• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
At what moment did you find that out that just because someone is big, doesn't mean they know what they are talking about?

At what moment did you find that out that just because someone is big, doesn't mean they know what they are talking about?
Back in mid 1984 when I switched from Olympic weightlifting to bodybuilding. Seeing a big man at the squat rack performing military press, something I knew a thing or two about, I decided to approach and say my two cents. He was doing what I call a push press, using the assistance of his glutes and quads, when he should have been focusing on targeting his shoulder muscles, something that was incredibly difficult (I later found out), when you bring your ego to train with you.

So here's little me at 75kg approaching a man I could easily out squat, telling him that what he was doing was wrong if he's aim was to build the shoulders. He turned around and said: "listen son, when you get as big as me, then you can tell me OK!" I did say he was big, but more of a powerlifter than a bodybuilder type of big.

His ego got the better of him a few years later, when he was killed in prison, as his buddy inmates "failed" to spot him properly when performing some heavy ass bench pressing. Apparently his neck was not as strong as his ego was, and he was killed instantly.

Last edited:
It was back in the 80's........

262fbaf29a6a6b11d864e07254e54b83

Walk up to the biggest dude in the gym ask him what he does and do the complete opposite more often than not this would work.

People that lift heavy and are consistent in training will get big, most people don't train long enough or hard enough to get seriously big.

I know plenty of people who train for a few month/weeks etc and then give up as they are not huge, usually they spend a crap load on supplements and powders to assist in their failed endeavour.

Some people get big despite their training and diet, while other overthink stuff, doing 564 variations of arm curls instead of loading the bar up and doing a few good sets of one of two good exercises, this is something I have only learned later in life.

So you'd be huge then Mick, because you've learnt the error of your ways?

??? I am confused?? Where did I say I learned the error of my ways?? What were my ways?? What was the error that you perceive I made, or where did I mention said error??

Not sure how you got this out of my post?

People that lift heavy and are consistent in training will get big, most people don't train long enough or hard enough to get seriously big.

I know plenty of people who train for a few month/weeks etc and then give up as they are not huge, usually they spend a crap load on supplements and powders to assist in their failed endeavour.

Some people get big despite their training and diet, while other overthink stuff, doing 564 variations of arm curls instead of loading the bar up and doing a few good sets of one of two good exercises, this is something I have only learned later in life.
Well put Big Man, I appreciate your post a lot. Thank you Mick.

??? I am confused?? Where did I say I learned the error of my ways?? What were my ways?? What was the error that you perceive I made, or where did I mention said error??

Not sure how you got this out of my post?

I expect it had something to do with you saying "instead of loading the bar up and doing a few good sets of one of two good exercises, this is something I have only learned later in life."

It inferred that you learnt something later on, hence were not doing it correctly before you learnt. So your ways were doing too many curls or other exercises, you learned to do it differently. Then once you had learnt how to do it correctly it must have worked and now you have massive guns !!!

I expect it had something to do with you saying "instead of loading the bar up and doing a few good sets of one of two good exercises, this is something I have only learned later in life."

It inferred that you learnt something later on, hence were not doing it correctly before you learnt. So your ways were doing too many curls or other exercises, you learned to do it differently. Then once you had learnt how to do it correctly it must have worked and now you have massive guns !!!
Correct. I just couldn't be bothered responding. Thought it was obvious.

I thought that is what he was trying to say, that's a lot of assumptions made from very limited information of me talking about other people and their training.

Lets break it down:

Generalising about observations I have made in 30 years of training and coaching.

Again talking about general observations that I have made.

Some people get big despite their training and diet, while other overthink stuff, doing 564 variations of arm curls instead of loading the bar up and doing a few good sets of one of two good exercises
'

Again taking about observations I have made over the years/decades of training and coaching, consider that my full time job was coaching and training people for nearly 15 years.

this is something I have only learned later in life.

Saying here that I only learned later in life that you don't need a million exercises to get huge. My current routine is based on 5-6 main lifts, seems to be giving the same if not better results in a fraction of the time. IE time spend training is well reduced.

People can train however they like, not my problem, I no longer train people, but I may consider getting back into it, but it's a minefield these days...

This forum and it's members have a habit of throwing the baby out with the bath water and taking stuff out of context and filling the blanks in with their own imagination, rather than reading and understanding the words right in front of them without adding their own imaginary stuff in there.

Last edited:
@Big Mick not sure any babies were thrown anywhere. So let me get it straight you did say you learnt later in life that a few exercises worked and that it is the way you now train and get good results. Not sure how that differs from what I wrote. I think most everyone understood your initial post but thanks for supplying more of your wisdom (I mean that bit sincerely). It is always good to learn off others as it saves time making the same mistakes.

Last edited:
Every time I look in the mirror... [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk