• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
We know what it is.

when we do multi joint movements the smaller muscle fatigue before there is any real inroad to fatigue of the larger muscleture in the exercise, hence doing multiple sets.

as an example; (primary larger muscle)

the press; (triceps)
pre fatigue the delt's with a lateral raise

the squat; (buttocks)
pre fatigue the quads with the leg extension

chun-up; (lats)
pre fatigue the lats with machine pullover

and so-on...

I'd to know whether you've tried this, and your thoughts, I think there are some important things to note for it to work.

1. Should only be done once every fourth workout, as it is very intense and recovery can take some time.
2. Movement between exercise *must* be quick, as quick as 3 seconds, any longer then that and the targeted muscles recover as much as 50%
3. The entire workout itself must need to be extremely brief (15 to 29 minutes)

I particularly like pre-fatiguing the shoulders, ie side raises before press.I really find it difficult to stimulate the shoulders otherwise. I really should do it more often.

Might have to give that a go, easy enough to try in rapid succession. I feel like I can never hit my shoulders enough to get them to grow :(

Not sure what you mean whitey.
DB Pullover
1d184f5bda9821e55709ded52e08951b.jpg

Straight arm pull down
735bc2d47b052c54effed1a5a2220bfa.jpg

long time ago.

Pretty hard to do a straight arm pulldown wrong.
Cannot remove the tricep out of the movement. Triceps fail long befor lats.
I definitely get it in my lats before the tris but do them as one of my last back exercises.
Pretty slow, need to breathe in on the way down and out on the way up. Works a lot better like that for some reason. Pause at the bottom, focus on the squeeze and don't go all the way to the top to let the tension off, just above head height.

oh, are you asking which one?

both.
No, I originally asked Shrek if he had tried pulldowns and said he must have been doing them wrong if they were ineffective. You then quoted that part of the conversation but referenced back to pullovers, hence the confusion.

I prefer pullovers as a chest exercise, provided you focus on contracting the chest rather than the lats. Also works very well with a weight plate sandwhiched between your plans as the chest must contract to hold the plate...but I'm off track here now!

I definitely get it in my lats before the tris but do them as one of my last back exercises.
Pretty slow, need to breathe in on the way down and out on the way up. Works a lot better like that for some reason. Pause at the bottom, focus on the squeeze and don't go all the way to the top to let the tension off, just above head height.
I prefer pullovers but then the chest gets fried so not good as a pre-fatigue.

Yep, used to pre-fatigue. As has been said medial Delts and Chest.

But, have wondered for a few years now if pre-fatiguing puts added pressure on the joints as our Bodies are meant to move synergistically. There's probably good anatomical reasons, such as stability of the joint, why the Chest and Medial Delts (as an example) aren't as easy to fatigue in "Gross Motor" movements.

Just something I've wondered for a few years now.