• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

LateStarter

Seems my quads are shrinking, I thought they were OK but guess it was half fat..

I want to add something for quads, but don't want to hit glutes too much I already have a deadlift butt that my Mrs is jealous of..

So far I have two different leg days.

Leg day 1 is Squat + Romanian DL + Calves
Leg day 2 is Deadlift + Front Squat + Calves

Both days I do some leg curls for hamstring, and leg extensions to burn quads more.
But I don't feel much result from the leg extensions and it gives me sore knees.

I was thinking of one of these:
a) Single leg press
b) Barbell Lunge

Can they be done without hitting Glutes much? Are they good for quads?
Or maybe I just stick to leg extension?

Nothing. But the leg press will give better bang for you buck if you want to add size.

You can vary the foot placement a lot better with the leg press to really focus on the quads. Or do narrow stance squats...or hack squats.

I like leg extensions but you have to get the right machine that doesn't put stress on the knee. And don't lift the stack, lighten the weight and focus on the quads doing the work. Full ROM but you should be able to squeeze the quad the entire time, not just at the top

You can vary the foot placement a lot better with the leg press to really focus on the quads. Or do narrow stance squats...or hack squats.

I like leg extensions but you have to get the right machine that doesn't put stress on the knee. And don't lift the stack, lighten the weight and focus on the quads doing the work. Full ROM but you should be able to squeeze the quad the entire time, not just at the top

I agree with your thoughts on the leg extension.

once a week is enough, two sets maximum.

but mucking around with the distance between feet is bad juju are you still reading 80's muscle and fiction mag's?

I agree with your thoughts on the leg extension.

once a week is enough, two sets maximum.

but mucking around with the distance between feet is bad juju are you still reading 80's muscle and fiction mag's?
I don't think it is...provided your adjusting your weight accordingly. If you're wanting to promote hypertrophy then you shouldn't be lifting your max. Narrow stance (even on a smith where you can focus more on pushing than balancing) can be beneficial...but I do more front squats than back squats anyway

Well I've only just added front squats in, so will give it some time to see the difference.

Also have switched regular squats to narrow stance squats now that my mobility is alot better it works fine.

Will hit some more volume too.

Seems my quads are shrinking, I thought they were OK but guess it was half fat..

I want to add something for quads, but don't want to hit glutes too much I already have a deadlift butt that my Mrs is jealous of..

So far I have two different leg days.

Leg day 1 is Squat + Romanian DL + Calves
Leg day 2 is Deadlift + Front Squat + Calves

Both days I do some leg curls for hamstring, and leg extensions to burn quads more.
But I don't feel much result from the leg extensions and it gives me sore knees.

I was thinking of one of these:
a) Single leg press
b) Barbell Lunge

Can they be done without hitting Glutes much? Are they good for quads?
Or maybe I just stick to leg extension?
A specific remedy that would specifically maximise the targeting of your quads, whilst simultaneously minimising the activation of your glutes would be to do the following: leg extensions as your 1st exercise exhausting your quads, followed by either squats or leg press. By following this pre-exhaustion method, you'll overload the muscle you wish to target/emphasise. In this case, your quads will bear most of the load and fatigue prior to your glutes, resulting in more targeted stimulation/activation where you want it most.

A specific remedy that would specifically maximise the targeting of your quads, whilst simultaneously minimising the activation of your glutes would be to do the following: leg extensions as your 1st exercise exhausting your quads, followed by either squats or leg press. By following this pre-exhaustion method, you'll overload the muscle you wish to target/emphasise. In this case, your quads will bear most of the load and fatigue prior to your glutes, resulting in more targeted stimulation/activation where you want it most.

Thanks Fadi but if quads are tired wouldn't the posterior chain need to assist even more?

I'm going to get some squat shoes that will give me more quad activation too. Nike romaleos

Last edited:
Thanks Fado but if quads are tired wouldn't the posterior chain need to assist even more?

I'm going to get some squat shoes that will give me more quad activation too. Nike romaleos

The quads are primarily doing the work, pre fatigue works, and works well only if you have no rest between the leg extension and squat.

Interesting, I never understood pre fatigue concept. I will have to look into it.

Reckon I'll be lifting less weight with this method? Or is it possible to still hit the same number on the bar?

It will take a few workouts to find the sweet spot, but essentially you need to find a weight that you can perform "properly" 12 good reps to momentary fatigue when you get there hold for 5 seconds.
then, straight away literally run to the squat and do as many as you can.
resist the temptation to do more sets, rather, you need to focus on the intensity of work.
so you may need to reduce the squat kg by half