• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bazza20

What do people do. I've always thought they were overrated. Animals seem to do fine without them. We never evolved to have to warm up and or stretch for 30 min before the lion or bear was allowed to chase us.

At footy I always either avoid or half ass the warm up. Coach calls me over and tells me off. Did the full warmup and bang tore my quad 10 min into training.

I wonder if it's just a waste of energy most of the time, stretching especially.

Noice hit up Barry.

Jog, side to side steps, one or two sprints, bit of Boxing technique drilling perhaps, all in a Car Park. This is usually at 4AM-ish. Maybe some dynamic stretches occasionally. Light set then straight into it.

Yeah, stretching before or inbetween sets can be shite.

EDIT: C'mom @Timeah; @Repacked; @Rugby88; take a hit up. Lets truck it out! [MENTION=10068]bull[/MENTION]; [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION]; get ready to kick on the fifth!

Last edited:
I guess it depends on the individual. If you work in front of a computer all day, warm up/dynamic stretching will certainly help. If you're on your feet all day, running up stairs, etc, then you probably don't need to.

Personally I do a 3 minute core workout before each weight training session. Laying on my back, stretching out the chest/shoulders with some cross body crunches. Then to stretch out the lower body I do some mountain climbers (good for tight hamstrings from sitting all day) followed by holding a plank.

For the first resistance exercise I do, I will do a short, slow tempo 6-rep set of 70% of my working weight.

All of the above takes less than 5 minutes and never had an injury and I train everyday.

Good stuff [MENTION=15941]steveP[/MENTION]; we like our Wingers to chime in early. Bit of pace can make yards and catch the defence napping!

I do hardly anything to warm-up before lifting. Usually something like this:

1. foam roll stretching back for a couple of minutes.
2. a few sets of band pull-aparts + shoulder dislocations.
3. some paused body weight squats and a few lunges.
4. start lifting.

Noice hit up Barry.

Jog, side to side steps, one or two sprints, bit of Boxing technique drilling perhaps, all in a Car Park. This is usually at 4AM-ish. Maybe some dynamic stretches occasionally. Light set then straight into it.

Yeah, stretching before or inbetween sets can be shite.

EDIT: C'mom @Timeah; @Repacked; @Rugby88; take a hit up. Lets truck it out! [MENTION=10068]bull[/MENTION]; [MENTION=895]Shrek[/MENTION]; get ready to kick on the fifth!

I remember listening to a Bass Rutten interview. He said he thought warm ups just wasted energy. He would play video games before the fight until his name was called. Lol.

I remember listening to a Bass Rutten interview. He said he thought warm ups just wasted energy. He would play video games before the fight until his name was called. Lol.

At 4AM Baz, you gotta do some type of warm up. Even so, I do think that a few Sprints can be good at any time, to get the Anaerobic system going.

At 4AM Baz, you gotta do some type of warm up. Even so, I do think that a few Sprints can be good at any time, to get the Anaerobic system going.

Really I'm just trying to cut the fluff from workouts these days. Minimal spare time.

Core workout. WTF. What's next jazzercise.

Of late I've just been throwing the working weight on the bar and been hitting rep PBs for most exercises. Saves a heap of time rather than fuck around for ages changing plates and doing pissy weights for warm up.

3 minute core workout, someone shoot me.

Sorry, didn't you ask what others are doing and what works?

Why even start a thread if you aren't even going to listen to what others have to say. Then again, my fault as I should have known who I'm communicating with.

2 or 3 lighter sets before working sets. Don't really stretch except the calves and hammies because they are prone to cramping up.

Really I'm just trying to cut the fluff from workouts these days. Minimal spare time.

Core workout. WTF. What's next jazzercise.

Of late I've just been throwing the working weight on the bar and been hitting rep PBs for most exercises. Saves a heap of time rather than fuck around for ages changing plates and doing pissy weights for warm up.

You're bit different though Baz. You're wrestling Cows and riding Bulls all day. You've prolly got limited energy and your Body isn't in as lazy a state as a lot of people who are at a Desk or the like all day. You prolly don't need as great a warm up as others.

If the muscle is cold then a warm up makes sense, but a muscle being cold means your dead.

if the term "warm up" means practice, then it's a good thing.

but for exercise?
that depends on your definition of it (exercise)

Sorry, didn't you ask what others are doing and what works?

Why even start a thread if you aren't even going to listen to what others have to say. Then again, my fault as I should have known who I'm communicating with.

Shutup you idiot, it's a discussion.

You're bit different though Baz. You're wrestling Cows and riding Bulls all day. You've prolly got limited energy and your Body isn't in as lazy a state as a lot of people who are at a Desk or the like all day. You prolly don't need as great a warm up as others.

My take is that for someone who's is active needs to incorporate exercise to maintain that activity over a protracted time.

someone who is sedentary needs to get their arse into gear.

Last edited:
A lot of people seem to confuse stretching and warm up. Two completely different things, stretching is not a warm up neither is foam rolling etc

I have been training since I was 15 and now in my late 40's I have never bothered warming up and never been an issue.

Do one light(er) set to get the groove then load the bar up and go. Never done anything else. By Light set I don't mean 20kg, my bench warm up generally consist of a set at around 80kg, squats I will do a set without weights (20 reps), then may be 50kg and then go to working weight.

Sprints would not be a good warm up, you should probably warm up before sprints with a light jog and build the intensity, or it would be easy to tear something.

A lot of people seem to confuse stretching and warm up. Two completely different things, stretching is not a warm up neither is foam rolling etc

I have been training since I was 15 and now in my late 40's I have never bothered warming up and never been an issue.

Do one light(er) set to get the groove then load the bar up and go. Never done anything else. By Light set I don't mean 20kg, my bench warm up generally consist of a set at around 80kg, squats I will do a set without weights (20 reps), then may be 50kg and then go to working weight.

Sprints would not be a good warm up, you should probably warm up before sprints with a light jog and build the intensity, or it would be easy to tear something.

Wtf did I say kunce? "Jog, side to sides a few sprints then a few light sets and into it. At 4AM in the morning you can't go from 0-100 in 5 minutes. Anyway, sprints will help get you firing. Try em!

I admire your spirit kunce, but swinging at the Captain ain't goin get you back in the starting line up.

I like the way Sheiko programs are written.
1-2 sets of the bar to groove it out.

50%, 60%, 70%x2, 80% = working weight.

First 3 sets are done with virtually no break, so within 5 minutes usually i'm at working weight.