• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Then stick to push ups.
No safeties, no bench.
Safeties aren't a luxury, they are necessities.
meh, I honestly don't think there's that greater risk so long as you aren't using suicide grip and aren't maxing out your 1RM

meh, I honestly don't think there's that greater risk so long as you aren't using suicide grip and aren't maxing out your 1RM
Ok. What if your repping out with 130 coz your 1rm is over 150 and your shoulder pops or gives out, or your wrist?

Ok. What if your repping out with 130 coz your 1rm is over 150 and your shoulder pops or gives out, or your wrist?
Then you'll eat shit, odds of this happening are extraordinarily minimal though.

I'll take my chances

Frankly, all this could be avoided by the use of safety stops. While the bar may hit your body, as the stops need to be low enough for you to touch the bar to your chest, it stops the extreme compression of the full weight crushing your rib cage.

No matter how good the spotters, stopping a weight that slips so quickly is near impossible, given the distance of the bar to the chest at any given moment. Squatting, you have from shoulders to floor to get hold of the weight. With bench, you only have about 1/4 of that distance.

So, just whine and bitch until your gym gives up on renewing their 45 leases on treadmills and buys a decent bench press rack.

This is one of the many reasons why I hate "fitness" gyms. They spend all the money on crap you don't need (just go for a walk outside, ffs) and skimp or omit the stuff that's important. Like a barbell that actually weighs 20kg, instead of 18, with a knurl that you can actually feel and a shaft that won't bend after a week's use. Sure, have crap bars for beginners or bros, as they won't know the difference, but surely you can fork out $500 for a half decent barbell for the more advanced lifters.

When all else fails, improvise. I used a squat rack for a few years:

bands-bench-press2.jpg

Or just buy a bench setup with stops. Its not that hard.

102hhc.png

Blaine Sumner built these metal tables for squat safeties, as he trains alone. They can also be used for bench safeties, with the advantage of catching the plates, and not wreck the barbell.

10895095_1672026696370573_1693475583_n.jpg

Then you'll eat shit, odds of this happening are extraordinarily minimal though.

I'll take my chances

Sorry mate, but Shrek's right.

In fact, the medical fraternity have actually named the crushing of your rib cage as being "Shrekked". It has a negative connotation, such as, "I just did bench and I got Shrekked."

It's similar to being "shafted" such as when Deshaun has his first night in F block. "I hardly slept at all. I got shafted by my cell mate, but not in a good way."

Ergo, "I got shrekked in the gym, but not in a good way."

More often than not the gyms have the equipment thrown in when they purchase the treadmills.

you are an idiot if you take risks in the gym, squatting and benching with no safety method is...