• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I've been pondering a bit of a bro theory re. quads lately. I theorise that your exercises like squats, leg press, hack squat etc which are good movements for both quads and hams etc can be more quad specific by reducing the weight so that more of the load can be taken by quads without having to recruit so much posterior chain such as when you're trying to move the big weights. No I don't mean light weight, you will always recruit both to a degree but can the proportion be effected? Obviously with squats ROM has a significant effect on which muscle is targeted e.g. ATG it aint' your quads that get you out of the hole.

Discuss.

Of course but the range of motion is very short, certainly not a go to exercise for working the hamstrings

More glutes than hams.

SSFG_693_L.jpg

Another example of this would be quad extensions. Using say your 8-10 rep max you might recruit a lot more of your VL and femoris, whereas within the 12-15 rep max the VMO gets more action. What say you?

More glutes than hams.

So conclusion is I should stay away from Deadlifts, since it's primarily a Glute and Hip exercise not a leg exercise.
In terms of Back development, it's isometric and shouldn't be actively "pulling" I think if performing correctly. My best deadlifts are always when I push with my hips and heels and my arms just "hang" from my back.

I do usually feel my glutes and hammies the next day after deadlifts though. Back not so much, but my arms and forearms do take a hit.
CNS too, my grip is weak the next day.

I'd be ok to give up deads and do more close stance squatting, with the olympic shoes with heel lift to get more quads.

I've been pondering a bit of a bro theory re. quads lately. I theorise that your exercises like squats, leg press, hack squat etc which are good movements for both quads and hams etc can be more quad specific by reducing the weight so that more of the load can be taken by quads without having to recruit so much posterior chain such as when you're trying to move the big weights. No I don't mean light weight, you will always recruit both to a degree but can the proportion be effected? Obviously with squats ROM has a significant effect on which muscle is targeted e.g. ATG it aint' your quads that get you out of the hole.

Discuss.
What's there to discuss, this has been known since Milo lifted his first calf and this goes for any and all exercises.

Discuss.

I won't make any difference' using the same device.

if your goal is to go to fatigue, then the low back will fatigue sooner than the quads and glutes, seeing as the glutes are taking the brunt of the action, these will fatigue before the quads, this of course also depends on how close you have positioned yourself (body/seat) to the foot platform as in
the further away you are the less range of movement the quads do.

one great reason to pre fatigue the quads, done properly it is a unique feeling, (on a leg press) to feel the quads burn like a bitch, halfway through the set, whilst the glutes actually start doing something.

Discuss.
Front squats would throw more of the focus onto the quads and abdominals, where the back squat would emphasise the glutes and posterior chain stabiliser muscles. Getting out of a deep hole requires plenty of glutes and hamstring strength before the quads are fully engaged. At the end of the day, the pre-exhaust method would see to it that you and not the muscles are in charge of who (as in which muscle) dominates the lift the most and gets the most benefit.

Thanks Fadi but if quads are tired wouldn't the posterior chain need to assist even more?
By applying the pre-exhaust method, you've practically changed the whole balance of which muscle becomes the primary activator /dominator; which muscle becomes the secondary and less dominant, and most importantly, you've altered and shifted the whole equation of the time factor. So to answer your query directly, I'd say the posterior chain would just be about waking up, when your quads have had it. So no, there won't be enough time (enough reps performed) to fully engage and tire out your posterior chain before your quads have been fried.

I'm going to get some squat shoes that will give me more quad activation too. Nike romaleos
Olympic weightlifting shoes would not allow for more quad activation in and of themselves. If anything, what you get in a direct manner through the wearing of this shoes would be more knee stress (and in particular the partial tendon part of your knee). No I'm not putting weightlifting shoes down in the least, I've been wearing then for over 30 years. I'm simply giving you the facts I see on the ground when one lifts their heels up could of inches off the ground. As far as quad activation goes: the shoes would help you in keeping an upright stance (your torso that is) than if you didn't have them on and had a terribly tight ankle / lack of ankle flexibility...., which by the way you (and everyone else) squatting would benefit from stretching them on a daily basis.

Reckon I'll be lifting less weight with this method? Or is it possible to still hit the same number on the bar?
Weight on the bar is only relative 9up to a point), and should never be your standard of what is really taking place at the cellular level deep within your muscle fibers. In a nutshell, forget weight and focus on effort. Effort is the only language your muscles and nervous system understands and responds to. Weight on the bar might attract the girls though, feed your ego, and possibly lead you to an injury you'd have been rather better without. Just saying :)

By applying the pre-exhaust method, you've practically changed the whole balance of which muscle becomes the primary activator /dominator; which muscle becomes the secondary and less dominant, and most importantly, you've altered and shifted the whole equation of the time factor. So to answer your query directly, I'd say the posterior chain would just be about waking up, when your quads have had it. So no, there won't be enough time (enough reps performed) to fully engage and tire out your posterior chain before your quads have been fried.

Olympic weightlifting shoes would not allow for more quad activation in and of themselves. If anything, what you get in a direct manner through the wearing of this shoes would be more knee stress (and in particular the partial tendon part of your knee). No I'm not putting weightlifting shoes down in the least, I've been wearing then for over 30 years. I'm simply giving you the facts I see on the ground when one lifts their heels up could of inches off the ground. As far as quad activation goes: the shoes would help you in keeping an upright stance (your torso that is) than if you didn't have them on and had a terribly tight ankle / lack of ankle flexibility...., which by the way you (and everyone else) squatting would benefit from stretching them on a daily basis.

Weight on the bar is only relative 9up to a point), and should never be your standard of what is really taking place at the cellular level deep within your muscle fibers. In a nutshell, forget weight and focus on effort. Effort is the only language your muscles and nervous system understands and responds to. Weight on the bar might attract the girls though, feed your ego, and possibly lead you to an injury you'd have been rather better without. Just saying :)

Thanks Fadi, on the ankle flexibility I have no issues here and can get ATG without buttwink. But I do find I'm less upright because of the amount I'm "sitting back" into the squat. Using my hips and glutes to push forward on the way up.

Pre-exhaustion does sound interesting.

But I really favour keeping things simple and this is an advanced training method to me. I'm probably not far along enough to need it yet.

Front squats I may try again though and get back into. They have been good for my posture as well in the past, holding the upper back straighter upright

If you want muscles to grow, don't focus on the number on the bar. Time under tension and volume are king IMO