• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
If anything, your protein is a little too high. It won't do any harm, but protein is expensive for no additional benefit.

I've been researching this a bit lately as I've been wanting to fit more carbs into my macros as they taste better, are more filling and are much cheaper. The very upper limit with some fudge factor thrown in is 1.8g/kg of body weight. No research shows that any higher builds or preserves muscle mass. I aim for 2g/kg which lets me be a bit flexible and eat foods with less protein if it happens to be the case.

Have a read of this well written article.
http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Fats are the next important macros, and can involve a bit of trial and error to get right. I think the minimum is 0.6g/kg of body weight. I aim for around 0.75g/kg, but I don't need to make an effort as fats are easy to consume in everyday food. I usually have a serving of cheese, nuts and yoghurt and I easily hit my numbers. One thing to take note of is to not go crazy on fat when on a cut. Fat turns to fat much easier by the body. So if your calculations are slightly out, you'll rack up the calories fast.

Predictably most people say that you fill the rest of your macros up with carbs, not true. I used to think this way and found it hard to stick to a diet plan. The rest of your macros can be filled up with whatever you want. More protein and fat if you like eating protein and fat. As long as you hit the minimum of the above totals, eat whatever you want (most likely carbs) that fill up the rest of your calories.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve interesting, I've actually come across that article before. This kind of topic I've seen alot of debate on previously.

I like the other benefits of protein too though like feeling full and being able to enjoy lots of meat :)

Protein is filling, but so are the "right" type of carbs. I like to fill up on rice, oats, weet-bix, wholemeal pasta. Carbs high in fibre.

Importantly Steve has provided another perspective which has been effective for him. The take away is that the most critical element is calories in vs calories out. You will find what works for you and what you feel comfortable with; but this demonstrates the variability of approaches between individuals.

There has been research that shows protein requirements increase above 2g/kg while training in a caloric deficit (sorry about the formatting) -

Adequate protein consumption during contest
preparation is required to support maintenance of LBM.
Athletes require higher protein intakes to support increased
activity and strength athletes benefit from higher
intakes to support growth of LBM [5,22-28]. Some researchers
suggest these requirements increase further
when athletes undergo energy restriction [13,16,22,28-33].
Furthermore, there is evidence that protein requirements
are higher for leaner individuals in comparison to those
with higher body fat percentages [7,33,34].
The collective agreement among reviewers is that a protein
intake of 1.2-2.2 g/kg is sufficient to allow adaptation
to training for athletes whom are at or above their energy
needs [23-28,35-38]. However, bodybuilders during their
contest preparation period typically perform resistance and
cardiovascular training, restrict calories and achieve very
lean conditions [2-6,17-21]. Each of these factors increases
protein requirements and when compounded may further
increase protein needs [33]. Therefore, optimal protein intakes
for bodybuilders during contest preparation may be
significantly higher than existing recommendations.
In support of this notion, Butterfield et al. [22] found
that male athletes running five to 10 miles per day during
a slight caloric deficit were in a significant negative
nitrogen balance despite consuming 2 g/kg of protein
daily. Celejowa et al. [39] showed that five out of 10
competitive weight lifters achieved a negative nitrogen
balance over the course of a training camp while consuming
an average protein intake of 2 g/kg. Out of these
five, as many as three were in a caloric deficit. The authors
concluded that a protein intake of 2–2.2 g/kg
under these conditions only allows for a small margin of
error before nitrogen losses occur.
Walberg et al. [32] examined the effects of two energy
restricted isocaloric diets of differing protein intakes in
19 lean (9.1-16.7% body fat), male, non-competitive
body builders. One group consumed a protein intake of
0.8 g/kg and higher carbohydrates, while the other consumed
1.6 g/kg of protein with lower carbohydrates. The
length of the intervention was only one week, but nonetheless
nitrogen losses occurred only in the lower protein
group and LBM decreased by a mean of 2.7 kg in
the 0.8 g/kg protein group and by a mean of 1.4 kg in
the 1.6 g/kg protein group. While the high protein group
mitigated LBM losses compared to the low protein
group, they were not eliminated.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-20

