• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
4 hrs a week?
Closer to 9 for me.

Tim.

Haha. Ok sorry 9 out of 168. Still leaves 95% of the time for recovery. Let's all relax a bit about overtraining and needing to deload.

Now this doesn't apply to elite athletes. If that's you, you will have a trainer and not be searching for answers on a BB forum.

Haha. Ok sorry 9 out of 168. Still leaves 95% of the time for recovery. Let's all relax a bit about overtraining and needing to deload.

Now this doesn't apply to elite athletes. If that's you, you will have a trainer and not be searching for answers on a BB forum.

Whilst I get what you are saying about how long and hard most of us train. If for the average old guy, a deload every 6-8 weeks keeps you from feeling beat up and keeps your training going why does it matter. As you say we are not elite but if having an easy week here and there feels good and keeps us training I say its a good idea.

I think it really comes down to intensity. If you're going balls to the wall, every set to failure, pushing your max weekly; yeah, a deload will have benefits and necessary. If you're someone who goes through the motions a bit and aren't getting near failure, there's no need.

Whilst I get what you are saying about how long and hard most of us train. If for the average old guy, a deload every 6-8 weeks keeps you from feeling beat up and keeps your training going why does it matter. As you say we are not elite but if having an easy week here and there feels good and keeps us training I say its a good idea.

I'm not saying never have a day off or a light week. I'm saying for the average guy don't bother planning one, you won't know when you need a break. These cookie cutter programs don't know when you need a break either.

If you feel great smash out the weights. If you feel shit take a day off.

Guys with coaches will have their coach monitor them and give a rest when needed.

Last edited:
Adequate Hydration and sleep are key factors.

whether one works hard digging holes or one works hard behind a desk is moot.
I don't think that's true at all. Your body is going to be repairing itself much more effectively if you're seated at a desk as opposed to digging holes.

I don't think that's true at all. Your body is going to be repairing itself much more effectively if you're seated at a desk as opposed to digging holes.

Whilst that does seem likely, I know if I sit for long periods at my desk and do not get up and walk around my body is far from feeling rested and recovered. If anything my hips and lower back are more sore if I spend time sitting than if I am at a site on my feet all day. Now the muscles themselves may be recovering more but it doesn't feel like it. I would think there is logic that suggest if you are moving around and more blood is flowing through the muscles then more nurtients can be delivered and waste material removed hence aiding recovery further.

Last edited:
Nicely stated simp.

A stressful desk job can really impact on ones abilities, I've done both.
In fact I'd go on to say that being sedentary while under high stress for hours at a time can really effect one health.

Nicely stated simp.

A stressful desk job can really impact on ones abilities, I've done both.
In fact I'd go on to say that being sedentary while under high stress for hours at a time can really effect one health.
Agreed but that does not apply if you are training on the way home from your sedentary job. The original point was about recovery from training so not a sedentary person.

I feel that movement is important in recovery the same way simo does but movement and strenuous work are not the same.

I have done both as well although I don't buy into stress too much. I know which I'd rather do if I was training seriously.

. I know which I'd rather do if I was training seriously.

Me too, some easy movement coupled with sleeping on the couch and eating shit loads, but I can find a job that offers this and pays the mortgage ;-)

Agreed but that does not apply if you are training on the way home from your sedentary job. The original point was about recovery from training so not a sedentary person.

I feel that movement is important in recovery the same way simo does but movement and strenuous work are not the same.

I have done both as well although I don't buy into stress too much. I know which I'd rather do if I was training seriously.

forgetaboutit, could not be bothered.

Last edited:
whilst that does seem likely, i know if i sit for long periods at my desk and do not get up and walk around my body is far from feeling rested and recovered. If anything my hips and lower back are more sore if i spend time sitting than if i am at a site on my feet all day. Now the muscles themselves may be recovering more but it doesn't feel like it. I would think there is logic that suggest if you are moving around and more blood is flowing through the muscles then more nurtients can be delivered and waste material removed hence aiding recovery further.

very well put simo, there's wisdom in them there words

yep

Hi Guys
What would you consider as a light workout week?. Slowing the reps down?, 12 rep exercises just lifting enough not to failure and reducing your volume?.

just asking as my light weeks are still creating me doms due to always contracting and using TOT technique but not as much strain as a heavy week . i still feel very good compared to a heavy week where im full buggered.

your thoughts and opinions please !

Having read and pondered over the above, I think that the most critical word of the lot is "doms". I think it's this word that has and is the cause of confusion amongst many a bodybuilder.

Please consider the following if you will:

1. Doms does not necessarily mean you've had a productive workout.
2. Doms does not mean muscle growth and adaptation has not taken place.

If we reflect upon the two points I've raised above, the picture would become much clearer. You see, doms could be the result of placing a muscle fiber under stress whilst in a stretched position. Doms could also be the result of doing something that in a particular manner that the muscle, or muscle group have not been accustomed to. One can squat and dead lift 7 days a week, yet get severe doms after mowing the grass... (uneven/downhill/uphill) grassy area.

Doms and muscle growth and adaptation. Simply because you've got Doms, does not mean your muscles have not began to adapt and grow within 1 hour post your workout. That's how protein synthesis works, and it has to work that way (and not wait until Doms dissipate), or one will never see his muscle grow.

So the association of Doms with either having had a good workout, or having not recovered and therefore protein synthesis would have to wait until that stage..., does not hold any truth.

What would I consider a light week is a totally different question, a reply I'll leave for another post.

Thank you.