• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
That's how Lisa Wilkinson got her start!

7cc083fdf73dca6a20381674fd4c788f.jpg

Thanks for the video Fadi.

I'm one step in front of you though. I already have the broomstick. Actually, it's a piece of heavy dowel, about 25mm diameter and longer than my full arm stretch. I bought it for shoulder dislocates and while using it, I thought that going one step further would be a fun idea: using it to practice snatches.

I also am expecting a new barbell to arrive either this week or in about another month or two (depending on the courier beating the christmas rush) and will use that as the next step, doing practice lifts with the empty bar.

But first I wanted to find out how to do the lifts properly so that I don't have to relearn stuff later. Or get injured. It would be embarrassing to get an injury with an empty bar. Or a broomstick for that matter.

I have started watching this vid as well. It has an interesting point on where to hold the bar so that it sits in the right position when just standing upright. But still have yet to watch it all.

I've watched the three videos as you've uploaded them. Regarding the point where to hold the bar, I've got this to say: there are more than one method of assessing the width of the hands on a bar, and all do give equally good results. However I subscribe to none, and (I believe) for a good reason. Many a time, a coach hinders a lifter's capabilities simply because they choose to do things by the book. I on the other hand choose to do things by the lifter's imprinted book, the book that makes you you, the individual lifter.

The way I feel about the methods that help assess the width of the hands on a lifting bar, is the same way I regard someone telling you where to place your feet when you squat, for best results.

My method is here's the bar, now grab it and lift it. I don't tell you where your hands should grab it, in fact not even your own intellect factors (or ought to) factor in here, only your body's mechanics and the feedback they give you, ought to stand in judgment of exactly where your hands and feet width ought to be for you.

If the above sounds too simplistic, and/or you prefer a detailed methodology of how and why you ought to do this or that, then in me (at least), you'd find someone who really does not subscribe to such rigidity. I'm all for standing back, and allowing the lifter to show me what he can do. Then, and only then would I add my input, and only where is needed, lest I rob that lifter of his true potential by having him fixed into my mould of txt book lifting.

I know the reason for why I'm different from the norm. It's because my command of the English language was not at its best back in 1980 (two and half years after arriving in Oz). So the less words spoken and the more lifting done the better. Sure there are some fundamentals to lifting a weight off the ground etc., and that ought to be taken care of, but even that does not need a spoken word to be uttered. Silent coaching, where the only sound made is the sound of that Olympic weightlifting bar smashing onto the platform. There's more to be said, but it suffice to say that your best bet to learning the Olympic lifts, is to have a proficient coach who has been there done that (as far as knowing how to lift himself), to guide you through only where is necessary.

People who turn Olympic weightlifting into some complicated txt books have - well, txt books to sell and /or a "magical" way of teaching that perhaps no one has known before. We both know there's no magic formula, and I'm here to give you 100% assurance that you sir, have it within you to lift in the same manner I was lifting.

Sorry for the above novel, but I know you're an anti BS man, hence my words above were written.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I know what you mean by all that. My method for foot placement with the deadlift is to take two paces then jump to touch the roof. Where you place your feet just before you jump is where your body is most comfortable and powerful.

The video did mention that it was a beginning point and hand placement and other setup points can be adjusted as more experience is gained and a person's individual design comes into play. Using my trusty broomstick with the rings and sleeves marked on it, my grip seems to be right up against the sleeves. But then I do have very long arms.

The video you posted has a followup video showing self massage of the wrist, forearm, tricep and lat. The guy doing the massage cannot hold the bar in the final clean position, or front squat position. After just a couple of minutes on his right side, he can hold the bar correctly, sitting it on the bunched up delt. The left arm is much more "deflated" and elbow too far down, with the bar not sitting on the delt. Amazing results from just a bit of massage.

Found it:

Help.

Been doing some tentative snatch practice as an adjunct to my powerlifting training. Thought it might help with shoulder mobility. Anyhoo, short story shorter, I have no problem practicing the "jump and catch" part of the beginners drills. But dropping down into overhead snatch position ends up with me doing a face plant.

Tried again yesterday and found that I could do it OK as long as my heels were elevated by about 4-5cm. My shoulder mobility definitely needs work but I'm certain that's not the main problem. After using The Google a bit I think it might all come down to my calves being too tight. That causes, I think, ankle mobility problems. That in turn makes me face plant.

I am using Nike lifting shoes so thats already included in the equation.

I can easily do prayer squat stretches and am used to doing deep squats so I don't think it's hip mobility.

Any ideas?

Any solutions?

I'll give it another go today after doing some calf foam rolling and deep stretches using the calf raise machine and see if that starts to help. I remember a few years back including overhead squats in my workout and they were fine then, except me being a weak bitch and only going up to half a plate. But I could get down OK with the bar overhead.