• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Coles and woolies give no fuck at all for sell price because the manufacturer will often "contribute" the shortfall between buy/sell price on the shelf.

The only person getting screwed is the supplier, the customer has a choice.

Coles and woolies give no fuck at all for sell price because the manufacturer will often "contribute" the shortfall between buy/sell price on the shelf.

The only person getting screwed is the supplier, the customer has a choice.

This.

They would charge exactly the same if it was by weight.

Ice cream doesn't have to weight 1kg per liter, some ice creams are supposed to be lighter and creamier. It doesn't have to be dense like a brick.

Correct, but it's not "lighter and creamier" because some fairy waived it's magic wand over it. It's "lighter and creamier" because it's pumped full of tiny nitrogen bubbles. So, you are not buying 2L of ice cream. You are buying about 1.5L of ice cream and a lot of inert gas. I do believed that it was Margaret Thatcher in her pre-PM job as an industrial chemist who perfected that particular ploy to boost profits for ice cream makers.

That's why real ice cream, if I may use that term, is denser. It's just cream, sugar and a few flavours and/or fruit bits.

Bulla, Cadbury, non name, etc is pumped full of nitrogen to bulk it up. It also makes it easier to scoop and is less solid to eat.

Ice cream, being a solid, should be sold by weight. Like ice cream's dear and close cousins, butter, cheese, cottage cheese, etc. That's all sold by weight.

Bottom line is that it's just another marketing scam. Knowledge is power.

Agreed, can't see why it should weigh the same as water...doesn't the same volume of ice weigh less than water anyway?

I'm not saying it should weigh the same. But it should be very similar. Yes, ice weighs less for a given volume. That's why ice floats and why lakes don't freeze from the bottom up.

But ice cream, sold as 2L, should be pretty close to 2kg, based on the weight of water. Or even based on the weight of 2L of ice.

In reality, ice cream is much, much lighter than 2kg for 2L. From memory it was about 30% less or maybe more. Maybe someone can pull out an unopened container of ice cream and weigh it. It should be, in theory, 2kg or close to it. More if you count the weight of the container. Then, to double check, after the eatin' is all done, compare the same container filled to the same level with water.

The point I'm making is, no matter if sold by weight or volume, you are being ripped off. If it was a true 2L of ice cream, it would weigh around 2kg. It's not. So, even based on the volume, you are being ripped off. It's like buying a litre of milk, or any other product, that has a bunch of bubble wrap stuffed in there to boost the volume.

Real ice cream is essentially frozen custard. Nothing beats it for taste if you can be bothered making it (and have an ice cream maker)

Isn't the size/weight/density rather irrelevant if you're happy paying the price for the product and quantity you're getting?

Last edited:
Real ice cream is essentially frozen custard. Nothing beats it for taste if you can be bothered making it (and have an ice cream maker)

I make my own. Super simple and much cheaper. Tastes better too.

2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk (or just make it 4 cups of cream)
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
Pinch salt

Mix. Stick it in an ice cream maker. Make sure the mix is cold before mixing to maximise texture.

Isn't the size/weight/density rather irrelevant if you're happy paying the price for the product and quantity you're getting?

Maybe, if that's all you are wanting.

If you bought a 2kg bag of WPI protein powder but found out after that you only got 1.5kg, the rest being filler, would you be happy? I dunno. Maybe if, gram for gram, it was the same price as any other WPI.

The protein spiking scandal is pretty much that. WPI or WPC diluted with cheap amino acid. I'm pretty sure customers will not be just shrugging their swole shoulders and saying, "watcha gonna do?" and place another order with Gaspari.

With ice cream you are buying a container that says, "2L" or whatever but you are getting 1.5L or less. Happy? Not me.

grumpycat.jpg.560x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Correct, but it's not "lighter and creamier" because some fairy waived it's magic wand over it. It's "lighter and creamier" because it's pumped full of tiny nitrogen bubbles. So, you are not buying 2L of ice cream. You are buying about 1.5L of ice cream and a lot of inert gas. I do believed that it was Margaret Thatcher in her pre-PM job as an industrial chemist who perfected that particular ploy to boost profits for ice cream makers.

That's why real ice cream, if I may use that term, is denser. It's just cream, sugar and a few flavours and/or fruit bits.

Bulla, Cadbury, non name, etc is pumped full of nitrogen to bulk it up. It also makes it easier to scoop and is less solid to eat.

Ice cream, being a solid, should be sold by weight. Like ice cream's dear and close cousins, butter, cheese, cottage cheese, etc. That's all sold by weight.

Bottom line is that it's just another marketing scam. Knowledge is power.

I don't know if Cadbury or what ever pump nitrogen in it, Don't care. Lol. Churning ice cream will make it lighter and fluffier. You can do it with one of those bench top ice cream makers at home. No big conspiracy or nitrogen pump needed. Lol.

All hail the powerful woody because of his ice cream knowledge.

This is it. It would be a conspiracy and we were starving and total calories for survival were the aim. We buy ice cream because we like it. If you don't like it you don't buy it.

Hey woody. My mum would sometimes make chocolate mousse for dessert when I was a kid. That shit is fluffy as, bubbles all through it. You telling me that bitch was part of the conspiracy and ripping me off all those years.