• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I think this style of training can work if most of your exercises are compound/multi joint. Then muscle groups worked will overlap and you wouldn't have lagging body parts, that could happen with mostly isolation exercises.

Like others have said, I'm way too OCD and need to program everything in advance.

I think this style of training can work if most of your exercises are compound/multi joint. Then muscle groups worked will overlap and you wouldn't have lagging body parts, that could happen with mostly isolation exercises.

Like others have said, I'm way too OCD and need to program everything in advance.

funnily enough training mostly compound stuff was what led to all my injury's last time, you end up being strong in some areas and very weak in others which isolated movements hit. i think it is a myth that compounds "work every muscle" or what ever the saying is

be a mix of both this time round

funnily enough training mostly compound stuff was what led to all my injury's last time, you end up being strong in some areas and very weak in others which isolated movements hit. i think it is a myth that compounds "work every muscle" or what ever the saying is

be a mix of both this time round

Your are right, multi joint exercises are great they do work a lot of muscle in a metabolic sense, but a cherry picked routine is not a good idea.

more often than not a set or two of a single joint exercise is sufficient anything more than that I reckon is a waste of time and can lead to an overtrained state, in the youll begin to lose strength and muscle.

Does anyone here just train whenever they feel like it and what ever they feel like?

While ive only been backing training a couple of weeks, im just training what ever i fancie, following no set routine what so ever (still trying to hit the main body parts) . So far i am enjoying it, I think for someone like myself having a forced routine and diet and all that shit is a bad thing. just going to continue down this path of training what takes my fancie, for instance today did shoulders but then felt like some dead lifts, so i did. Going to be the same for diet, not going to eat set meals at set times, just gona follow my gut and the only macro's i will be counting is whether I have 1 cheeseberger, or 2.

Anyone else tried this approach? Success/failure?
My answer is both a yes and a no. When I began bodybuilding back in mid of 1984, I never had a set exercise in mind before heading to the gym. I felt (and still do feel) that if you workout in the gym, you need to be a hell of a lot more flexible with your approach towards exercise choices. If you're rigid in your approach, then you will suffer in a public gym, as there could be 10 people waiting on something you had planned to use for whatever bodypart.

Now that I train from home (and have been for the last 10 years), I go through my workout as I lie in bed the night before (visualising it through), knowing that what I plan to do (and use for a machine) is all there under my own control.

Now that I've been convinced about taking in a higher amount of protein for MPS, I am more structured with my diet. By that I don't mean I calculate all macros to the last gram, but simply insure that I've got my building macro (protein intake) covered, and let the other two macros fall into place.

I've bee so slack with protein, get home from the gym and just don't want to drink the shit, have 3 different ones, Swiss choc, vanilla and strawberry, CBF with either one. Sometimes I'll select a beer from the fridge and just smash that for the carbs.
So you see johnnie, I'm a full rebel too

I've bee so slack with protein, get home from the gym and just don't want to drink the shit, have 3 different ones, Swiss choc, vanilla and strawberry, CBF with either one. Sometimes I'll select a beer from the fridge and just smash that for the carbs.
So you see johnnie, I'm a full rebel too
Been the same lately. Have had the same 3-4kg sitting in the shelf for a while now. Can't say I've noticed much/any difference to be honest

Why not have a scoop of the powder already in a shaker in your gym bag. Then top it up with water as you're leaving the gym.

Cos I just cbf having it at all. Its not exactly incovenient coming home and mixing it up, I just haven't bothered doing it and like I say, probably getting enough protein from whole foods as I haven't noticed any difference

Cos I just cbf having it at all. Its not exactly incovenient coming home and mixing it up, I just haven't bothered doing it and like I say, probably getting enough protein from whole foods as I haven't noticed any difference

Same story here

Two things that I find really satisfying are fried eggs on toast and/or a spoonful of peanut butter but I digress as usual.

I don't have protein powder because it tastes like shit and I would much rather eat my protein.