Both dietary and body proteins can be used for energy in the face of this energy
shortfall. Thus, the body increases its anabolic response to protein to protect against
lean mass losses, becoming more efficient in its use of protein [5]. However, this increase
in efficiency often does not prevent losses of muscle mass, especially in lean individuals
even when weight training [6]. For this reason, it has been hypothesized that consuming
a higher intake of protein in the range of 0.8 to 1.2 g/lb (1.8-2.7 g/kg) while dieting could
offset losses of body protein to help preserve muscle mass [6-8].
At this stage, there are studies clearly showing the superiority of higher protein intakes for lean
mass preservation in non-overweight resistance-trained populations when comparing:
 0.72 g/lb (1.6 g/kg) to 0.36 g/lb (0.8 g/kg) for 1 week [9]
 1.05 g/lb (2.3 g/kg) to 0.45 g/lb (1 g/kg) for 2 weeks [10]
 and 1.09 g/lb (2.4 g/kg) to 0.55 g/lb (1.2 g/kg) for 3 weeks [11].

Above is from a paid Eric Helms publication which I cannot find a free link to.

Be aware that 1.2g/kg is still considered 'low' and the stats above only show a positive effect of mitigating catabolism with an increasing protein intake.

Admittedly I have cherry picked a bit there and there are many studies showing no measurable difference in body composition between the upper and lower protein intakes, but there is no reason to believe that protein intake at the higher end of the range is detrimental, whereas the lower end of the range may be, not to mention other benefits of higher protein intake like satiety and the availability of a substrate for gluconeogenesis in periods of severe carbohydrate restriction.

Last edited:
Good points. Like I said in an earlier post, hit your minimums and then eat whatever you want. I'm just a bit against "bros" trying to eat 3g/kg of protein, thinking they are getting a benefit. It's an expensive and borderline unhealthy way to eat.

Admittedly my current protein intake is around 2.7g/kg at the moment. This is partly because my body weight is so low and I'm still stuck in my old eating habits. Post comp I'm going to play around with this a bit.

Thanks, all very cool stuff.
I've watched alot of Eric Helms videos.

3g/kg may be too much, I'm going for 3g this time but per lean body mass and not total body mass.

Preservation of muscle is one thing.
But post-training I'm wanting to have short bursts of muscle growth as well. I know long term positive and negative nitrogen balance will even out, but even if it's placebo I might get some benefit :)

But I don't want to lose in expense of carbs for training.. so I may be quite flexible as long as meet my total calories.
Flexible meaning I'll probably have more complex carbs in the meal prior to training, and more proteins in the meals post-training.

I've been reading recently that protein synthesis is actually highest at 24 hours post training, not the usual 1 hour anabolic window people used to talk about. So protein the following day is important as well..

Too much to think about really, will just have to do my best, stick to calories, and ensure I can hit the training hard.

Lastly the effect of sleep is probably just as important. Travelling for work my sleep has been screwed up I just can't hit it as hard in the gym. Caught up on sleep last night now I'm pumped to hit a good workout tonight.. although I have a 7pm flight so it's going to be a late night workout.. will see.

Too much to think about really, will just have to do my best, stick to calories, and ensure I can hit the training hard.

I think this is the key; we're getting technical and if you just want to drop a few kegs over a few months there's no reason to, or to be crucifying yourself with super low macros.

I've been reading recently that protein synthesis is actually highest at 24 hours post training, not the usual 1 hour anabolic window people used to talk about. So protein the following day is important as well..

This is correct. Hence my mentioning of training each muscle grouping 2-3x in a single week. Or as often as possible.

Tim.

But yeah, you have an excellent attitude and will do just fine.

Mentioning Eric Helms just won you a few more points too haha.

Tim.