• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
What are some less common exercises that you do that others may not know about? Just something that hits the specific muscle well but other people might not even know to try?

D/bell pullovers for the triceps' long head and the serratus anterior. Now I've previously written a small article on the benefits of this old school exercise here: Getting down to business with one of the best upper body mass , however this time I'm directing the emphasis on what not this exercise is used for (when it is used). When the pullovers exercise is used, it is mainly used, (depending on your body's mechanics), for either the latissimus dorsi or the pectoralis major (or both if you're one of the more responsive lifters). However no one goes in expecting the long head of their triceps or their serratus anterior to be fried by this magnificent exercise. Yet, with a lighter weight and more repetitions, you can be sure that these two muscle parts will be worked to their absolute max.

2. Handstand pushups and behind neck press. No I'm not advocating what all the modern "experts" are cautioning lifters about, however I find great value when performing the behind neck barbell press. The handstand pushups just completes the portrait when one also adds the barbell military press. I'm very much aware that bodybuilders do not see these three movements as direct specific shoulder muscle targeters like some side laterals etc. However I've yet to see someone with huge thick/dense shoulders/trapezius who does not perform some of the aforementioned exercises.

3. Power cleans..., this beast (which is my favourite of anything that has anything to do with lifting weights), is a staple of mine that ensures my neurons are firing at an optimal level, especially as I get older. You could say that power cleans for me is what coffee is for a morning person who depends on caffeine to get going.

3. Power cleans..., this beast (which is my favourite of anything that has anything to do with lifting weights), is a staple of mine that ensures my neurons are firing at an optimal level, especially as I get older. You could say that power cleans for me is what coffee is for a morning person who depends on caffeine to get going.

I love ^this Fadi. People like to 'hate on' the Power Clean as being harmful but I'm starting to think the Power Clean is one of the least harmful exercises I've done
- the Squat and Deadlift and even Rows having caused me more harm over the years.

That being said I wouldn't recommend a Newb jumping straight into it.

I've been thinking of exercises top do to increase forearm strength/mass.

One idea i had was buy a couple of 10/12" stilsons and screw them onto the outers of a smith machine bar, then hang 2 or 5 kilos off each with a string and just twist the weight up and down.

Edit: Or just get something like this:
forearm-exercise-equipment-wrist-roller.jpg

I love ^this Fadi. People like to 'hate on' the Power Clean as being harmful but I'm starting to think the Power Clean is one of the least harmful exercises I've done
- the Squat and Deadlift and even Rows having caused me more harm over the years.

That being said I wouldn't recommend a Newb jumping straight into it.

Good point Sir. I think people who "hate on" the power clean as being harmful, would somewhat compare it with a chiropractor vs (say) a physiotherapist. The fear of the chiropractor is in the way he achieves his end result, with violent manipulation of a particular body part. Similarly, the way (the only way) one can successfully perform a power clean is to apply explosiveness from start to finish. That (the sudden and violent) movement is what really concerns some "experts", causing them to advise people or the general athlete to stay clear of the power clean.

With all the issues I've had so far with my leg muscles, causing me to give up squats and cleans and anything that places my legs under pressure whilst in a below knee position, I've got to say that the power cleans reign supreme here as they bypass all injures, be they lower back; legs, and/or knee related injuries. Even if your wrists aren't made of steel, you can still perform the power cleans successfully, for one does not have to rest the bar on his clavicles, but merely reach that point before immediately dropping the weight back down, with zero stress on the wrists or elbows.

So in a nutshell, if you tell me that you're injured here and there, I would tell you to go and perform some power cleans.