• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

LateStarter

Hi All,

Just switched from seated overhead press (slight incline), to standing again.

I realised my grip was way too wide (on the gnurling), and have bought my grip into should width as per the various form guidelines on "proper form". Generally I feel stronger like this too with less shoulder pain.

However when I bring the bar down, as it gets past my nose, my right forearm feels like a tendon is flicking over something.
It feels like a tendon flicks or a small electric shock. I can't figure if it's tendon or nerve.

There is no pain afterwards, but it is so strange that I can't continue I'm sure something will break eventually if I do.

I was fully warmed up, stretched etc.
This is not the only time it's happened, and it's the reason I had my grip too wide to avoid it..

I don't want to give up the lift, would rather find a cause..

Anybody else had this problem on OH press?

Heard someone once say that some painless clicking noises are Tendons/Ligaments flicking over Bone or stuff. Was that on here? Not sure how true it is.

Heard someone once say that some painless clicking noises are Tendons/Ligaments flicking over Bone or stuff. Was that on here? Not sure how true it is.

I've heard this as well - dunno if its true though. Sounds plausible.

Can you move your grip out a little until you no longer have this sensation? The "shocks" sound more concerning than the creaks and cracks

That's what it feels like, as if I have a long tendon going over the bone at one point. Then when I get to the bottom and it's under pressure it pops around to the other side of the bone.

I'm going to try and change my grip, I might be bending my wrists too much

Everything crunches, clicks and zaps every day. Just ignore it or you'll never get any lifting done.

Lol. See, dis is why Baz is a starting Prop Forward for Ausbb. Don't tell me about the pain just show me the Baby - right Baz. :D

In general terms for more minor aches and cracks etc but I know Baz doesn't mean for more major things like Sciatica etc.

Lol. See, dis is why Baz is a starting Prop Forward for Ausbb. Don't tell me about the pain just show me the Baby - right Baz. :D

In general terms for more minor aches and cracks etc but I know Baz doesn't mean for more major things like Sciatica etc.

Yeah I'm not talking about serious stuff. People are worried too much about every little ache and pain. You are lifting weights, it's supposed to hurt at times and do it long enough with enough effort you will likely end up injured at some point.

If it bothers you that much try different width grip or use dumbells and see if there's a difference buf it doesn't sound like it's anything to worry about

So funny Bazza was right in a way.

Gave it another go tonight this time with wrist wraps and an improved grip.

Still got the shocks with that setup.

But pushed through it with lighter weights and I guess my tendons need extra long warmup.

In the end I'm pushing 60kg with no arm snaps.
Same as my seated press, sweet..

Thanks Bazza

I'm by no means a good overhead presser, but I found that this works. Use a thumbless narrow grip, like you're doing a front squat. Then elbows directly out in front of you. This way you can come all the way down to your chest and get more ROM. I feel that stopping the weight short, around chin level, is what caused me pain.

Last edited:
I'm by no means a good overhead presser, but I found that this works. Use a thumbless narrow grip, like you're doing a front squat. Then elbows directly out in front of you. This way you can come all the way down to your chest and get more ROM. I feel that stopping the weight short, around chin level, is what caused me pain.

Yep I've started aiming for that.

Saw this video linked on reddit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU

I couldn't see elbows out being comfortable at all. For a narrow grip I tuck my elbows in to my lats, Alan Thrall style