• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

spartacus

Mate and I are writing a book on strength training, hopefully for publication in US via Internet or short book.

Just interested in any thoughts from Ausbb forum members with regard to their philosophies, and lessons learned over years.

It is a book that will be very easy to read based on studies and our experience. My mate is a former Mr Australia (NABBA).

what I am getting at, with woody, darko, silverback, fadi, and anyone else who wants to comment, is what they have learned in terms of need to recovery, wasted exercises, what they would do differently if young again an so on.

sort of, and would appreciate any ideas.

We are talking about our experience with training, in line with all of the latest scientific literature, tyring to separate relevant points from the desire by many to differentiate themselves to move away from basics and reality that there are many ways to train to get results.

We will be talking about all aspects, including drug use. We will cover intensity, nutrition, recovery and so on.

for us, key point is to write book in a way that most masters readers can relate to, enjoy, learn from, and understand.

I find that the only difference between masters lifters and juniors/open is the need for extra recovery time or recovery protocols. Besides that the only limiting factors are old injuries (e.g. old football injuries and such) that restrict mobility and mental toughness.

Older lifters have an advantage over younger lifters, as shown by the OP: we will actually ask for advice, and maybe even follow it.

I am always amazed at what you keep on learning; absolute crucial aspect of book will be to discuss and inform rather than dictate.

Mate and I are writing a book on strength training, hopefully for publication in US via Internet or short book.

Just interested in any thoughts from Ausbb forum members with regard to their philosophies, and lessons learned over years.

It is a book that will be very easy to read based on studies and our experience. My mate is a former Mr Australia (NABBA).

Now it goes without saying that if it's ultimate strength with minimal muscle/weight gain the master athlete is after, then he better hang around the ultra-low reps of 2s, where neural-efficiency is best targeted. Here the rest intervals would have to be assigned according to the weight being lifted. So naturally, the closer the lifter is to his 1RM, the longer the rest intervals between sets.

On the other hand, if strength coupled with muscle hypertrophy (instead of pure strength and power) is the lifter's goal, then in my opinion a protocol utilising the rest-pause method would be the ultimate in two ways: 1) it'll save the lifter plenty of time in the gym since he will be focusing on lifting within a rep range that is most effective for building muscle and increasing strength, and 2) he will be saving plenty of time as a default of using such a protocol, time that would be better utilised for both recovery and growth.

The above was just a quick outline minus the intricate details. I hope it was of help.

Further to the above and from a nutritional point of view, the master athlete's macronutrient are different from that of a younger athlete. For example being at 50 today, would mean my hormone levels are not what they once were, and since insulin's primary function is as growth hormone, after the age of (say) 25 or so, insulin takes a back seat to protein as the main building blocks, leading with the anabolic trigger amino acid Leucine.

So now a balance shifting more towards the consumption of fats (and more protein), and less of carbohydrates to suite the older athlete's requirement ought to be taken into account when designing a personalised diet plan.

Again, the above was just few pointers minus the intricate details.

This is a great thing spart.
Lool forward to reading the final product.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Thanks tim. It is a book which focuses on both of our experiences, but endeavours to offer an easy to understand read of all of the complex literature. There will be no fancy theory in our book, or any claims to know exactly how strength training works.

We talk about all aspects, including PEDs.

I think most will find it a good read, and informative.

It will be an e-book, as I doubt anyone will be interested in publishing a 20,000 word book by us.

What my mate has is contacts in NY, and hopefully we can get a few good reviewers to promote there (and here).

My attitude is: don't expect anyone to buy it, and just see what happens.

Like you goosey, it also gives me a chance to express my thoughts with regard to my first love, sport.

getting a bit ahead of ourselves, and still only have 12,000 words up.

We are thinking $US20 for public, and probably half price for people who know us.

I don't want to put book out there until we get some reviews.

Sounds good spart, how long you reckon it'll take you?
Just a thought but I reckon 20 bucks might be a bit rich