• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I am enjoying a rather fine 320gm peice of beef rump right now.
Pan seared both sides then in the oven for 20 minutes. Barely need a knife!
With that, sits half an avocado and some delicious cheddar cheese, a full home fresh tomato and home grown fresh cucumber.

Oh, sorry i thought this was the Food thread.

Hehehe.

Tim.

Seventh session

4:46pm to 5:02pm
EZ curls 25kg x 15, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 5 = 100

5:05pm to 5:12pm
French curls 15kg x 50, 20, 20, 10 = 100

From this moment on (for today), I'll be reducing the EZ curls load down to 20kg. I can't believe I was the same person who easily managed 37 reps this morning on the first set. How dramatically things have changed. It doesn't help that today I am basically fasting (unplanned fasting/forced fasting) as I have left all my food at home. So in a way, today is going to resemble a carb/glycogen depletion kind of a day, which means bigger and better things to come for tomorrow and next week when I seriously load up on food and gorge the much depleted muscle fibers in my arms. Can't wait!

Last edited:
I was initially thinking you went too heavy to begin with but then I started running the figures and you've moved an extra 500kg every session doing 25kg compared to 20kg. That's a huge 3.5T over the 7 sessions completed so far. Its mind blowing how much weight is getting moved in such little time.

I think in terms of volume it would be best to go as heavy as you can and just get the 100 reps done in a set time frame. But there's no right or wrong here, it is an experiment after all!

I was initially thinking you went too heavy to begin with but then I started running the figures and you've moved an extra 500kg every session doing 25kg compared to 20kg. That's a huge 3.5T over the 7 sessions completed so far. Its mind blowing how much weight is getting moved in such little time.

I think in terms of volume it would be best to go as heavy as you can and just get the 100 reps done in a set time frame. But there's no right or wrong here, it is an experiment after all!

I appreciate the way you evaluate the picture mate. I thought about maintaining the 25kg on the bar, but you know what, I'd be cheating myself if I did. I'm really beginning to overuse the mechanical advantage I have at my disposal, a fancy way of saying I'm beginning to cheat too much for any direct benefit to take effect onto the biceps. Last year when I checked for a 1RM in the EZ bar curls, I could manage 50kg for 1rep. So from a percentage point of view, the reps were respectable, but only in the first few sessions of this morning. Now they've dropped way down since my biceps (as well as my brachioradialis muscle) have been exhausted and depleted of glycogen.

brachioradialis-142532225F65E31DE27.jpg

I think I'm running on intramuscular triglycerides now (something I don't have too much of), neither I am optimally suited to use, as I'm not a low carbohydrates/high fat eater. So burning fat is not something I'm as efficient as (say) WoodyAllan would be, as I believe he's a high fat/low carb man (I stand to be corrected).

I definitely think you've made the right choice. Was just looking at the time taken to complete the 100 reps. You started off around the 6-7 minutes and have now gotten up to around 16. If I was doing the same challenge, I think I would set a cut off of say somewhere between 12-15 minutes and when it takes longer than that then I would drop the weight for the next set. Interested to see how long the next lighter one takes.

I'd also like to compare tomorrow's results to today's. Given you'll already be somewhat fatigued from today but refuelled and have food at your disposal throughout the day (hopefully!)

I actually think an extreme level of doms is heading your way [MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION];.
Possinly even tonight.

Tim.

I definitely think you've made the right choice. Was just looking at the time taken to complete the 100 reps. You started off around the 6-7 minutes and have now gotten up to around 16. If I was doing the same challenge, I think I would set a cut off of say somewhere between 12-15 minutes and when it takes longer than that then I would drop the weight for the next set. Interested to see how long the next lighter one takes.

I'd also like to compare tomorrow's results to today's. Given you'll already be somewhat fatigued from today but refuelled and have food at your disposal throughout the day (hopefully!)
Thank you so much for your input and encouragement today Sir, I sincerely appreciate it. I've just completed session number 8,which I'll put up in a minute.

I actually think an extreme level of doms is heading your way @Fadi;.
Possinly even tonight.

Tim.
I did say in an earlier post that if and when I do get DOMS, it's always been at the 36 hour mark. However you may be right on the money this time Tim, since what I've done today is beyond what is termed normal, so perhaps tomorrow (or even tonight) I might experience something anew altogether. I just hope it's not the inflammation (can't even touch the muscle) kind of DOMS. That would be disappointing as it would prevent me from having yet another go tomorrow (let alone move my arms properly)!

Eighth session

6:14pm to 6:20pm
EZ curls (with a reduced weight down to) 20kg x 20, 20, 20, 20, 20 = 100

6:21pm to 6:26pm
French curls 15kg x 50, 20, 20, 10 = 100

I'm calling it a day. Thank God I just realised that I've got to drive home shortly, and I'd like to be somewhat recovered before I sit behind the wheel. Looking forward to tomorrow, if I don't have any bad inflammatory kind of DOMS (if I do get them at all). We'll have to wait and see.

