• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

G

Banned
Hello,

I decided not to go with Bumper plates for my home Gym.

I wont be needing to lift-drop my weights.

Price wise I know I can get Bumper plates (premium quality) for roughly the same cost as Olympic Cast Iron plates.

Because I like the sound of Iron... Reg Park, Arnold Schwarzenegger etc all managed what they did with Iron, I want to stick to Iron myself.

Looking at the brands out there around Sydney...

I have found most Cast iron plates are like steering wheels, which I do not like.

The only solid cast iron plates with 'no' holes I found, are...

Only 2 I found so far around the Sydney area, are:

http://www.rogueaustralia.com.au/rogue-olympic-plates-au

And

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/weights-bars-dumbbells/weights/olympic-size-cast-iron/

Regardless of which store I speak to, as much as they say "Well we don't want to say anything bad about" they always state why the quality of their own is simply 'better'.

So -

What is Rogue like, what are those like etc...

Spec wise, Gymdirect seem to have a much better explanation of all their stuff. It shows the weight tolerance of the plates etc. They are not calibrated but they told me when they tested them, they are all within like 1% of stated weight anyway. While many other companies can be way more out than that.

So that is pretty 'good' for a non calibrated weight.

Rogue I know nothing about except I was told by a 3rd party that Rogue is a bench mark name in equipment.

I would like your thoughts on what I am better off doing...

I want quality cast iron plates, that are pretty accurate in sizes/weights, no holes besides the 54mm hole in the centre.

Any one with experience on this?

I hate picking up 20kg plates with no hole. Pain in the arse, especially when you're carrying a pair of them. As long as they're not rubber coated you'll still get the clanging iron sound, won't matter if there's a handle or not

Just get the gym direct ones. I doubt you'd notice any difference between the two you're looking at and the tolerance would be as good as (if not better) than the average gym that has cast plates.

So why don't you want cheap cast plates.

Cheap plates?

Where/which ones?

Holes can be useful, but I found with how I lift things when I worked out in my friends gym... those holes make it less convenient for me.

Finger grip + sweaty hand = broken toe. Old Navajo saying.

27efb04f7bfe29424cbdb73ebbe5fdd6.jpg

I love the look of the plates from rogue.

all I can add is over time I have collected an assortment; roughly 300kgs ABC rubber edged, ironedge coated and the traditional cast iron, of all of those plates I like the feel and sound of the cast iron, I even prefer them over the calibrated plates.

the ironedge have the series of holes, they look good but but i find the solid cast-iron ones just as functional.

at the end of the day it boils down to personal likes, i like the traditional look and feel

I hate the feel of those hexagonal ones with the handles.

ed53bb16-c867-4943-92f1-2a0b62a32f1e.jpg

Last edited:
Ive got muscle motion cast iron in my garage. So does the gym i train at. I rate em. No holes but decent lip on one side.

Also if you cant carry a pair of 20kg plates on each hand then you need some grip work.

[emoji14]

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

I love the look of the plates from rogue.

all I can add is over time I have collected an assortment; roughly 300kgs ABC rubber edged, ironedge coated and the traditional cast iron, of all of those plates I like the feel and sound of the cast iron, I even prefer them over the calibrated plates.

the ironedge have the series of holes, they look good but but i find the solid cast-iron ones just as functional.

at the end of the day it boils down to personal likes, i like the traditional look and feel

I hate the feel of those hexagonal ones with the handles.

View attachment 11870

I noticed the other day that we have a couple of new Ironedge farmers walk handles at the gym. Will be giving them a crack next trap day.

Thanks for feedback.

Does anyone know what is available on the market in terms of cast iron Olympic weight plates that are solid?

I only found Gymdirect (muscle motion)
And Rogue Fitness

Are there any other weight plate providers that provide solid round weight plates? (write me a list of names)

Anyone do them in LBS, or is KG all we are gonna get in Au?

I looked at some old Arnold Schwarzenegger photos, the weight plates back then seemed to have a Y spoke in them, all said barbell, all were probably LBS...

Is anything like that gettable these days?