• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

spartacus

I find this subject interesting, especially in light of the reality that so many of us may have limb strength imbalances due to a variety of reasons.

I also believe that they have great relevance for many sports, perhaps not so much weightlifting or Olympic lifting.

Like to see goosey get the ball rolling with his thoughts.

Sure!
ill add more later.

Among other benefits the main one being unilateral work allows the limb to move a lot further (safely) than the conventional method.

Sure!
ill add more later.

Among other benefits the main one being unilateral work allows the limb to move a lot further (safely) than the conventional method.

Goosey can you elaborate on what you mean here or give an example, not sure how a limb can move further if you are already using full or good range of motion in the first place ?

Goosey can you elaborate on what you mean here or give an example, not sure how a limb can move further if you are already using full or good range of motion in the first place ?

We'll use the leg press, one with the unilateral movement you can alternate by keeping one leg straight the other leg can go deeper (safely) as opposed to the bilateral movement as the extended leg creates (bracing)more integrity around the spine.

moving bilaterally tends to rotate the hip if you're not careful

i did place an emphasis on safety.

While in some case the unilateral work makes the body work much harder to maintain rigidity which increases the intensity of work, one particular machine is the Medx® pullover (unilateral), you really notice the difference compared to the bilateral movement of the Nautilus® Version

Are you talking here about the use of these exercises to help with injury rehabilitation rather that using them for strength work? I can see how the leg bracing may help you extend the range of motion but if this was done with very heavy weight would it not pose an increased risk to injury due to increased load over an exaggerated range of motion ?

I think it should read as "allowing the limb to move a lot further due to the torso being able to twist during a unilateral exercise"

Are you talking here about the use of these exercises to help with injury rehabilitation rather that using them for strength work? I can see how the leg bracing may help you extend the range of motion but if this was done with very heavy weight would it not pose an increased risk to injury due to increased load over an exaggerated range of motion ?

What you say is often stated and ignorant, as with everything it takes time to biuld strength via progressive resistance so if one takes the time to biuld strength over a protracted time then how strong would one be if one slowly built the poundage from say; 25lb per leg to 150lb per leg?

i think you'd find, pretty strong wouldn't you think.

But the only way to found out is to do.

And! Yes bi and uni lateral exercise can be used for both rehab and strength building, can you dig it?

Last edited:
n
Looking at your questions simp.

What do you clean by as 'exaggerated movement " ?

I assume you wanted to write 'mean' or 'class' and not 'clean'

I'll try an answer as best I can. You gave leg press as you example and said the by having the other leg braced you can go deeper safely. I envisaged someone doing a single leg press where they took the knee much further back than then would do with a full range of motion movement on a double leg press. With the double leg press, your body is usually under your legs and so your chest or stomach depending on your build limits your range of motion. With a single the bracing is different and the knee can come further back towards the shoulder hence extending the range of motion. This I would call exaggerated (more then normal full ROM).

I guess the key word in your original statement was 'safe' and with your further clarification around the slow build up of weight lifted then the likelyhood to over extend or not control the weight is greatly reduced.

The hips and associated flexibility id have thought were the limitation in a normal leg press. Most people will experience the old hip tick or butt wink with a two legged leg press. When you brace one leg below the pressing plate, that essentially holds the hip in place no? Allowing a safer increase in ROM.

No?

Im no exercise physiologist.

Tim.

Me either Tim but that sounds likely although it would vary greatly between people based on flexibility surely ?

Me either Tim but that sounds likely although it would vary greatly between people based on flexibility surely ?
Possibly.

But i think even the most flexible of people would acheive a greater ROM with a single leg.

Tim.

My (somewhat) dislike for unilateral movements or lifts is not the lack of applicability but rather the time it takes to complete them.

For someone time pressed, they are a waste of time. Now by time pressed i mean guys who cant train more than 45minutes or so.

But thats another topic in itself i guess.

If you have more time then go ahead. If you dont, the big heavy compound movements are your greatest tool, and should be the focus of every workout before even considering a unilateral movement, unless of course (as outlined already) injury or imbalance has provided a greater level of reasoning.

Tim.

When you say this @Goosey are you suggesting replacing squats with a one leg movement for a period and seeing if it results in a stronger squat or just talking about adding the one leg movement as an accessory after a main movement. How would one program unilateral movement in terms of sets and progression differently to a compound movement ? Your thoughts ?