• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
S

Stiffy

"Wikipedia is one of the most visited websites in the world. Commerce is fine. Advertising is not evil. But it doesn't belong here. Not in Wikipedia. Wikipedia is something special. It is like a library or a public park. It is like a temple for the mind. It is a place we can all go to think, to learn, to share our knowledge with others.

We are the small non-profit that runs one of the top websites in the world. We only have about 300 staff but serve millions of users, and have costs like any other top site: servers, power, programs, and people.

When I founded Wikipedia, I could have made it into a for-profit company with advertising banners, but I decided to do something different. We’ve worked hard over the years to keep it lean and tight. We fulfill our mission efficiently. If everyone reading this donated, our fundraiser would be done within an hour. But not everyone can or will donate. And that's fine. Each year just enough people decide to give. This year, please consider making a donation of $5, $20, $50 or whatever you can to protect and sustain Wikipedia.

Thanks,

Jimmy Wales
Wikipedia Founder "

https://donate.wikimedia.org/w/inde...&utm_source=fr-redir&utm_campaign=spontaneous

I've donated before, however it's always good not to lose sight of the fact that information is not synonymous with knowledge, as it's only a sum of its parts. Sometimes information for the sake of information does more harm than good. Information overload comes to mind.

Good stuff [MENTION=2727]Fadi[/MENTION];

One of the reasons I like Wikipedia is that it is used by Third World Countries who probably don't have a lot of top Academics to construct Curriculums for their Students.

You have 'reservations' concerning Wiki I take it.
Not totally discounting Wiki, as it's literally a world of information. Which brings me back to my earlier point of one making a distinction between information and knowledge. I'm not discounting it out of hand, I'm not so arrogant as to do as such, however not all that you read there concerning some finer points of a particular subject ought to be taken without further checking for correct information. That's all I'm saying really.

Some people would trust Wiki without a question, I am not one of those people. That does not somehow make me right or better, however it does highlight the way I think about information and its source.

Not totally discounting Wiki, as it's literally a world of information. Which brings me back to my earlier point of one making a distinction between information and knowledge. I'm not discounting it out of hand, I'm not so arrogant as to do as such, however not all that you read there concerning some finer points of a particular subject ought to be taken without further checking for correct information. That's all I'm saying really.

Some people would trust Wiki without a question, I am not one of those people. That does not somehow make me right or better, however it does highlight the way I think about information and its source.

Thanks for the explanation Fadi.

When I was at Uni Lecturers would advise against using Wiki, not really peer reviewed lol. Still, for general knowledge, its a start.

Wiki is not perfect, as is the case with all online, printed and taught (education organisations) information sources. So, it's no better or worse than any other "knowledge". At times you even have trolls who deliberately try to dispense false information by editing or adding in crap to further their cause. That eventually gets sorted out though, again, like all other information sources.

The way to get accurate information is to dig deeper. I remember Dr Carl on the ABC having something to say about not accepting what is written on face value, but to dig down to get a more complete picture.

Today is no different to the situation in the world of education 50 years ago. It's just easier to access this stuff now. For example, before I was born my parents purchased a set of encyclopaedias. There was so much stuff in there but it was tedious and time consuming to get at it. Now all you have to do is click on a link. Not everything in the encyclopaedias was "true" or accurate, as knowledge is a growing living thing.

The harshest critics of information sources like wiki are those that have an agenda. Keeping the masses ignorant of the truth or misinformed is a powerful tool used by many, including some dictatorial governments (e.g. North Korea, China, Burma, Trumpville, etc).

A world without Wiki would be a poorer place. But then, capitalists love poor people. Can't be a billionaire without a few million poor people.

Your Wisdom and sexual prowess never fail to amaze me. Noice post [MENTION=13432]WoodyAllen[/MENTION];

Last edited: