• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I think the whole spotter thing around squat is hardly good from a spectator point of view; that is my view.

There are different feds, so yes there are different records for stands and monos. But the stand-using feds (all associated with IPF) are drug-tested, the monolift-using feds are not. So that is a more significant difference in numbers than stands vs monos.

Or just use a monolift with slings....imagine that. With an appropriate setup they could still walk them out if thats what they want.

Even if its not a monolift but some other saftey system.

Its always a concern when i walk out to squat and see a spotter weighing about as much as my left leg.

Tim.

I think you are on the money here Timeah. I have always thought that there was a need for a safety sling on each side. Easy enough to do, just have to tear themselves away from the lucrative Eleiko sponsorship. Or kick Eleiko in the arse and tell them to sort out a safety system for their squat setup.

The bench press safety stops on the Eleiko bench are spot on. Easy to adjust and no chance of a bar slipping between the upright and horizontal arm, like some cheaper/badly engineered systems out there.

But manual spotting on squats is a half arsed safety measure, which means it's not safe at all, for neither the lifter or spotters.

Putting it in a cage with safety straps would be easy enough. They could be adjustable as well to allow for the differences in height of each lifter. e.g. Ray Willams vs Sergey Fedosienko. I'm pretty sure they would not interfere with side judging either.

Cage would have to be bolted down, and/or very heavy. Regular power rack has 300+ dumped on it and it's tipping over. If you set the safeties just a few inches below the lowest point of the bar for that lifter, the safeties would obscure the view of depth on the bigger lifters.

Unfortunately there are no easy solutions to these issues. If there were we'd do them already.

I can't see that working for low-bar, elbows would be wrenched out, bars would roll down the more horizontal back, and so on. As well, PL uses iron plates, which means a dumped bar will often get wrecked. Which is better than a lifter being wrecked, of course, but think of how many squats are failed in a meet, how many would be dumped, it starts to add up to a lot of barbells wrecked, and a lot of expense to running a meet, and thus to lifter fees etc.

I have a solution, ban monos and spotters, expect one, and then maybe people will pick the right weights and not miss so many lifts. Maybe all that shit gives people are false sense of security.

Well, Marty Gallagher did say that you could make powerlifting more exciting by removing the spotters...

Should we take away the mats for judo, high jump and parallel bars gymnastics, too? Whatever the weight lifted, anyone can get a cramp or lose balance for a moment.

But really this is why WL and strongman stuff is more popular to watch than PL. Nobody wants to watch you lift with half a dozen of your mates hanging around. They just want to watch the athlete do stuff.

I can't see that working for low-bar, elbows would be wrenched out, bars would roll down the more horizontal back, and so on. As well, PL uses iron plates, which means a dumped bar will often get wrecked. Which is better than a lifter being wrecked, of course, but think of how many squats are failed in a meet, how many would be dumped, it starts to add up to a lot of barbells wrecked, and a lot of expense to running a meet, and thus to lifter fees etc.

As I said it's a skill, a skill that needs to be incorporated in training , but I'm no PLer, just commenting on what I see, it is a sport like any other, "training" is key.