• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fadi

I have an issue with someone getting punched repeatedly once downed by his opponent as we see in this video clip. I fully understand the "tap" as a gesture of defeat, so why do not the people running this MMA fights devise a ruling where once your opponent has been knocked down and is in a very submissive position (again as we see in this clip), why not just back the hell off them? Does the MMA wish to have its members/fighters suffer with more physical damage (and perhaps brain damage) when it's easily preventable?

Now I do realise that the referees quickly run to shield the downed fighter and perhaps push his opponent away, so obviously my question is, why wait for that, and not introduce this ruling as part and parcel of the sport, this way all fighters would know when to back off, and once they do that, the fight is over with one man left standing.

Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

That's MMA. No one forces these guys and gals to participate.
No one forces a grand prix driver to take up the sport either, but at least everything under the sun is done to ensure the ultimate safety of the driver should he crashes. Why not here is what I'm curious about? Any MMA supporters on Ausbb who could answer this question?

Fuck me, how many Gracies are there? Pudz has changed his Boxing style a bit I think. He's evolving as an MMA fighter. Might become good some day.

Pretty sure when the head is supported there less bouncing around of the Brain inside the Skull. The rule is stop the fight when the fighter isn't/can't "intelligently defend himself". If it's a flash knockout no need to stop the fight as the fighter will bounce back up or scramble or defend himself. If he can't intelligently defend himself the Ref has to stop the fight.

Sometimes the Ref is a bit slow getting there.

I have an issue with someone getting punched repeatedly once downed by his opponent as we see in this video clip. I fully understand the "tap" as a gesture of defeat, so why do not the people running this MMA fights devise a ruling where once your opponent has been knocked down and is in a very submissive position (again as we see in this clip), why not just back the hell off them? Does the MMA wish to have its members/fighters suffer with more physical damage (and perhaps brain damage) when it's easily preventable?

Now I do realise that the referees quickly run to shield the downed fighter and perhaps push his opponent away, so obviously my question is, why wait for that, and not introduce this ruling as part and parcel of the sport, this way all fighters would know when to back off, and once they do that, the fight is over with one man left standing.

Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

The ruling is when the fighter can't defend themselves the fight is over. Someone can just be rattled for a second when knocked down and be fine to continue the fight. You don't back off until the ref says it's over.

The guys that watch MMA a lot will have seen countless times a guy get knocked down and the other guy jumps on him only to be submitted or the guy on top wastes energy with ineffective punches only to lose later on.

It can even be used as a tactic by some guys to get the their guy on the ground where their strength lies.

Don't take this the wrong way but it mostly seems you just don't understand MMA that well Fadi.

Not a lot of harm done on the ground there Fadi.

Yeah nothing in it.

Someone put up Bisping Vs Hendo knockout. Haha.

Boxing where you get knocked down, stood back up, knocked down again and again. Is just as bad if not worse for the head.

No one fighting in MMA, boxing or any of the footy codes for that matter is under the illusion that it's great for the brain. No one is being forced to do it. All are safer than years ago.

It's a slippery slope. Do we ban all contact sports?

The ruling is when the fighter can't defend themselves the fight is over. Someone can just be rattled for a second when knocked down and be fine to continue the fight. You don't back off until the ref says it's over.

The guys that watch MMA a lot will have seen countless times a guy get knocked down and the other guy jumps on him only to be submitted or the guy on top wastes energy with ineffective punches only to lose later on.

It can even be used as a tactic by some guys to get the their guy on the ground where their strength lies.

Don't take this the wrong way but it mostly seems you just don't understand MMA that well Fadi.
Based on your excellent explanation of the facts to me Barry, I'd have to agree with you that it's very obvious I do not undersatand MMA that well at all. Thank you.

By the way, I was not insinuating a ban on this or any other sport, I wouldn't do that, for as you rightly stated, no one has been coerced into joining this or any other sport for that matter. Again, I thank you and appreciate your time Bazza.

Based on your excellent explanation of the facts to me Barry, I'd have to agree with you that it's very obvious I do not undersatand MMA that well at all. Thank you.

By the way, I was not insinuating a ban on this or any other sport, I wouldn't do that, for as you rightly stated, no one has been coerced into joining this or any other sport for that matter. Again, I thank you and appreciate your time Bazza.

Sorry. I didn't mean that you were saying it should be banned. Some people do say MMA should be banned though.

Don't get me wrong though the brain injury is a real thing that we need to minimize.

I've got a mate playing footy that has been knocked out way too many times and we are all thinking he should retire.

Yeah nothing in it.

Someone put up Bisping Vs Hendo knockout. Haha.

Hear the crowd cheer when Hendo said that "that was just to shut him up a little bit". Coming off Season 9 of TUF and Bisping as usual was a big mouth and being kunt. So Hendo exacted a bit of revenge in the fight.

This is one of the worst. This is typical of a Street fight. Might be what happened to David Hookes as the Bouncer that hit him was a rangy Boxer - good with Straights. Its the hitting of heads on concrete or objects which kills.

This ended Quarry's career as he suffered neck damage from the KO. Had of been on the Street he might be dead.

Fuck me, how many Gracies are there? Pudz has changed his Boxing style a bit I think. He's evolving as an MMA fighter. Might become good some day.

Pretty sure when the head is supported there less bouncing around of the Brain inside the Skull. The rule is stop the fight when the fighter isn't/can't "intelligently defend himself". If it's a flash knockout no need to stop the fight as the fighter will bounce back up or scramble or defend himself. If he can't intelligently defend himself the Ref has to stop the fight.

Sometimes the Ref is a bit slow getting there.

spot on.

Just because the fight goes to the ground and a opponent is seemingly in a top dominant position, if he still can defend himself the fight should continue as he can recover, outmaneuver and regain a dominant position and fight continues on even grounding.

Obviously there are some instances where the ref is slow to call off a fight or where there is a knockout and winner continues to punch away till stopped, but this is becoming rarer, at the same time the winner must make sure, there have been a few instances where a fighter has backed off as they thought they had KOd and opponent only for the fight to continue and they end up losing...

Just because the fight goes to the ground and a opponent is seemingly in a top dominant position, if he still can defend himself the fight should continue as he can recover, outmaneuver and regain a dominant position and fight continues on even grounding.<br><br>Obviously there are some instances where the ref is slow to call off a fight or where there is a knockout and winner continues to punch away till stopped, but this is becoming rarer, at the same time the winner must make sure, there have been a few instances where a fighter has backed off as they thought they had KOd and opponent only for the fight to continue and they end up losing...