• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
To those who got into general fitness a little later in life (after high school or uni), do you ever regret missing out opportunities to participate in school sports ?

From memory, everone joins in on school sports, even if not fit.

I think it was compulsory.. so didn't miss out :)
Although I wasn't "unfit" at school. I got unfit after school and uni, from 10 years at a desk job..

Only started to value fitness/strength/mobility now. Took it for granted when I was at school and thought it was nothing special.

I don't care about the sports, but having more physical ability and confidence would have carried over usefully to my social, love and work lives.

From memory, everone joins in on school sports, even if not fit.

I think it was compulsory.. so didn't miss out :)
Although I wasn't "unfit" at school. I got unfit after school and uni, from 10 years at a desk job..

Only started to value fitness/strength/mobility now. Took it for granted when I was at school and thought it was nothing special.

for me , it was compulsory , but most of the time i ditched school , in high pe (7-10) twice a year we did the fitness test , 1.5km run , situps pushups , sit and stretch , i avoided it like the plague , in pe we mainly played soccer

anything that i am forced into doing i hate it and will do my best to avoid it ,
i used to ride a bike for transport to work as it was 10mins up the road , once i discovered that i liked riding it turned into a passion and did i everything i could to get fit ,

To those who got into general fitness a little later in life (after high school or uni), do you ever regret missing out opportunities to participate in school sports ?

I think playing sport in school needs to be compulsory

Played heaps of sports but was never skilled enough that any extra fitness or strength would've translated into a much improved performance, so definitely don't feel like I missed out on anything from that respect.

However I was very insecure about my appearance as a teenager so if I started lifting when I was 15-16 it would be interesting to see what impact that might have had on my self esteem.

I miss my school days as I could not participate in any sport.

I played basketball for state in high school, and in university I did a few basketball comps. I did not join the uni squad as the squad was full of 40+ old blokes who did not really play basketball but had a click and was the only ones bothered enough to do serious training "tryouts" They added their own mates to the teams, most of them were heavy "fat" muscular and did not let anyone who wasn't in their click into the team. Shocking.

Couldn't be bothered to try to "fit" in with the group or complain about the (mal)practice of cliques only, I didn't bother either in high school to try and fit into the clicks or group mentality a.k.a "tribes" but was good enough to play in the team. Fairer I suppose in high school.

I did play one or two really good inter Uni games for the semi-recreational team, which was fun as in one game had the whole "stadium" really was bunch of uni/high school students standing around the court, although to be fair the place was pretty packed with kids from both uni's and the kids from our Uni was chanting my name!!

(that was the extent of my sports "fame" ) lololol

I started a new school in year 5 as this particular school went from year 5-12. I do regret not trying out for soccer but years later my old school friend said a lot of boys tried out for it and was very difficult and haven't lost sleep over it.

Other than that with what I know now I wish I had the knowledge and means to start even light weight training. I was paranoid about stunting my growth but avoiding the gym didn't help either.