• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Often times a new member will post some "newbie" questions and they often receive critical comments, etc.

I thought this thread could be a safe place for newbie questions to get constructive advice and encouragement in getting started in their training, supplementation and diet

When seeking information
vets will want to know a few things such as: what is your age, what are your stats, and whether you have a diet plan set up. These pieces of information will help vets give you better advice.

In any event, please feel free to ask questions in this thread and I'll police it aggressively to ensure that Constructive Advice is given.

Ok awesome how long does a workout need to last and how many times a week should I workout
i want to be strong and look it too

Ok awesome how long does a workout need to last and how many times a week should I workout
i want to be strong and look it too

Nice question, but so many options, personally I believe the point of working out is to 'damage' the muscles so they can grow, they grow while you are resting not while you are training.

30-45 minutes three times a week can cover it, but may be you need more time. It's not an easy question to answer as there would be almost as many answers as people training, with various programs, full body 3 times per week, or split routines training 4 or 5 times a week all work.

Really depends on your preferences and personal goals and time and recovery ability, all of which vary from person to person.

Hope this has not confused you more.

Last edited:
Do I still need creatine if I eat 1kg of beef every day??

Will rice cakes supercharge my workouts??

Is $40 for a tub of dextrose a bargain??

What supplements do I need if I want to be swole and maintain a hard dick in the sack??

So many questions so little time....lol

The most important test a lifter has to pass is - the test of time.
young people do what they want to do, when young we think we are bulletproof as we get old we realize how in affective mainstream supplements are.

Nice question, but so many options, personally I believe the point of working out is to 'damage' the muscles so they can grow, they grow while you are resting not while you are training.

30-45 minutes three times a week can cover it, but may be you need more time. It's not an easy question to answer as there would be almost as many answers as people training, with various programs, full body 3 times per week, or split routines training 4 or 5 times a week all work.

Really depends on your preferences and personal goals and time and recovery ability, all of which vary from person to person.

Hope this has not confused you more.

you are right, at the end of the day it's the intensity of *work* that counts most.

In my opinion the short workout a few times a week regime works better for experienced trainees. It is valid advice but newbies waste a lot of opportunities before they learn to train a muscle efficiently.

I think Mick is probably right that you could need more time to get the message through to the muscle.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

Good catch bull, I also agree a beginner needs a break in period, how long that is depends on the trainee and their condition.

Beginners can get great newby gains, seen it often, where beginners will grow like crazy if they hit it hard and feed their body at the same time.

The most important test a lifter has to pass is - the test of time.
young people do what they want to do, when young we think we are bulletproof as we get old we realize how in affective mainstream supplements are.

This needs to be made into a meme of some sort, sums it up perfectly.

We all been there, I spend years and years looking for the pill or powder that will bring it all together.

Then finally you get to the stage where you realise there is no such thing and it just needs hard work and food.

I used no supplements for the first 3-4 years of training, then I discovered Liver Tabs.
God they tasted horrible.

Can't remember if they were Weider or Nutra Life, but back in the early nineties there really wasn't many supps, until Inosine came along and Horely's Awesome mass. :)

Last edited:
Can't remember if they were Weider or Nutra Life, but back in the early nineties there really wasn't many supps, until Inosine came along and Horely's Awesome mass. ")

No hungry jacks carpark glossy brand back then.

Trying to think of the first supps I got onto. I remember zma at one point.

Can't remember if they were Weider or Nutra Life, but back in the early nineties there really wasn't many supps, until Inosine came along and Horely's Awesome mass. ")

I remember that, Inosine was the creatine of the 90's, I remember Creatine getting released and it was taunted to be equal to steroids.

I remember 80's body builders promoting liver tablets recommending taking up to 20 per day.

Tried them all. I can see more benefit in live tablets due to it being food packed with essential nutrients and elements as opposed to other stuff I have tried, of course if you could stomach eating liver which many body builders did back in the day, there would be no need for the tablets.

I remember people at the gym having liver shakes, with raw liver and milk blended up with some other crap thrown in....

Easy enough to read up on the benefits of liver packed with B vitamins and Iron as well as many other nutrients.

Last edited:
I used to coat the liver tabs with nutella, only way I could stomach them. muahahahahah

The amount and length you workout will somewhat depend on your goals. If your goal is to just be more active, get stronger and generally be more fit, 3-4x a week for 45 minute to an hour (like Big Mick said) is spot on. Talking resistance training though. You can still do low intensity cardio on the other days, which I think is just as valuable.

If you have a goal of competing in something or training for a specific sport, then you'll need to obviously cater your training for that.

In terms of resistance/weight training splits; if you're only training 3x a week, full body would be best every other day. If you can get there 4x a week, a upper/lower or push/pull twice a week would be a good option.

The one bit of advise I would give newbys is train the way you enjoy. If you want results it's a long haul so you may as well enjoy it.

Don't get caught up in the science. You don't need optimal training or nutrition unless you are defending your world title. Get the important stuff right and worry about the 2% stuff when it starts holding you back. (Most likely never)

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk