• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

G

Banned
Hello,

As I have been understanding the foundational principles in lifting, and the basic 4 things you need to lift regardless of which training program you are going to use...

As a weight lifter, you would need bumper plates as the weights are dropped from overhead (outside a power rack).

On the other hand, A power lifter in a rack can do the lifts with cast iron... even if he was to fail and drop the bar, the weights wont be hitting the ground... Would this still damage the bar though because they are not rubber?

Last question: Finding a huge interest in functional strength and therefor strongman type lifting/pulling/pushing etc, would I need Bumper plates, or Cast iron is fine even for a strongman type routine?

I know i still need the regular things, bench, bar, rack and so forth, i just wondered on the weights, would I need bumper plates or strongman is like pwoerlifitng and cast iron is all you need.

I deadlift with steel plates on a rubber mat.

Really bumpers are only needed if you are repeatedly dumping the bar from shoulder-above head height repeatedly.

But up to you. 1kg is 1kg

Don't listen to nonsense bro, bumpers are not just for dropping, their primary purpose is to make you look like you are lifting more, put 4 x 15s on each side on bench and you look like a fully sick kunce.

I've got a heap of bumpers and a heap of steel calibrated plates. The bumpers are unnecessary and breakdown but Grunta is on the money.

1 inch thick calibrated 25kg plates look very unimpressive on the bench. You can get some cheap bumpers that will almost fill the bar with 150kg. Get those and use in all the social media profile pics.

eYzGwbi.gif

lol.

Thanks for all the humorous replies...

Now wheres a serious answer?

How many weights, whats it look like, 25kg is 25kg, i could care less if its a thin cast iron plate or a big fat rubber plate. For me its about what is going to be more practical for strength training/strongman.

If weights are not something that get dropped in that, then no need bumper and stick to Cast Iron. If strongman incorporate cleans and other type of exercises where dropping is needed, then may as well save on the Iron cost and just get the bumpers.

Hello,

As I have been understanding the foundational principles in lifting, and the basic 4 things you need to lift regardless of which training program you are going to use...

As a weight lifter, you would need bumper plates as the weights are dropped from overhead (outside a power rack).

On the other hand, A power lifter in a rack can do the lifts with cast iron... even if he was to fail and drop the bar, the weights wont be hitting the ground... Would this still damage the bar though because they are not rubber?

Last question: Finding a huge interest in functional strength and therefor strongman type lifting/pulling/pushing etc, would I need Bumper plates, or Cast iron is fine even for a strongman type routine?

I know i still need the regular things, bench, bar, rack and so forth, i just wondered on the weights, would I need bumper plates or strongman is like pwoerlifitng and cast iron is all you need.

Humor aside, steelys or rubber coated plates have a hand slot to help grab and move them with one hand, makes life a lot easier.

Gonna get Bumper then.

Seems more versatile and open to routine change when one wants to shape up, rather than just end up a fat powerlifter with no care for how he looks.

Gonna get Bumper then.

Seems more versatile and open to routine change when one wants to shape up, rather than just end up a fat powerlifter with no care for how he looks.

Doing o lifts won't stop you form being fat.

Shape up? So you have to drop your weights to be able to drop some fat? Don't be ridiculous...

Unless you're doing cleans, snatches, etc there's no reason for them IMO. Rubber coated is the better option. Fit more on the bar when you get stronger and easier to handle.

If you drop your weights from overhead and no one is around to hear it, is it still an awesome feat of functional strength?

Serious answer:

Food makes you big or fat, maybe both but thats up to you, your body gives no fuck at all what the plates look like.

Buy or make thick rubber mats if you want to drop the bar on the ground.

Also if you plan on dropping bumpers you need to drop them on a o lift platform or rubber mats. Dropping them on concrete will kill them.

Gonna get Bumper then.

Second most absurd thing I've heard. Lol