Thanks to everyone who viewed this thread, and a big thank you especially to the members who have participated in it, sharing their thoughts with me. Until tomorrow, have a safe and pleasant night tonight.

Last edited:
Will you be taking a few days off after the weekend? What's the plan?
Yes for sure Adrian. I genuinely feel like my arms are screaming to be filled up. In a way, I'm hoping the measuring tape would register a smaller measurement on Sunday night when I get home, compared with when I started this morning. If my arms get (even a touch) smaller after this weekend, that would be a promising indication of good things to come later on in the week.

Ah yes, back to a 6 minute session... Hope you've got good power steering!
Actually, I felt bit of a pump (or at least I felt my biceps contact) this time. Whether it's because the reduced rest interval (I forgot to mention I reduced the rest interval time back to 45 seconds) since I reduced the weight to 20kg, or whether because the weight is less, the reps are more, coupled with the rest period in between. Whatever it was, I did feel my biceps' contraction more on this session than I've been feeling the last few sessions lifting the 25kg.

Yes (thank God) for the power steering, I'm going to need all of it very soon. Hope I don't get stopped by the police as I haven't got my license on me (in the wallet in the bag at home everything).

For the record: my front deltoids are sore, my side deltoid are sore, my upper trapezius are sore, and my arms and forearms are simply dead.
OK, sore may be a bit too strong a word, but the secondary muscles have most certainly have had to render some assistance today.

Last edited:
Day 2
First session

7:53am to 8:00am
EZ bar curls 20kg x30,20,20,20,10 = 100

8:01am to 8:07am
French curls 15kg x40, 20,20,20 = 100

REFLECTION ON YESTERDAY

We discussed DOMS yesterday and I did say that if and when I get DOMS, it's always been at the 36 hour mark. Tim proposed that I may get it as early as this morning or even in evening of yesterday. Tim was right. My last lift yesterday was done at 6:26pm. It took only 2 hours of no training to get the DOMS..., I was feeling it as I was driving home in fact.

Having been lifting weights for the past 36 going on 37 years, of which 32 were of the bodybuilding style, I can assure you this kind of DOMS was like no other that I've experienced before. When we usually get DOMS, then it's just that, DOMS! Not this time however. This time it was DOMS coupled with muscle fatigue of a special kind. Not even the kind that only lasts whilst in the shower after a heavy pump session. This fatigue has been with me now since yesterday evening, where even the everyday actions have become difficult to do. Actions like brushing my teeth, or washing my face. In fact just lifting my arms towards my face has and is currently laborious, as my arms feel heavy. As I've said, I'm not telling you anything new, anything that you yourselves have not experienced before. The only difference between this and that, is that this is not a transient/quick few hours of muscle tightness or muscle heaviness, but a constant one with a constant reminder as you go about your daily business.

Again, this DOMS (thank God) is not of the inflammatory type, where muscles are extremely sensitive to touch. This one (I feel) will last all of next week though.

WHY PUT MYSELF THROUGH THIS TORTURE?

As you know, I like doing high, make that super high reps. In fact my favourite is to perform only two sets per muscle by doing 2x50, adding weight only when I can manage a straight 50 repetitions to a set. Well, doing what I'm doing now (sets totaling 100 reps) throughout the day, I feel that when it comes to doing a mere 2 sets of 50 per muscle group, it would be (from a psychological point of view), a walk in the park pretty much. It's all about reaching and experiencing a higher level, then doing less. Being fond of airplanes, it's the difference between a maximum power take off, and cruising. The 2x50 (to me) would be cruising after doing this. Heck, I won't be doing them all day long every hour on the hour.

Enough writing, I'm up for session number 2 already today. Ah, this time I've got all my foods with me :)

Last edited:
IMG_20170107_180106_771.jpg

IMG_20170107_064645_528.jpg

IMG_20170108_085803_158.jpg

The juice was made of about 6kg of produce. Made up of the following:

Carrots
Cucumber
Apple
Celery
Lemon
Turmeric root
Jalapeno pepper
Parsley
Beetroot

The turmeric root is great for systemic inflammation, and the jalapeno pepper (even though it has its own powerful nutritional attributes), is used to ensure maximum absorption of the hard to absorb/assimilate turmeric root. Each of the above serves a very powerful purpose in its own right.

In addition to the juices, I also homemade almond milk. With that I mix my whey protein powder.

Edit/add: Extra virgin olive oil is also added (a teaspoon or so) to the above juices to encourage the absorption of the micronutrients lying therein.

Last edited: