• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Yeah. It worked at the time.

Shrek deletes the posts and then tries to manufacture the magic again. Doesn't work that way.
I thought it was a serious thread. If not, post not-serious threads in the general topic forum.

The reality is (I reckon) is that no one really knows why they do it and what for.
for years people thought it was a good method of weight control.
Still surprised at this. Yes it is an effective method of increasing energy output to lose weight. Why has no one mentioned the benefits to the circulatory system (as defined here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circulatory_system), including strengthening of the heart and lungs and circulatory system to....you know....avoid heart attacks and chronic illness and premature death and stuff.....

some think it makes one fitter, but for what?
I just think "cardio" is an activity to become conditioned to the things we do throughout the week.
So health benefits aside, why do we need to lift? To become strong enough to do the things we do throughout the week? To carry the shopping? To pick up a small child? Aside from living a longer, healthier life, what about the innate human desire to excel, be better at whatever we do, to push ourselves to see what we're capable of? This is a fundamental aspect of bodybuilding and power-lifting.

I'm not saying everyone has to be Rob de Castella; I don't think many people would argue that a moderate amount of exercise that challenges the cardiovascular system (nae circulatory system) is not beneficial, and for those who choose to challenge themselves through a more intense cardio based exercise rather than lifting weights, good on you.

And before the goose gets too loose, imo cardio, while by definition can be anything that raises your heart rate, is more commonly a predominantly aerobic form of exercise. And yes, aerobic and anaerobic exercise are not always mutually exclusive. You pedant kunce know what I'm saying.

Last edited:
The reason why no one mentioned that stuff is because it is plainly obvious to everyone except goose it seems.

Reading this book "body by science" and came across this, which is an excellent description of the problems faced in today's society in terms of "fitness" and "health";

The first attempt to confine an adaptive-specific exercise-response relationship to the aerobic system gained popular acceptance in the mid-1960s and was formulated by Kenneth Cooper. Again, though, while Cooper brought forth some important exposure for cardiovascular fitness and a means by which a successful measure of this fitness could be induced, he nevertheless plunged in at what we now know to be the middle of a rather broad continuum, and his prescription has created a situation by which individuals are seriously undermining other aspects of health in order to enhance one lone segment of it—the aerobic system. Rather than being known in the future as the man who “saved America’s hearts,” it is more likely that he will be regarded as the man who “destroyed America’s knees.” Cooper started off the notion of “aerobics” as being synonymous with “cardiovascular” by attempting to produce a form of exercise that isolated the aerobic metabolic system. He believed that doing so would produce health benefits that were transferred to the cardiovascular system, and in a large measure, he was right. A lot of studies were conducted that appeared to confirm his premise, with the result that it soon became locked into the popular consciousness that “aerobic” equaled “aerobics,” which equaled “cardiovascular conditioning.” Over time, this belief has grown to such an extent that any activity—from walking, to jogging, to swimming, to cycling—

Continued - that is low in intensity and steady in state is now referred to as “cardio.” The term aerobics is actually his creation. It is not really a word with any formal definition, but rather a noun used by Cooper to categorize his particular approach to training. Aerobic, in contrast, is a word that has a formal definition; it is an adjective that describes a particular metabolic pathway and means, literally, “with oxygen.”

The aerobic pathway is a segment of the totality of metabolism, but what is lost on many folks who exercise is that there are other metabolic segments as well that, collectively, work together to ensure the total health of the cell and, by extension, the health of the organism that the cells collectively work to support and sustain.

Cooper believed (falsely, as it happens) that the aerobic subsection of metabolism was the most important—more important, in fact, than the totality of metabolic pathways that contribute to human functioning and health. He maintained that this one subsegment of metabolism could and should be isolated and trained.

His belief in this regard has since been shown to be without foundation. The first problem is the belief that the aerobic metabolic pathway can in fact be isolated from the rest of metabolism.

The reality is that metabolism is an uninterrupted whole that is intrinsically tied together. The aerobic machinery is fueled by the substrate pyruvate, which can be produced only through the anaerobic pathway.

Even at this most fundamental level, the interrelatedness of what Cooper believed to be antipodal elements of metabolism is self-evident.

Sorry, "Body by science"
this blokes an MD, turned weight lifter.

Not a fan of cardio
only do it to warm the muscles up
i think people that sit down all day need it
but if your active what's the point ? Of wasting lifting engery

On the off chance that you need to play a game or an activity that requires more than your every day assets then a cardio program would regard condition yourself to the requests that are set upon you, I don't accept cardio should be coordinated into an exercise, however like everything I do feel it should be included no and once more...

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards

I’ll try to find this article, by this heart doctor, he basically says
your heart is only good for so many beats in a lifetime, why waste them on exercise

? sure ur on the right forum? cardio is a must.

Sure kunce
if you eat big yes
he basically said eat small, move slow, preserve the ticker, live long
eating big and exercising big wears your allocation of beats out faster

now before you argue remember
kunce a heart surgeon, not a fruit picker

Sure kunce
if you eat big yes
he basically said eat small, move slow, preserve the ticker, live long
eating big and exercising big wears your allocation of beats out faster

now before you argue remember
kunce a heart surgeon, not a fruit picker

fitter people live longer

I’ll try to find this article, by this heart doctor, he basically says
your heart is only good for so many beats in a lifetime, why waste them on exercise

I'm sure I read something similar. Besides, a good hard lifting session is enough heart rate and respiration to count as cardio, fuck adding running or any variant thereof. I'll take my HIIT as sex, with an extended rest period because I aint 20 anymore but don't need the blue pills yet.

I also wonder if the pancreas works in the same way, so many kunce ending up with the diabeetus could be because the organ is only designed to process a certain amount of glucose before it can't keep up anymore.

I'm sure I read something similar. Besides, a good hard lifting session is enough heart rate and respiration to count as cardio, fuck adding running or any variant thereof. I'll take my HIIT as sex, with an extended rest period because I aint 20 anymore but don't need the blue pills yet.

I also wonder if the pancreas works in the same way, so many kunce ending up with the diabeetus could be because the organ is only designed to process a certain amount of glucose before it can't keep up anymore.

I rectum it works same way

how many really old big fat kunce do you see?
not many?
cos kunce dead