• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Its not just you @steveP lots of people get good carry over from the treadmill to the road. There are even running groups in Melbourne who do 1-2 sessions of their weekly volume on treadmills. I found for me that the treadmill worked well for increasing my running cadence as you have to turn the legs over quick to keep up with the belt. This translated into better running economy and faster times on the road. However for what the OP wants to achieve a simple run 3-4 days a week over the distance required and go harder each time will achieve the desired results.

We got there in the end

We got there in the end

Not sure what you mean, this is not different to my initial post. The OP stated they had to use a treadmill as they ran at 4am and didn't want to run outside at this time of day. So the advice I gave was predicated on if they 'have to use a treadmill' but I also suggested they run outside for 3km as often as hey could.

Not sure what you mean, this is not different to my initial post. The OP stated they had to use a treadmill as they ran at 4am and didn't want to run outside at this time of day. So the advice I gave was predicated on if they 'have to use a treadmill' but I also suggested they run outside for 3km as often as hey could.

Settle down tiger.

your post was cool, we all went around in circles for a minute, your post was well written

If it helps any, I trained for the Melbourne Marathon recently, failed due to injury but during the training the longer runs really helped my shorter runs. At one stage a 16km became an easy run. I remember when my long run was about 24km, I did a 6km run at a faster pace and I was running a lot faster than I had ever run that before. Not that you'd need to run that far but maybe having long runs under your belt will make the 2.4km feel like a very small run.

Thank you sincerely for all your advice. It's very consistent. I think my main take outs are that you have to train specific for an event, treadmill training was useful for a time as conditioning tool but I over relied on and it didn't transfer to what I had to do. Train for the actual distance decreasing time each time..some HIT will be useful as well.

Yep you got it in one.

Some suggestions of the occasional long(er) run are probably good as well, but I would not over do it, the occasional 4-5km run might help.

But at the end of the day do not lose focus on what you need to do to pass your test, really that's all that matters, the rest is just fluff.