• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I also meant to say, of four guys in knew who won NABBA Mr Australia's, two trained very heavy, two went mostly for form. Lesson for this thread: all increased the weights used for each exercise regardless of form used (progressive overload).

I go in their to lift weights, working the muscles happens when you lift weights.

I agree with this but I dont think for a bodybuilder it is as simple as lift heavy weights and progressively overload. The volume of training, rep ranges, time under tension and all those other 'fancy terms' or however you like to categorise them also have an impact. If all that mattered was lifting weights and getting stronger then everyone would just do 4 exercises, heavy for a few sets and reps but that it not the case.

I think for the average guy on the street just trying to get stronger and build some muscle then basic compound exercises with relatively heavy weight and progressively increasing the weight and working hard is where it's at 100%.

I agree with this but I dont think for a bodybuilder it is as simple as lift heavy weights and progressively overload. The volume of training, rep ranges, time under tension and all those other 'fancy terms' or however you like to categorise them also have an impact. If all that mattered was lifting weights and getting stronger then everyone would just do 4 exercises, heavy for a few sets and reps but that it not the case.

You obviously haven't read anything I said. I have always said increasing things like volume and time under tension are still increasing strength. Just different ways of doing it. Even though I always mention that if I mention strength everyone always just thinks low rep strength training.

You obviously haven't read anything I said. I have always said increasing things like volume and time under tension are still increasing strength. Just different ways of doing it. Even though I always mention that if I mention strength everyone always just thinks low rep strength training.

I did not state or indeed mean to infer that you had not previously mentioned those aspects of training, just gave my opinion on what I thought worked. It would seem like most on here agree with what works they just have a different way of saying it. Anyway cant spend all day on here talking about the things I like, I need to go and think about doing some work. Take it easy.

If we want to get all scientific and thoughtful then at the end of the day, the barbell, dumbbell or machinery is just an extension of the body part you are wanting to grow.

but fadi does make a very valid point.
if you switch your thinking and visualize in your mind what muscle is creating the movement then it helps one to appreciate the exercise and what it can do.
i often tell people this, it does make a difference only if the trainee knows which muscle is doing the "mechanical" work.

it's not uncommon for neophytes to confuse the muscles being used in pushing and pulling movements.

Last edited:
I also believe "bodybuilders" and the "lifting hobbyists" would benefit working out the same way, the only difference being the whacky diet.
but I digress

If we want to get all scientific and thoughtful then at the end of the day, the barbell, dumbbell or machinery is just an extension of the body part you are wanting to grow.

but fadi does make a very valid point.
if you switch your thinking and visualize in your mind what muscle is creating the movement then it helps one to appreciate the exercise and what it can do.
i often tell people this, it does make a difference only if the trainee knows which muscle is doing the "mechanical" work.

it's not uncommon for neophytes to confuse the muscles being used in pushing and pulling much movements.
Andy, brother if you were in my vicinity right now, I would not let you go before shaking your hand, kissing your forehead, and giving you a brotherly hug!

Thank you so much for writing these words. If I had my way, I'd make that succinct post of yours an Ausbb sticky.

Thank you for your understanding Andy, and for understanding that this thread was about the psychology of bodybuilding above all else. Respect, always Sir!

Some people are just narrow minded and believe adding extra weight on the bar is the only method of overloading.
Tools. ;)

Andy, brother if you were in my vicinity right now, I would not let you go before shaking your hand, kissing your forehead, and giving you a brotherly hug!

Thank you so much for writing these words. If I had my way, I'd make that succinct post of yours an Ausbb sticky.

Thank you for your understanding Andy, and for understanding that this thread was about the psychology of bodybuilding above all else. Respect, always Sir!

You're very valuable to this forum

Some people are just narrow minded and believe adding extra weight on the bar is the only method of overloading.
Tools. ;)

Well, that's what this tool believes, I mean it's extra rep's and sets, volume and all that shit *too a point*.

KGs on the bar is the keystone, the only real true measure.