• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I still stand by that the treadmill will prepare you for the outdoor running about 90%. A lot of the training is mental and feeling comfortable being uncomfortable. In theory the technique should be totally different when running on the ground, but I barely noticed a difference.

For the experts on running, do you run?

For me as a non runner, the treadmill was a good stepping stone but I did not switch over I just kept doing the treadmill - I like your point about feeling comfortable being uncomfortable

Bazza your absolutely right that fitness has to be specific. I have not had the right training balance for what I need to do. Feel like such a dumb ass and now with no ass because I am convinced its dissipated because of the treadmill!

Don't look at it as a negative look at it as you discovering a method that doesn't work for you. It's only a waste of time if you don't learn from your mistakes.

In any case you will have gained some general endurance usually means you will get that specific fitness quicker.

Have a look online. There are plenty of downloadable training programs for all distances available. Check out some running specific sites. Most running programs use a wave/step loading approach. You will likely have less success training for a 2.4 by running only a 2.4 every day.

Have a look online. There are plenty of downloadable training programs for all distances available. Check out some running specific sites. Most running programs use a wave/step loading approach. You will likely have less success training for a 2.4 by running only a 2.4 every day.

What was the target. 2.4km in 14 min. No need to get fancy.

Haha some funny replies. In this case go with Bazza, he is spot on.

If you are just doing cardio for the sake of doing cardio then do what you like, if you are training to run 2.4km in a certain time, do the actual task you are training for not a pretend task like running on a tread mill which does most of the hard work for you.

If you just want to complete the task at hand map out your distance, run the distance and time it, next day run it again and try to get faster, rest then repeat. How often should you run?? It being a relatively short distance you could do it twice a day, but three to four times a week should be enough.

The reason you went backwards were twofold, using a tread mill does not translate to real life running, and running long distances does not translate to running a shorter distance fast, especially when you been training to run long slow runs on a tread mill instead of hitting the actual pavement, uneven ground, hills, and valleys etc.

Last edited:
HTML:
No need to get fancy.

Yep. Its not rocket science. Just run the distance then aim for better time each run. Usually takes me just 3 weeks to drastically improve my running time over a set distance. Its why so may people run to "get fit". Its easy. Improvements happen quickly and society has, for some strange reason, all sorts of awe and wonder for people who go for a run. Never could figure it out. Its like getting a medal for breathing. But, each to their own.

HTML:

Yep. Its not rocket science. Just run the distance then aim for better time each run. Usually takes me just 3 weeks to drastically improve my running time over a set distance. Its why so may people run to "get fit". Its easy. Improvements happen quickly and society has, for some strange reason, all sorts of awe and wonder for people who go for a run. Never could figure it out. Its like getting a medal for breathing. But, each to their own.

Yep I find the same. You get fast improvements in cardio fitness but you also lose it fast.

The awe of running is funny. It's the same when someone runs a marathon in 8 hours and people praise how awesome they are. Nope that's fucking shit.

Most people that are in awe of running or runners are just people who are too fken lazy to do anything, so the though of running any kind of distance seems extreme to them. I think with running much like other sports, how quickly you improve has a lot to do with your history of sports in general. Those of you who played football for many years as a child and young adult will often find it a lot easier to improve quickly when returning to running. On the other hand those that have led a sedentary life and done no running or sports and then take up running in middle age find it much harder. The lungs and muscles adapt to the exercise quite quickly but the tendons and ligaments take longer to become accustomed and often those new to running end up with niggle and injuries within the first few months.

You didn't ask me but on holiday a couple years back in the middle of footy pre season I did some treadmill running to keep fit.

It did feel like I was just rolling the legs over rather than running. It didn't feel anywhere near as hard as running. The belt almost pulls your legs back for you.

I fucken hated it. Seemed like a waste of time to me.

I see all these kunce on the treadmills at the gym lined up like ants and I think, ffs it's a nice day outside fucking go out there and run. Treadmill running is boring as fuck. It's always interesting having a snoop around your neighbourhood.

I see all these kunce on the treadmills at the gym lined up like ants and I think, ffs it's a nice day outside fucking go out there and run. Treadmill running is boring as fuck. It's always interesting having a snoop around your neighbourhood.

Yeah that's what I tell everyone. Also, by the end of your run/walk/ride you've actually gotten to a destination.

It's almost like down hill running minus the shear forces on the knee and the impact of the feet hitting the ground.

but it's like all things, the treadmill is a good cardio workout, a nice way for someone out of condition to get conditioning.
Like I've stated many times you got to be fit to get fit.

you could use the treadmill as an adjunct I suppose, you just need to keep an eye on recovery especially if you've added a barbell workout into the mix.

for the purpose of the op just use the road and run, and improve your time, if you can't, take a day or two off, and recover everyone is different

When's the last time you ran on a treadmill? It doesn't do any work for you.

Not sure last time as I get outside to run, but used to do 10-15km a day a few years ago as it was too hot to run outside, and yes it most certainly does most of the work for you, it has a massive 5 hp motor, you are not propelling yourself through space, you are simply lifting your legs up as the motor moves the road under you rather than you using your legs to move yourself forward, hence running on a treadmill is pretty much effortless 15km on a treadmill is easy as while I could not do it out on the road where my limit usually is 5-7km.

The op is living proof of this, was doing massive distances on the tread mill, then did not even manage 2.4km in a real run, which I even at my age can do in my sleep.

Funny thing I used to see in Sydney is people fighting for the closest parking spot just outside the gym door only to go inside and walk on the tread mill, their logic always had me fucked,

Had a friend of the family who wanted to join the COPS years ago, he failed the swimming qualifications, as a result he joined a gym and started lifting weights, he never lifted before, so asked me for advice, I asked him why he all of a sudden started lifting and he explained that he failed his swimming and wanted to start training as there were more qualification swims coming up in a few months, I explained to him to start going to the pool and swim and that he was wasting his time going to the gym, he did not believe me suggesting he needed to be stronger to pass the swim, when I explained that he needed endurance not strength he lost interest in talking to me, three month later he again failed his swim:p

Last edited:
Thank you sincerely for all your advice. It's very consistent. I think my main take outs are that you have to train specific for an event, treadmill training was useful for a time as conditioning tool but I over relied on and it didn't transfer to what I had to do. Train for the actual distance decreasing time each time..some HIT will be useful as well.

Not sure last time as I get outside to run, but used to do 10-15km a day a few years ago as it was too hot to run outside, and yes it most certainly does most of the work for you, it has a massive 5 hp motor, you are not propelling yourself through space, you are simply lifting your legs up as the motor moves the road under you rather than you using your legs to move yourself forward, hence running on a treadmill is pretty much effortless 15km on a treadmill is easy as while I could not do it out on the road where my limit usually is 5-7km.

It must be me then. What I could do on a treadmill had nearly 100% carry over to road running. The longest I could do on a treadmill was an hour, and I managed to do an 1:10 on a road run first time. Like it's been said, a lot of it is mental and general cardio fitness.

Even though the treadmill is pushing your legs back for you, you still need to counteract the movement and throw yourself forward. Maybe it's my shitty running technique, but it didn't feel much different when actually running.

Its not just you [MENTION=15941]steveP[/MENTION] lots of people get good carry over from the treadmill to the road. There are even running groups in Melbourne who do 1-2 sessions of their weekly volume on treadmills. I found for me that the treadmill worked well for increasing my running cadence as you have to turn the legs over quick to keep up with the belt. This translated into better running economy and faster times on the road. However for what the OP wants to achieve a simple run 3-4 days a week over the distance required and go harder each time will achieve the desired results.