• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Wtf did I say kunce? "Jog, side to sides a few sprints then a few light sets and into it. At 4AM in the morning you can't go from 0-100 in 5 minutes. Anyway, sprints will help get you firing. Try em!

I admire your spirit kunce, but swinging at the Captain ain't goin get you back in the starting line up.

Sprints to warm up for weight lifting?? Makes sense to no one...

If you are doing them because you want to get better at sprinting then all good.

The only time I do sprints is when I do sprint training (HIIT), then the sprints are the activity, not to warm up for a completely unrelated activity.

But each to their own, if you like doing sprints before lifting sprint your heart out.

PS there is no way in this world I would be training at 4am, you must be in bed by 7 or 8pm the latest to be up and training at 4, them's crazy hours.

Sprints to warm up for weight lifting?? Makes sense to no one...

If you are doing them because you want to get better at sprinting then all good.

The only time I do sprints is when I do sprint training (HIIT), then the sprints are the activity, not to warm up for a completely unrelated activity.

But each to their own, if you like doing sprints before lifting sprint your heart out.

PS there is no way in this world I would be training at 4am, you must be in bed by 7 or 8pm the latest to be up and training at 4, them's crazy hours.

Barry would call you soft!

Think you'll find a lot of Athletes use short sprints for warming up.

One lighter set then straight into it.

Don't see the point in wasting energy on multiple meaningless sets before doing something useful.

4am. So a sleep in. Haha.

Come on Mick, harden up.

Fuck that, I am not a morning person, anything before 8am is just stupid IMO, don't even talk to me before 9am.

I used to start work at 6am years ago and hated it, now I usually do arvo shifts, 12 noon to 10pm or 3pm til 1am being the most common. I love it. Sometimes I have to start at 7am due to weather or work requirements, did a week of it last week and hated every minute of it.

Last edited:
Wisdom and common sense quickly appears on the surface, until you dig in a little bit deeper. I have two points to make re the subject of warm up prior to getting into one's workout.

1. Unless you come from Mars, you need to do some sort of warm up. And no, whoever made that statement re animals seem to do just fine without them has been seriously taken out of context, for left as is, that statement is evidently wrong. I'll expand on point number one in a minute.

2. There seems to be a group of coaches as well as trainees who are hell bent on going over board when it comes to warming up prior to diving into their workout. It's like some sort of extremism in self-imposed annihilation prior to getting on with the job at hand. Granted everyone feels a bit different as far as getting his muscles loosened up, with the connective tissues feeling lubricated, leading the lifter to feel "right in the groove" so to speak. Some take it too far and need to be told to get on with it, lest too much energy is expanded trying to feel 100% in the zone, where 80 or 90% would've been just fine. Each to his own here, but not this other stupid and wrong philosophy that takes a very wrong look at the animals and tries to project that upon the human species.

So, do animals seem to do just fine without a warm up? After all, we've all seen the zebra do a Usain Bolt of a bolt once chased by a lioness right? No that's not right at all, in fact it's very wrong, and here's why.

A zebra has been walking, running, kicking (and God knows what else) before we see it do a sprint off for its life. No need to take my word for this (since non of you have a zebra at home I'm sure), but some of you may have a pussycat as a pet. What is the first thing a pussycat does once it's awakened? Right, it fully stretches (particularly its spine and thigh muscles), two primary body parts it relies on for running and jumping. A cat (or a zebra for that matter) would be crushed instantly if you suddenly attack it if it was either asleep or dozing off. In fact, even a cheater would succumb to a lion who is "jogging" after her if and when he had caught her off guard napping.

So putting the above into context (with a comparison made to the animals)..., if you, upon waking up, hopping into your car and driving to the gym for a workout..., you instead walk to the gym. Now please tell me if you still need a warm up once you've gotten there after those few kilometers of steady walking? I believe the right answer would be found within the question itself.

Last edited:
Wisdom and common sense quickly appears on the surface, until you dig in a little bit deeper. I have two points to make re the subject of warm up prior to getting into one's workout.

1. Unless you come from Mars, you need to do some sort of warm up. And no, whoever made that statement re animals seem to do just fine without them has been seriously taken out of context, for left as is, that statement is evidently wrong. I'll expand on point number one in a minute.

2. There seems to be a group of coaches as well as trainees who are hell bent on going over board when it comes to warming up prior to diving into their workout. It's like some sort of extremism in self-imposed annihilation prior to getting on with the job at hand. Granted everyone feels a bit different as far as getting his muscles loosened up, with the connective tissues feeling lubricated, leading the lifter to feel "right in the groove" so to speak. Some take it too far and need to be told to get on with it, lest too much energy is expanded trying to feel 100% in the zone, where 80 or 90% would've been just fine. Each to his own here, but not this other stupid and wrong philosophy that takes a very wrong look at the animals and tries to project that upon the human species.

So, do animals seem to do just fine without a warm up? After all, we've all seen the zebra do a Usain Bolt of a bolt once chased by a lioness right? No that's not right at all, in fact it's very wrong, and here's why.

A zebra has been walking, running, kicking (and God knows what else) before we see it do a sprint off for its life. No need to take my word for this (since non of you have a zebra at home I'm sure), but some of you may have a pussycat as a pet. What is the first thing a pussycat does once it's awakened? Right, it fully stretches (particularly its spine and thigh muscles), two primary body parts it relies on for running and jumping. A cat (or a zebra for that matter) would be crushed instantly if you suddenly attack it if it was either asleep or dozing off. In fact, even a cheater would succumb to a lion who is "jogging" after her if and when he had caught her off guard napping.

So putting the above into context (with a comparison made to the animals)..., if you, upon waking up, hopping into your car and driving to the gym for a workout..., you instead walk to the gym. Now please tell me if you still need a warm up once you've gotten there after those few kilometers of steady walking? I believe the right answer would be found within the question itself.

Either way Fadi I think the key is to be strong and flexible around the specific joint (agonist/antagonist) and I don't believe that is achieved through a so called proper warm up or stretching.

its very difficult to diagnose the root cause of injury, was it caused by a so called lack of warm-up process or lack of stretching or was it the activities performed, or was it caused by a reckless act of exercise?

the analogy that Bazza presented about animals has merits, a fit strong person should be able to move quickly.

ill warm up but it's not warming muscles, their already warm, it is more about mental awareness, mind and body.

stretching?

the only stretching I enjoy is the waking up type of stretching.

Last edited:
I've noticed that after sitting for long periods of time a stretch feels real good, relaxing.

over the years I've done both, I've been sedentary and I've been really active.

i think that the body (the system) becomes really stressed if it becomes sedentary for too long, the act of a stretch relaxes the body, makes it feel good, moves toxins, that have pooled.

the times that I have been extremely active, the need for stretching is non exsistant.

its very difficult to diagnose the root cause of injury, was it caused by a so called lack of warm-up process or lack of stretching or was it the activities performed, or was it caused by a reckless act of exercise?
Funny how as soon as I read your words above Andy, I thought...couch, TV, fridge, table, my child...I'm sure you know what I mean by that yes? We often injure ourselves when we least expect it, and more than likely because we attempt to be generous in lending a hand when we've been doing nothing but sitting down. Of course injuries occur at the gym as well, but fro me personally, it was 9/10 outside of the lifting hall.

the analogy that Bazza presented about animals has merits, a fit strong person should be able to move quickly.
Not having a go at Barry as I've heard this comment made before by someone else, and as I did disagree with it back then, I still do now...for the same reasons.

Funny how as soon as I read your words above Andy, I thought...couch, TV, fridge, table, my child...I'm sure you know what I mean by that yes? We often injure ourselves when we least expect it, and more than likely because we attempt to be generous in lending a hand when we've been doing nothing but sitting down. Of course injuries occur at the gym as well, but fro me personally, it was 9/10 outside of the lifting hall.

Not having a go at Barry as I've heard this comment made before by someone else, and as I did disagree with it back then, I still do now...for the same reasons.

my point was Fadi that we are unable to pin point the cause of an injury, my guess is a muscle (strength) imbalance around a specific joint.

there are so many factors, but I don't believe stretching or warmups as we see in the magazines are helpful at all.

my point was Fadi that we are unable to pin point the cause of an injury, my guess is a muscle (strength) imbalance around a specific joint.

there are so many factors, but I don't believe stretching or warmups as we see in the magazines are helpful at all.

Agree, thanks Andy.

Thanks for the to the point answer.

The animals line was more a throw away comment so don't overthink it but startled animals will go from lying down to 100% sprint instantly. I've seen them do it plenty.

Me personally. I think all my muscle tear injuries have come after a nice long warm up. I may have a look later and see if their has been any research done. I know their was some research showing passive stretching doesn't reduce injuries and can lower performance.

It defies believe that some of you kunce who train of an afternoon or evening aren't physically hardened enough to do a few short controlled sprints (after a little jogging and other things) as part of a warm up before training.

What are you going to say if you have to protect yourself, your Wife or Kids "excuse me Mr Criminal I can't protect myself or my Family as I might pull or tear Muscle"? Part of the reason we train (or should be training) is so we are more conditioned for the vicissitudes of life. And if training in such a manner (to harden you up) means you don't look so buff in a pair Board shorts, well then the "buff boyz" aren't Men.

As Men we should be tough enough to protect ourselves, our loved ones and or Society.

Stretches are what you do after you have warmed up, and/or after your workout. Stretching a "cold" muscle is a recipe for a tear.
x3
No idea what a sprinter would do (though I guess they don't turn up at the track and put in a 10 sec 100m straight off the bat) but from a powerlifters perspective, and mine in particular, I always do warm up sets. Often warm down sets as well.

For example, for squats this week: Bodywieght x20, 20x10, 40x10, 60x10, 100x10, 140x4, 165x1, 182.5 x3x3, 140x3x5. No accessories as I was running late.

Around the first 140kg set I do all my foam rolling and stretching. Takes about 10 min.

For me personally, all that warm up reps and time is important. Without that, from bitter experience, I can guarantee an injury within a few workouts.

One often missed point about warm ups is that they also prime you mentally, tune you into the gym atmosphere in general and your workout set in particular.

Some can get away with no, or minimal, warmup. That will change with time.

It defies believe that some of you kunce who train of an afternoon or evening aren't physically hardened enough to do a few short controlled sprints (after a little jogging and other things) as part of a warm up before training.

What are you going to say if you have to protect yourself, your Wife or Kids "excuse me Mr Criminal I can't protect myself or my Family as I might pull or tear Muscle"? Part of the reason we train (or should be training) is so we are more conditioned for the vicissitudes of life. And if training in such a manner (to harden you up) means you don't look so buff in a pair Board shorts, well then the "buff boyz" aren't Men.

As Men we should be tough enough to protect ourselves, our loved ones and or Society.

Yep.

vicissitudes

wordsmith.jpg

Amen brother

Running away from a criminal may be a necessity and risking pulling a muscle is a risk worth taking, sprinting not warmed up is moronic.

Throw a ball as hard as you can with warming up shoulder / arm . Go on.