• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

G

Banned
Hello,

I been seeing all the different kinds of lifting one can do.

Strongman, Powerlifting, Crossfit, Olympic Weightlifting and so forth.

Well...

For someone who is not planning on doing this for competition but general well being (get as strong as I can for my own wow factor)...

Which program would be the most healthy over-all...

Like - Which one provides stamina, endurance, cardiovascular health/endurance and so forth?

So not just be very very strong, but, well rounded, someone thats athletic like, great inward and outward health.

I find Olympic weightlifting very enjoyable... but I been reading a lot about stuff and Im coming across things like, if you do powerlifting, then you develop a certain type of muscle which is not helpful to olympic weightlifting, as that is more explosive, and needs to condition the muscles that way.

So in essence you cant just go do everything, because your body has to condition based on what you are trying to do and everything else is counter-productive.

Anyway, which is the healthiest overall for good blood, lower heart rate, stamina endurance, strength etc?

Do whatever you enjoy. If you enjoy it, you will continue to do it. If you don't enjoy doing it, it will become a chore and you'll give it away.

If it helps with your everyday life then you'll probably enjoy it so the circle repeats.

If you are not competing in any of them you are not really doing them anyway.

What ever you are reading about powerlifting developing a certain type of muscle. Scrap it. Sure you don't want to do a heap of powerlifting if you are a competitive o lifter but that's for other reasons. You don't need to worry about it. You can get very explosive from powerlifting.

Just pick the exercises you enjoy and cover the whole body and go with it. Overthinking this as a recreational lifter is wasting energy.

Hello,

Well...

For someone who is not planning on doing this for competition but general well being (get as strong as I can for my own wow factor)...

Like - Which one provides stamina, endurance, cardiovascular health/endurance and so forth?

So not just be very very strong, but, well rounded, someone thats athletic like, great inward and outward health.

I find Olympic weightlifting very enjoyable... but I been reading a lot about stuff and Im coming across things like, if you do powerlifting, then you develop a certain type of muscle which is not helpful to olympic weightlifting, as that is more explosive, and needs to condition the muscles that way.

So in essence you cant just go do everything, because your body has to condition based on what you are trying to do and everything else is counter-productive.

Anyway, which is the healthiest overall for good blood, lower heart rate, stamina endurance, strength etc?

if you had to choose from either of those methods of "training" crossfit would be the option that I would choose.

the early or traditional metcon methods of crossfit (before it was a sport) are really good.

If you want to have a good balance of strength, endurance, cardio vascular health, you need to train for each. In a way that's kind of my goal. 5x a week I do strength based training and 2x a week I do cardio based (hiking, running, cycling, HIIT). I think also add in a lot of body weight training. I'm surprised at how many people lift weights and then can't even do a pull up or run 10 minutes.

Overthinking things massively, just train.

Unless you are competing it matters little how you train as long as you train.

If you want cardio fitness you need to do cardio, excessive cardio will hamper muscle development.

Think why you are doing cardio, 20km runs are not necessarily healthy and probably do more harm than good, while a 3-5km walk would be more beneficial for the average person.

No point running every day unless you really love running.

You have been thinking about all this for some months on this forum, G-man. I think you should do something.

This is pretty much horse shit. If you just want to "get fit", just go to your local 24 hour gym and sit on some machines. But if you are going to all the effort and expense of going to a gym, go to get strong. That will make you harder to kill. It's also how your body is made, to work and be challenged phyiscally. So do a strength centered program then after, go for a walk or run or swim or whatever for conditioning.

If you aren't progressing, your body is not changing.

Hello,

Well...

Bodybuilding.