• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Hey Vanessa,

I use to do the 2.4km for army BFA training. The warm up is important to practice as they will most likely warm you up when its time to run the test. If it's anything like the army though it will be just running around in a 20 meter circle for a minute or two and some stretching, then the run. I use to practice that before my run.

For the actual run i usually practised just around my home. Sounds like you have a 2.4 km course mapped out already? Does it go over hills or any slopes?

As said, forget the treadmill, it's detracting you from your goal. In fact just about anything will detract you from it besides lots of 2.4km running. So do that as much as you can.

Are you jogging/running the whole distance or stopping to walk any part of it?

Could have just run up a hill in training.

If you read my earlier post you would see that I said there are no hills close to where I live. I did do other long runs in the hills at the weekend but supplemented it with the treadmill to give me more km's at an incline in training. The point is, that in some cases the treadmill is a useful tool so shouldn't be immediately discounted. However as I already stated I agree with the others on here that the best way to train for this run is to get outdoors and just run the distance you are training for, hard a few times a week.

Treadmill training is fine. I've used it when training for a 12km run a few times. Before starting the training I could barely run 10 minutes, after practising on the treadmill for 4-5 weeks, twice a week, I could do an hour.

Did it carry over to road/outdoor running? Yes. It's not exactly the same, but I'd say it's 90% the same. If anything, outdoor running takes your mind off it, so the time goes faster. The only real difference I noticed is the unevenness of the road surfaces where the treadmill is perfectly smooth.

There is not a 10% difference, come on!

treadmill, raises the heart rate which is good, there is less impact on soft tissue and bones, the mechanics are totally different and wrong if one intends to run for distance, do you want me to state the difference?

It is movement which is better than nothing but in time the ham's, buttocks and low back will fuck up.

The pull of the belt on the treadmill is bad juju.

You are doing it wrong [MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION] take the bike off the treadmill !!

download (2).jpg

yes lesson learned the hard way - epic fail. I'll just get out there again and start again

It is movement which is better than nothing but in time the ham's, buttocks and low back will fuck up.

The pull of the belt on the treadmill is bad juju.

It's cardio, I'm not even saying treadmill is bad but I learnt pretty early with footy training that fitness has to be specific. If you have no specific goal then do what ever cardio you like.

We did some years of lots of cross training. Did fuck all to help us at footy.

Some years the fad was to cut out all long distance running over 200m and do all interval stuff. Blokes couldn't run out a game.

Hey Vanessa,

I use to do the 2.4km for army BFA training. The warm up is important to practice as they will most likely warm you up when its time to run the test. If it's anything like the army though it will be just running around in a 20 meter circle for a minute or two and some stretching, then the run. I use to practice that before my run.

For the actual run i usually practised just around my home. Sounds like you have a 2.4 km course mapped out already? Does it go over hills or any slopes?

As said, forget the treadmill, it's detracting you from your goal. In fact just about anything will detract you from it besides lots of 2.4km running. So do that as much as you can.

Are you jogging/running the whole distance or stopping to walk any part of it?

Hey there I am jogging the whole distance. I can run pretty much to 10km but at a slower pace. I have a long flat road at the bottom of my house - it stretches for miles and has markers

Yeah careful on those treadmills guys

loltags_53b19c41e67dd.gif

Hey there I am jogging the whole distance. I can run pretty much to 10km but at a slower pace. I have a long flat road at the bottom of my house - it stretches for miles and has markers

If it helps i use to pace out sections of the run where i use to run faster, if it was 50 - 100 meters between two trees or driveways or whatever, then drop it back to a jog.

Could say it was a bit of HIIT. It helped a lot.

I still stand by that the treadmill will prepare you for the outdoor running about 90%. A lot of the training is mental and feeling comfortable being uncomfortable. In theory the technique should be totally different when running on the ground, but I barely noticed a difference.

For the experts on running, do you run?

I use to do a lot of mid distance running as well as swimming (use to be a life saver).

Some guys trained with flippers in the pool, they always did better without them because they had to learn to swim faster.

A lot like a treadmill i spose, yes its better than nothing but it won't teach you to run the 2.4km test faster. I found the mental challenge to do the run way tougher than the physical aspect of it, and to train that part i needed to actually run the distance.

But like i said, the treadmill is better than nothing

It's cardio, I'm not even saying treadmill is bad but I learnt pretty early with footy training that fitness has to be specific. If you have no specific goal then do what ever cardio you like.

We did some years of lots of cross training. Did fuck all to help us at footy.

Some years the fad was to cut out all long distance running over 200m and do all interval stuff. Blokes couldn't run out a game.

I hear you

Bazza your absolutely right that fitness has to be specific. I have not had the right training balance for what I need to do. Feel like such a dumb ass and now with no ass because I am convinced its dissipated because of the treadmill!

I use to do a lot of mid distance running as well as swimming (use to be a life saver).

Some guys trained with flippers in the pool, they always did better without them because they had to learn to swim faster.

A lot like a treadmill i spose, yes its better than nothing but it won't teach you to run the 2.4km test faster. I found the mental challenge to do the run way tougher than the physical aspect of it, and to train that part i needed to actually run the distance.

But like i said, the treadmill is better than nothing

Thats a great analogy flippers and treadmill - and yes it hasn't helped but it has been better than nothing. Bring on the sunshine