• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I use mainly compound lifts. Not because of the boost in test but just because the are more enjoyable lifts to do.

Yeah, but I suspect that a part of that enjoyment is the surge in T that you get, among other things.

I use mainly compound lifts. Not because of the boost in test but just because the are more enjoyable lifts to do.

That is a key point; one will get the best results from doing what they enjoy rather than worrying about finding the holy grail for training.

As long as approaches to resistance, intensity and diet are sound, many, many approaches will work.

I reckon that Most of the multi joint exercises are necessary, but you've got to add over time now and again the single joint exercises to assist the multi.

That is a key point; one will get the best results from doing what they enjoy rather than worrying about finding the holy grail for training.

As long as approaches to resistance, intensity and diet are sound, many, many approaches will work.

Just interested sparto.

what do you think the enjoyment is?

for me, it's not the enjoyment or likening the exercise, some actually just make me feel really uncomfortable and weak and ill.

like the leg press for example, when my quads and glutes are burning to a point at making me feel sick I know this is good for me, I hate the exercise, but the feeling afterwards I really enjoy.

Goosey.

yes, intensity is hardly enjoyable.

What i was referring to is comfort with certain exercises. For example, I have always hated bent over rows and T-bars as always felt too much to do. Always preferred machine rows and pulldowns to really isolate and contract back muscles.

Same with leg press; do not feel comfortable, especially as I choose to focus on unilateral methods to try and regain balance since serious stress fracture.

I also feel that some exercises still compound, say lunges and stepups, and do not have flexibility to do squats properly.

That is what I refer to when I suggest finding right exercises to suit mindset.

Yes, intensity, a necessary requirement depending on your ability to recover in terms of frequency, is always painful.

Ok

interesting you bring up rows, this is what I mean about introducing a single joint, or isolation exercise to help strengthen certain muscles that play a supportive nature in a multi joint movement as opposed to a mechanical role.

it really grinds my gears when people state you don't need isolatory exercises, it's just dumb.

as far as single joints exercises are concerned I don't believe more than a couple of sets are needed to garner goods results

I didn't say you never need isolation exercises @Goosey; I just advocated the benefits of Compounds when a lot people put Frank Zane's "bodybuilding is all about isolations" quote as Gospel. OK for 'pure Bodybuilders' and 'Bro's', but a lot of people aren't 'pure Bodybuilders' or 'Bro's'.

when I broke my collarbone a few years ago, my recovery was all with machines. first chinup go matched what I did before I broke it.

So, it seems logical that some machine exercises can be just as good as free weight compounds, albeit some may argue that chins all out do not compare to a max squat and so on.

Especially as we age, and our joints are not so good, you can go a long way thinking beyond holy grail exercises.

Last year I did 2.44m standing long jump; I bet I will smash that this year with no squats at all.

Ok

interesting you bring up rows, this is what I mean about introducing a single joint, or isolation exercise to help strengthen certain muscles that play a supportive nature in a multi joint movement as opposed to a mechanical role.

it really grinds my gears when people state you don't need isolatory exercises, it's just dumb.

as far as single joints exercises are concerned I don't believe more than a couple of sets are needed to garner goods results

What single joint exercises do you think you need.

Speaking of what you enjoy. I've never been a fan of endurance stuff but I kind of enjoy that almost pass out feeling you get after a short hard set.

I didn't say you never need isolation exercises @Goosey; I just advocated the benefits of Compounds when a lot people put Frank Zane's "bodybuilding is all about isolations" quote as Gospel. OK for 'pure Bodybuilders' and 'Bro's', but a lot of people aren't 'pure Bodybuilders' or 'Bro's'.

Yeah it's all good stiff, just voicing my thoughts.

What single joint exercises do you think you need.

Speaking of what you enjoy. I've never been a fan of endurance stuff but I kind of enjoy that almost pass out feeling you get after a short hard set.

Thats a long list over a lifetime of lifting.

but for example if someone was primarily squatting, then over time adding; leg extensions, leg curls, back extensions, bicep curls, ab work, calf raises and such here and there is going to help them squat.

Chin ups could require some added grip work, curls and such

bench press, tricep work, flyes.....

It is not easy to find a pure or a true isolation exercise. Some people would refer to a standing barbell curl as an isolation exercise for the biceps, and would put down those who would include it in their workouts, pointing out that the biceps derives all the stimulation it needs to grow through some compound back exercises.

In that case (and to prevent an argument from taking place), I would say that the barbell curl is neither a compound exercise nor an isolation one, but a semi-xxxx (replace the Xses with your preference, i.e. compound or isolation).

Granted there are primary muscles at work, and secondary muscles at work (even in a so called isolation exercise) like side laterals or flys for example. Then you've got yourself the stabiliser muscles doing their bit in the background.

Then you have another argument that insist on placing movements above exercises, perhaps forgetting to take into consideration the sport or the goal of the athlete in question.

Last edited:
yes, very few exercises are truly isolation exercises.

Same is true of way you do bench press or squats. You can go for weight, or you can do exercise in such a strict way by merely tensing muscles used in line with strict form.

There are so many grey areas with exercise.

Goosey.

yes, intensity is hardly enjoyable.

What i was referring to is comfort with certain exercises. For example, I have always hated bent over rows and T-bars as always felt too much to do. Always preferred machine rows and pulldowns to really isolate and contract back muscles.

Same with leg press; do not feel comfortable, especially as I choose to focus on unilateral methods to try and regain balance since serious stress fracture.

I also feel that some exercises still compound, say lunges and stepups, and do not have flexibility to do squats properly.

That is what I refer to when I suggest finding right exercises to suit mindset.

Yes, intensity, a necessary requirement depending on your ability to recover in terms of frequency, is always painful.

I can't think of doing any exercise that I felt comfortable while doing it.

I'm currently devising a new program for the next phase of my Life. A cross between Mike Tyson's regime and Brad Thorn's regime

Actually this thread reminds me why Brad Thorn's regime wouldn't work for a non active Footy player unless he took Roids.

So, a type of Mal Meninga regime.