• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Seated is better, you can see that the knee is braced correctly, it won't move forward, and the seat is short so it won't place restriction on the muscle.

image.jpg

in the second pic the seat is too long, and the support is on top of the thigh.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 33
No, I understand, the RDL, is a safer option, with the stiffy, you're sort, (well, you are) of limited by the weight you can use on the bar, the lower back will tire well before the ham's receive any benefit I recommend the leg curl if you really want to go after them, the lying version, most seated ones don't hold the knee in the correct position properly.
thats just my opinion.
What about Nordics/GHR? Even assisted with a band if you can't do bodyweight with good form

Seated is better, you can see that the knee is braced correctly, it won't move forward, and the seat is short so it won't place restriction on the muscle.

View attachment 11963

in the second pic the seat is too long, and the support is on top of the thigh.
I like the seated curl. It's grouse.
Can really feel a good contraction in the hammies, unlike the sldl where all I feel is the stretch.

Both of your issues are all about form.

If the "pain" goes after a couple of warmup sets, then its just DOMS.

But.

If you are getting doms in your back and not your legs, its a sign that you are using your lower back to move the weight, not your legs and glutes. So you are not squatting with a back "too straight", if you mean squatting with a back too upright, sort of like an olympic lifter would. That won't hurt your back.

The more vertical your back the more emphasis is placed on your glutes and legs, which is what you want. Usually you rely on your back if you are using a weight to heavy for you and/or at the end of your workout when your legs are tiring and your body is looking for a way to get that weight moving. You end up losing tension in your lower back and doing a bastardised "good morning" motion to get the bar up.

The answer is to use a belt properly to push air into your core, which tightens the back, along with keeping your chest up through the entire movement. Once you feel yourself losing that tension to get the rep out, then you are done with that weight. Either stop or drop the weight to finish your workout.

Stiff leg deads: If you have the flexibility you might go all the way down to the floor. But, its rare to find someone who is genuinely that flexible, and even if you did thats not the aim of the exercise.

The way to find your "correct" depth is to take a light weight, close your eyes and focus your mind on your hamstrings. Feel them work as you lower the weight, keeping it as close to your legs as possible while keeping your knees locked (hence the term, Stiff Legged). When you feel tension in the hammy fibres, you are deep enough. Flex the hammies to come back up again. You should not be using your back or legs to do that, just your hamstrings. Work up to your normal weight, using that first depth test as your stopping point.

People make the mistake of letting their knees unlock and bend to get more depth. You don't need it. Thats not the point of stiff legged deads. Its to hit the hammies, not set a new deadlift PR.

Great reply mate, thanks.
It's usually gone 3-4 days after leg day, but I can feel that it's not DOMS.

Alright, so I'm doing the right thing with my back nice and straight, there seems to be some conjecture about this.
I focused tonight on really powering through with the legs like I thought I had previously, but with more focus I saw that I hadn't been concentrating as well as I should.
Squats felt better, but I need to lower the weight on the SL Deadlifts to achieve the form you're talking about.
I was probably doing more of a Romanian Deadlift as I see more of a benefit for my hamstrings than a SL.

I'm hoping to get a rack soon so I focus on correcting form and being safe when squatting.

Thanks everyone for the replies! 2 or 3 pages worth in the time it took me to get back to my computer.
I'm going to add some more focus work on my lumbar which I thought was pretty strong but maybe not the case.
Also will try some form tweaks to get things happening better.

Fadi you're not wrong. Turns out its been tight glutes the whole time. Have to roll on them frequently at the moment and extra stretching too.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk