seeing the results

Taking it up a notch from the Piana 8 hour arm workout Fadi.
I look forward to seeing the results
I wasn't aware of the Piana 8 hour arm workout, but I know (like other respectable members on Ausbb know), that I am not the first one to perform this pattern of lifting. I'd like to say that each pattern is unique onto itself, and the best one is the one that is modified and made suitable for you, the individual lifter. You see, I like higher reps for a reason. Other bodybuilders may think that any rep range above the normal 8-12 is simply there for muscular endurance and an insane pump. I'm one of those lifters who appreciate the muscle pump and all the modern scientific findings supporting its benefits towards muscle hypertrophy.

It goes without saying that the role of heavy loading in muscle hypertrophy is the primary impetus for an adaptive response. By heavy loading, (relatively speaking of course), I'm referring to the mechanical tension side of lifting, one of three factors that have been postulated to mediate hypertrophic adaptations, with the other two factors being metabolic stress, and muscle damage.

This coming weekend, I will be making use of all three factors mentioned above (with the exception of the biceps muscles), as the EZ bar curling action won't do much in the way of biceps damage. For that, one needs to do an exercise that brings in a stretched position whilst under tension/ load. Granted that some focus on the eccentric phase of the lift, or perhaps some added isometrics here and there can also cause some muscle fiber damage, however I won't be utilising either of these protocols. For other exercises that directly cause muscle fiber damage on the micro level, I can think of the Scott curls, or even (to a lesser extent though), the incline bench d/bell curls. I don't like either of this exercises, hence my biceps will be smashed with mechanical tension (as I'll start heavy), then with metabolic stress, as I reduce the weight and rest interval, whilst increasing the reps. The triceps however, would benefit from all three hypertrophic signaling methods mentioned above, as I will allow for bit of a stretch at the bottom of the French curl exercise, and that will be the cause of muscle fiber damage in my triceps.

I'm very much aware that this whole exercise is going to be a balancing act between protein synthesis and breakdown. By the weekend, I would have completed my eating plan beginning on Friday, and coming to a slow down by about Wednesday. I don't wish for my eating plan to become the bottleneck prior, during, and after this event is over. I'll put up the breakdown of everything I'll be eating and drinking, and what result I end up with after I'm fully loaded with nutrients.

Thank you for your interest Sir, I sincerely appreciate it.

Last edited:
[MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION]; Piana also does "Feeder workouts". Those are 100 reps for Arms or Shoulders EVERY night before Bed. He claims to anyway.

@Fadi; Piana also does "Feeder workouts". Those are 100 reps for Arms or Shoulders EVERY night before Bed. He claims to anyway.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that either. I'm not really a great follower of Mr. Piana. As for "Feeder workouts", I'm not sure what he means by that. Back in 2009 when I joined Ausbb, I suggested one try doing 50-100 reps for the same muscle trained the day before. However my message back then was not relating to double stimulation of the same muscle fiber, but simply to flush that previously worked muscle with fresh nutrient carrying blood, to help with the recovery process. So again, not sure if Mr. Piana is referring to that same concept of "Feeding" the muscle with new blood, or whether his purpose is something altogether different.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that either. I'm not really a great follower of Mr. Piana. As for "Feeder workouts", I'm not sure what he means by that. Back in 2009 when I joined Ausbb, I suggested one try doing 50-100 reps for the same muscle trained the day before. However my message back then was not relating to double stimulation of the same muscle fiber, but simply to flush that previously worked muscle with fresh nutrient carrying blood, to help with the recovery process. So again, not sure if Mr. Piana is referring to that same concept of "Feeding" the muscle with new blood, or whether his purpose is something altogether different.

From memory his were every night right before bed:

20 Curls
20 Triceps Exts

repeat x another 4

Or

20 Side Lats
20 Rear Delt flyes

repeat x 4

[MENTION=17161]White_Lie[/MENTION]; can correct me if I'm wrong. He based his life on Rich's philosophies.