• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

WoodyAllen

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/...ate-in-the-immune-system-20161114-gspavq.html

A very interesting read. Bodybuilders have for years touted the need to keep inflammation to a minimum. At least the natty ones have. Both of them.

For decades, we've been told that serotonin is the key culprit for mood disorders, but now a growing number of doctors are subscribing to a radical new theory of depression - that the problem, at least for some people, is in fact the result of inflammation in the body, caused by the body's immune system reacting to an infection or stress.

Didn't read the link because I don't like the paper but the immune system is a thing that can affect many allegedly unrelated parts of the human biology.

I've also heard inflammation can block the serotonin pathway so this would make sense.

I know a few weeks back I was getting over a cold, which can deplete serotonin. Emotionally felt like crap. I had some 5 HTP on hand. Bought it as a sleeping aid but was curious to know if it would help boost my mood. Luckily it did work. My body was still crook but at least my mood picked up.

I was interested too when I first saw the article, and then I realised that it was (effectively, anyway) an advertisement for a new book.

There are so many books on health or psychology (or both, as in this case), advocating all sorts of whacko things, that I tend to be automatically sceptical of whatever they say (even when the book might be written by a real doctor).

However, there might still be something in it - the whole immune system is pretty complicated, as is the brain ...

Inflammation and inflammatory bodies/substances have been linked to a host of health conditions. No doubt more evidence will come to light expanding on these mechanisms.

i don't like the age but i read that article.
i have long term chronic pain and inflammation, weak immune system with various other associated conditions and also a plenty much diagnosed depression and anxiety and my body feels like i'm in my late 90's and living my last days. have very low energy most of the time. everything feels extremely difficult to do or just takes a lot of energy out of me. the newest thing lately is my dry hair, skin rashes, flakey scalp and never ending ear wax crust.

i'm fun to be around:)

Have you ever tried a ketogenic diet. It might work well for some of those issues

i did for 2 or so months and my hunger was insane. crazy. through the roof.

i had to keep my protein lower about 150g per day and eventually i just binged on fat. upto 8,000 cals at points.
i had grease breath. i think i was following some shitty advice as i was told that if i'm hungry i should just keep eating more fat and not to increase my protein as it will convert to glucose via gluconeogenesis.

i think keto diet is not good for health and not any better than a balanced diet.
i have done vegan, i have done paleo.
the only way lf eating that i felt any some benefit was pescatarian for which i was dairy and grain free, all plant sources of carbs and i did eat egg whites. now i just eat everything variety instead of cutting foods out.

i eat about 170g protein, 300g carbs and 70-80 fats

80% clean 20% whatever i want. and i do IF, but not every day not strict fasting but usually im eating 3 meals between 4pm-12am and some days i'll eat 5 smaller meals or 2 protein shakes during the day and 3 larger meals in the evening.

Hey everyone,

I wanted to chime in on the topic of depression and its link to inflammation. It's a subject that has fascinated me for a while, and I believe it's a critical aspect of understanding mental health. Here's what I've gathered:

In recent years, there has been a growing body of research suggesting a strong connection between depression and inflammation. This link has opened up new possibilities in the treatment and management of depression, which is incredibly promising. So, let's break it down a bit.

Our immune system's response to infections or injuries typically includes inflammation. This is a natural and necessary process. However, chronic inflammation, where the body's inflammatory response remains active for extended periods, can have a negative impact on both physical and mental health.

The brain, it turns out, is not immune to this influence. When the body is in a state of chronic inflammation, the brain can become more susceptible to changes in structure and function. Inflammation can disrupt the balance of neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine, which play a crucial role in mood regulation. This disruption can lead to depressive symptoms.

One of the key players in the inflammation-depression connection is the cytokines. These are proteins that the immune system uses to communicate. When there's an imbalance of cytokines, they can trigger inflammation in the brain, which, in turn, affects our mood and cognition.

So, what can we do with this knowledge? Well, it opens the door to potentially new and more effective treatments for depression. Some studies have explored the use of anti-inflammatory medications as adjuncts to traditional antidepressants, and the results have been promising for some individuals.

But it's not just about medication; lifestyle factors also come into play. Adopting an anti-inflammatory diet, regular exercise, and stress management techniques can help reduce inflammation in the body, which may have a positive impact on depression.

While we're still learning more about the intricacies of this relationship, I believe it's crucial to spread awareness about the link between depression and inflammation. It underscores the importance of taking a holistic approach to mental health, addressing both physical and emotional well-being.

If you or someone you know is struggling with depression, it's essential to consult with a healthcare professional. They can help determine the most appropriate treatment plan, which may include a consideration of inflammation as a contributing factor.

Let's keep the conversation going and support one another in our journeys toward better mental health. Together, we can explore new possibilities and approaches to understanding and managing depression.

Last edited by a moderator: