Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 72

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Warm Ups

  1. #21
    Lazy Ass Kunce

    Array
    StrongerThanEver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NSW
    Gender:
    Posts
    417
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've been warming up to a single 5kg heavier than working weight sets. Makes them feel lighter.





  2. __________________

    Ausbb Sponsors
    littleblokefitness new and used home gym and fitness equipment at great prices
    Iron Tanks Apparel Gym & Fitness Apparel
    BioFlex Nutrition Bioflex Nutrition, Australia's Purest Supplements
    Bulk Nutrients 100% Pure bulk Nutrients
    Flex Fitness Equipment fitness Equipment Specialists | warehouse direct
    Iherb code : code ZSG863 iHerb.com - Vitamins, Supplements Natural Health Products

  • #22
    "2014 - Kunce of the year"

    Array
    Big Mick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Gender:
    Posts
    5,698
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir El Stiffy View Post
    Wtf did I say kunce? "Jog, side to sides a few sprints then a few light sets and into it. At 4AM in the morning you can't go from 0-100 in 5 minutes. Anyway, sprints will help get you firing. Try em!

    I admire your spirit kunce, but swinging at the Captain ain't goin get you back in the starting line up.
    Sprints to warm up for weight lifting?? Makes sense to no one...

    If you are doing them because you want to get better at sprinting then all good.

    The only time I do sprints is when I do sprint training (HIIT), then the sprints are the activity, not to warm up for a completely unrelated activity.

    But each to their own, if you like doing sprints before lifting sprint your heart out.

    PS there is no way in this world I would be training at 4am, you must be in bed by 7 or 8pm the latest to be up and training at 4, them's crazy hours.
    Hidden Content

    Life doesn't give you want you want, it gives you what you have earned.


  • #23
    Stiffy
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mick View Post
    Sprints to warm up for weight lifting?? Makes sense to no one...

    If you are doing them because you want to get better at sprinting then all good.

    The only time I do sprints is when I do sprint training (HIIT), then the sprints are the activity, not to warm up for a completely unrelated activity.

    But each to their own, if you like doing sprints before lifting sprint your heart out.

    PS there is no way in this world I would be training at 4am, you must be in bed by 7 or 8pm the latest to be up and training at 4, them's crazy hours.
    Barry would call you soft!

    Think you'll find a lot of Athletes use short sprints for warming up.


  • #24
    Punxsutawney resident

    Array
    Repacked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    10,819
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sprints for a warm-up are a great way to injure yourself.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by Darkoz Hidden Content
    'Life was much simpler when there was just a dick and a snatch'.

    Click it, you know you want to..
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    http://au.evitamins.com/?ref=1444475


  • #25
    Elite Member

    Array

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    981
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    One lighter set then straight into it.

    Don't see the point in wasting energy on multiple meaningless sets before doing something useful.


  • #26
    Active Member

    Array

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    14,230
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Warm Ups

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir El Stiffy View Post
    Barry would call you soft!

    Think you'll find a lot of Athletes use short sprints for warming up.
    4am. So a sleep in. Haha.

    Come on Mick, harden up.


  • #27
    "2014 - Kunce of the year"

    Array
    Big Mick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mid North Coast NSW
    Gender:
    Posts
    5,698
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bazza20 View Post
    4am. So a sleep in. Haha.

    Come on Mick, harden up.
    Fuck that, I am not a morning person, anything before 8am is just stupid IMO, don't even talk to me before 9am.

    I used to start work at 6am years ago and hated it, now I usually do arvo shifts, 12 noon to 10pm or 3pm til 1am being the most common. I love it. Sometimes I have to start at 7am due to weather or work requirements, did a week of it last week and hated every minute of it.
    Last edited by Big Mick; 09-09-2016 at 08:51 PM.
    Hidden Content

    Life doesn't give you want you want, it gives you what you have earned.


  • #28
    ...

    Array

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender:
    Posts
    6,914
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Wisdom and common sense quickly appears on the surface, until you dig in a little bit deeper. I have two points to make re the subject of warm up prior to getting into one's workout.

    1. Unless you come from Mars, you need to do some sort of warm up. And no, whoever made that statement re animals seem to do just fine without them has been seriously taken out of context, for left as is, that statement is evidently wrong. I'll expand on point number one in a minute.

    2. There seems to be a group of coaches as well as trainees who are hell bent on going over board when it comes to warming up prior to diving into their workout. It's like some sort of extremism in self-imposed annihilation prior to getting on with the job at hand. Granted everyone feels a bit different as far as getting his muscles loosened up, with the connective tissues feeling lubricated, leading the lifter to feel "right in the groove" so to speak. Some take it too far and need to be told to get on with it, lest too much energy is expanded trying to feel 100% in the zone, where 80 or 90% would've been just fine. Each to his own here, but not this other stupid and wrong philosophy that takes a very wrong look at the animals and tries to project that upon the human species.

    So, do animals seem to do just fine without a warm up? After all, we've all seen the zebra do a Usain Bolt of a bolt once chased by a lioness right? No that's not right at all, in fact it's very wrong, and here's why.

    A zebra has been walking, running, kicking (and God knows what else) before we see it do a sprint off for its life. No need to take my word for this (since non of you have a zebra at home I'm sure), but some of you may have a pussycat as a pet. What is the first thing a pussycat does once it's awakened? Right, it fully stretches (particularly its spine and thigh muscles), two primary body parts it relies on for running and jumping. A cat (or a zebra for that matter) would be crushed instantly if you suddenly attack it if it was either asleep or dozing off. In fact, even a cheater would succumb to a lion who is "jogging" after her if and when he had caught her off guard napping.

    So putting the above into context (with a comparison made to the animals)..., if you, upon waking up, hopping into your car and driving to the gym for a workout..., you instead walk to the gym. Now please tell me if you still need a warm up once you've gotten there after those few kilometers of steady walking? I believe the right answer would be found within the question itself.
    Last edited by Fadi; 09-09-2016 at 09:38 PM.
    1984 Age 18, BW 73kg: FS195kg, BS200kg, 162.5 3x10, PC 140kg, C&J 160kg. 1987 Age 22, BW 77kg BS 130kg x20, 120kg x50.


  • #29
    .

    Array
    Goosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    20,759
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fadi View Post
    Wisdom and common sense quickly appears on the surface, until you dig in a little bit deeper. I have two points to make re the subject of warm up prior to getting into one's workout.

    1. Unless you come from Mars, you need to do some sort of warm up. And no, whoever made that statement re animals seem to do just fine without them has been seriously taken out of context, for left as is, that statement is evidently wrong. I'll expand on point number one in a minute.

    2. There seems to be a group of coaches as well as trainees who are hell bent on going over board when it comes to warming up prior to diving into their workout. It's like some sort of extremism in self-imposed annihilation prior to getting on with the job at hand. Granted everyone feels a bit different as far as getting his muscles loosened up, with the connective tissues feeling lubricated, leading the lifter to feel "right in the groove" so to speak. Some take it too far and need to be told to get on with it, lest too much energy is expanded trying to feel 100% in the zone, where 80 or 90% would've been just fine. Each to his own here, but not this other stupid and wrong philosophy that takes a very wrong look at the animals and tries to project that upon the human species.

    So, do animals seem to do just fine without a warm up? After all, we've all seen the zebra do a Usain Bolt of a bolt once chased by a lioness right? No that's not right at all, in fact it's very wrong, and here's why.

    A zebra has been walking, running, kicking (and God knows what else) before we see it do a sprint off for its life. No need to take my word for this (since non of you have a zebra at home I'm sure), but some of you may have a pussycat as a pet. What is the first thing a pussycat does once it's awakened? Right, it fully stretches (particularly its spine and thigh muscles), two primary body parts it relies on for running and jumping. A cat (or a zebra for that matter) would be crushed instantly if you suddenly attack it if it was either asleep or dozing off. In fact, even a cheater would succumb to a lion who is "jogging" after her if and when he had caught her off guard napping.

    So putting the above into context (with a comparison made to the animals)..., if you, upon waking up, hopping into your car and driving to the gym for a workout..., you instead walk to the gym. Now please tell me if you still need a warm up once you've gotten there after those few kilometers of steady walking? I believe the right answer would be found within the question itself.
    Either way Fadi I think the key is to be strong and flexible around the specific joint (agonist/antagonist) and I don't believe that is achieved through a so called proper warm up or stretching.

    its very difficult to diagnose the root cause of injury, was it caused by a so called lack of warm-up process or lack of stretching or was it the activities performed, or was it caused by a reckless act of exercise?

    the analogy that Bazza presented about animals has merits, a fit strong person should be able to move quickly.

    ill warm up but it's not warming muscles, their already warm, it is more about mental awareness, mind and body.

    stretching?

    the only stretching I enjoy is the waking up type of stretching.
    Last edited by Goosey; 09-09-2016 at 10:14 PM.


    Actions verify priorities


  • #30
    .

    Array
    Goosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    20,759
    Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've noticed that after sitting for long periods of time a stretch feels real good, relaxing.

    over the years I've done both, I've been sedentary and I've been really active.

    i think that the body (the system) becomes really stressed if it becomes sedentary for too long, the act of a stretch relaxes the body, makes it feel good, moves toxins, that have pooled.

    the times that I have been extremely active, the need for stretching is non exsistant.


    Actions verify priorities


  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •