• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
V

Vanessa

Hi everyone

Hoping for some advice on 2.4km time trial for police entry test. In Feb I started training x 5 days at the gym, combination of strength work and conditioning and fat loss (I was 30kg heavier then) . In July I started running the 2.4 distance as a warm up prior to training. I would do this around 3 times a week and it seemed to be going well. In September I posted 13.03 (I had to get 14.10). I was pretty comfortable about this. After the test we were advised NOT to train for the 2.4 by doing the 2.4km but rather do longer runs of 5km and building up to 20-25km a week - I had to do this on a treadmill as I get up at 4am and don't want to run outside at that time. So I did that as well as x 3 times a week in the gym. In the last 4 weeks I have been doing interval training on treadmill x 30 secs off and 30 secs on at 11 speed to 30 minutes

Yesterday I posted a 16 minute time for the 2.4km time trial and felt awful the whole run like I had never run. I was out of breath and it was horrible.

I now have to re test in Feb.

I don't why my running has gone backwards, what I am doing wrong.

Any advice on what my training should look like would be appreciated as I am getting all sorts of different advice, ie keep doing long slow runs, no do intervals, no dont train for the 2.4 by doing the 2.4, yes do this...:confused:

The treadmill will have stuffed you up. Do not do treadmill running to get fit for normal running. Its not the same.

Keep it simple. Run 3km. Keep doing it until you can do 3km in 14min and then you will shit in the 2.4km.

..... or if you must use the treadmill, work your schedule to do a 3k run on the weekend during the day. Shouldn't take more than 30min out of your day including warmup, run and warm down.

..... or if you must use the treadmill, work your schedule to do a 3k run on the weekend during the day. Shouldn't take more than 30min out of your day including warmup, run and warm down.

15min is all you need. You don't need a warmup or warm down for a 3km jog. Lol.

Thanks guys - now its lighter I can run outside. How come the treadmill does not work? Even on an incline? Come to this conclusion myself the hard way!

I just did the 3km outside and also some interval training after that.

So you suggest running the 3km everyday? 7 days a week?

The treadmill will have stuffed you up. Do not do treadmill running to get fit for normal running. Its not the same.

Keep it simple. Run 3km. Keep doing it until you can do 3km in 14min and then you will shit in the 2.4km.

Thanks Bazza lol ...I'll keep doing the 3km and aim for the 14 min - your right as if I do 3km in 14 I will easily make the 2.4 under that

You're asking for trouble if you run with no warmup or cooldown, even if it is only 3km. Put in the 10-15 minutes and do them, or you'll regret it weeks/months down the track.

You're asking for trouble if you run with no warmup or cooldown, even if it is only 3km. Put in the 10-15 minutes and do them, or you'll regret it weeks/months down the track.

You are joking right. It's not a sprint. 3km jog is warmup pace. It's a warmup itself.

Yep I always warm up for at least 10 min and then 10 min to finish.

You are joking right. It's not a sprint. 3km jog is warmup pace. It's a warmup itself.

I think if your going at a slow pace it might be and obviously I am right now. Yesterday there were guys doing the 2.4 in 8 min or so. I don't think I can ever get to there but I would like to eventually get to 10 to 11 minutes.

I think if your going at a slow pace it might be and obviously I am right now. Yesterday there were guys doing the 2.4 in 8 min or so. I don't think I can ever get to there but I would like to eventually get to 10 to 11 minutes.

I like not wasting time and warming up for something that is basically warmup pace even when done hard is a waste of time to me. If people want to do a warmup and warm down, go for it.

What is going to happen if you don't warm up? What is the major jogging injury?

The treadmill is fine to improve your conditioning and some of the benefits do translate to road running but as others have said on here it is not exactly the same.

If you have to use the treadmill I would use it for intervals but the intervals need to be a lot longer than 30 secs, try doing 800m intervals. To do 2.4km in 13 mins you need to run at 5:24 pace (5 mins 24 secs per km), or 11km per hour.
Try this, warm up for a couple of mins on the treadmill then run at 11km/hr for 800m, then jog for 200m, then run 12km/hr for 800m, then jog for 200m, then run 13km/hr for 800m then cool down for a few mins. Keep the treadmill in 1% incline.

Then when you can run outside just do a hard 3km run as the others on here have suggested.

The treadmill is fine to improve your conditioning and some of the benefits do translate to road running but as others have said on here it is not exactly the same.

If you have to use the treadmill I would use it for intervals but the intervals need to be a lot longer than 30 secs, try doing 800m intervals. To do 2.4km in 13 mins you need to run at 5:24 pace (5 mins 24 secs per km), or 11km per hour.
Try this, warm up for a couple of mins on the treadmill then run at 11km/hr for 800m, then jog for 200m, then run 12km/hr for 800m, then jog for 200m, then run 13km/hr for 800m then cool down for a few mins. Keep the treadmill in 1% incline.

Then when you can run outside just do a hard 3km run as the others on here have suggested.

For me treadmill running feels nothing like normal running. You just roll the legs over, it never translated over to normal running fitness for me.

For me treadmill running feels nothing like normal running. You just roll the legs over, it never translated over to normal running fitness for me.
Its just another tool and how well it translates will vary by person I guess, I agree that it pulls your feet back and kind of makes you run, so it doesn't effect the leg muscles the same as running outside. It does still get the heart rate up into the anaerobic zone which is what you need to be training to run a got hard 2km. I used it a few years ago when I was training to run up Mount Buller because I live by the bay in Melbourne and it is flat as a witches tits, so no hill close to home. I was running 5km at 5-7% incline 3 times a week and it definitely helped with my hill running. This was however part of a bigger training week that included all up 60-70km of running, I didn't rely on just the treadmill.​

Google Percy Cerutty, and search for the stotan philosophy.
*train hard (run) and lift weights

*to get better at an activity you need to train for it.
dont do any stupid interval shit on a treadmill

Its just another tool and how well it translates will vary by person I guess, I agree that it pulls your feet back and kind of makes you run, so it doesn't effect the leg muscles the same as running outside. It does still get the heart rate up into the anaerobic zone which is what you need to be training to run a got hard 2km. I used it a few years ago when I was training to run up Mount Buller because I live by the bay in Melbourne and it is flat as a witches tits, so no hill close to home. I was running 5km at 5-7% incline 3 times a week and it definitely helped with my hill running. This was however part of a bigger training week that included all up 60-70km of running, I didn't rely on just the treadmill.​

"I didn't rely on just the treadmill"

That then begs the question, was it worth it?

Thankyou!