• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
It's how I've maintained my Brad Pitt good looks.

Cheers.

bradpittbald2ejpg4nr.jpg

i am feeling generous today, so will share my leg training as I seek to transform my skinny thighs into, well, not so skinny thighs.

Warmup run 10min.

All weights around 65% of max, all with I minute rest max between sets, and excludes one warmup set.

3 sets of 8 reps each leg stepups (45cm height)
3 sets of 8-12 reps one leg extensions alternate
3 sets of 16 walking lunges with dumbells
3 sets of 8 reps each leg stepups (60cm height)
3 sets of 8-10 each leg curls single alternate
3 sets of 15 hypers weight behind neck
3 sets of 10 kettlebells above head.

fuck squats

Looks like a good plan [MENTION=6618]spartacus[/MENTION];
Have you ditched squats too?

yes, i find lunges and step ups isolate quads better for me. i use a lot of back when squatting.

I am weak as, but goal is to get one set of 10 reps each leg step ups on 60kg at 45cm bench height. Having said that, step ups are done strict with rear foot flat on ground before i start pushing up on leg.

Leg extensions are great, many thought and still believe they irritate the knee especially at contraction, this is opposite if you don't contract the quad or stop just short of it, that's where the problems exist.
to be a truly isolatory exercise like I've said before, make sure the back rest is angled back.
make sure you include an exercise for the glutes fadi.
what are you doing for them?

All good fadi I went back to the OP, you're addressing that with exercise 5.

The squat (as an exercise) is the most productive one you can do, but only if it's done properly, and seldom is.
and this is the full squat (calves just touching the back of the thigh) it's an exercise that hits the endochrine like no other, but primarily is a quad dominant movement, as far as the stabilizers are concerned, it doesn't do much for them, but those muscles that support stability hence "stabilizers" need to be strong, they are NOT doing any mechanical work.
which supports the theory, to be in shape, you first need to be in shape.

if that makes sense

Leg extensions are great, many thought and still believe they irritate the knee especially at contraction, this is opposite if you don't contract the quad or stop just short of it, that's where the problems exist.
to be a truly isolatory exercise like I've said before, make sure the back rest is angled back.
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant and priceless advice I'm willing to pay for. Truly thank you Andy, I appreciate your input here beyond words Sir.

make sure the back rest is angled back
Andy, would you mind just saying few more words on this please? And does that mean a big no no to no back rest at all?

I have done that Andy.
I'm doing the cable back kicks, which targets the gluteus maximus, and also cable hip abductions, targeting both the gluteus medius, and the deeper gluteus minimus. I've included all the exercises in my OP, which also includes cable adductions, targeting the inner portion of the leg.

Again I must say, your presense and input here is simply invaluable, and we're all blessed to have a man of your caliber amongst us all.

We're all pretty good here fadi, but thanks, that means a lot.

the best way I can describe the angle of the back rest and how important that is to healthy knees is this;

Sit it on a chair with the back rest on its side, lean back, contract the quads (legs straight) then, lean forward until upright and feel the hammies tighten, it's the tightness of the hams, that can cause knee damage, when extending the leg.

that and make sure the knee joint is inline with the axsis of the moment arm.

Follows this and you have found a good machine.

fadi, did you take gear when at institute like most of them? If you did, then no, I don't suspect you will be getting close to what you once were.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-walking-lunge

why would it not be a great exercise, along with others in a leg workout. Why do my legs burn from it, even with very light weights?

I don't get any absolute comments.

There is a million combinations out there. Ask fadi, he is always changing.

if you and fucking others here cannot understand what I write, then that is your problem, it's the way I write, I'm not your father, work it out for yourself.

the walking lunges is good, better if you can hold a support, or machine loaded with heavy weight, it is safer if you progressively add weight over time, the walking lunge is limited to what you can safely handle.

We're all pretty good here fadi, but thanks, that means a lot.

the best way I can describe the angle of the back rest and how important that is to healthy knees is this;

Sit it on a chair with the back rest on its side, lean back, contract the quads (legs straight) then, lean forward until upright and feel the hammies tighten, it's the tightness of the hams, that can cause knee damage, when extending the leg.

that and make sure the knee joint is inline with the axsis of the moment arm.

Follows this and you have found a good machine.
Your time to as well as the explanation itself is very much appreciated Andy. Thank you again Sir.

I used to always do walking lunges, holding about half my body weight in dumbbells. One of the best exercises to get a burn in the quads. But I would get really tight traps the following day. I also don't do them currently to save time in the gym. Where I can do 3-4 sets of hack squats that take me about 10 minutes. I would have to do twice as many lunges to feel the same burn.

Gentlemen, I'm really eager to find out for myself if what I'm about to embark on (starting on Monday) would yield significant results. It's something I've never done before, and to be frank with you, I don't believe many (if any) people have, yet the whole internet seems to be full of bodybuilders who want to either bash, mock, or simply put down something for the sake of putting it down, not wanting to be viewed as belonging to that "sissy" group who don't want to squat, press, lunge, etc. They automatically assume that ah, he doesn't want to squat because he's damn lazy and/or just doesn't like hard work. As if by squatting, one is somehow (by default) is propelled into the macho club, where only squatters and pressers are welcomed. To each his own I say, I've done enough squats to last me a lifetime!

I'm sure (as some of you have witnessed in my journal), that some would like so much to believe that the method (of higher reps lower loads) I'm following in my training, would actually work. If you've missed it, here it is in black and white:

You know what I think it is mate? I think I desperately want to believe that a decent and muscular physique can be built by training with light weights and high repetitions, but my own biases won't allow me to believe that. So truthfully, I am merely projecting my own thoughts and biases onto you in the hope that you will prove me wrong

Honestly, I respect the man (Firey1) for being honest enough to admit why he was (and perhaps still is) hesitant to accept that what I'm doing may in fact yield some decent results. I don't blame him, what with all that we've been taught throughout the years, that no pain no gain, or if you wanna be big mate, then you better lift big and on and on. Well this thread is on that similar plane, no squats or presses (a sacrilege to some), is about to be put to the test, and it's been put to the test right here on Ausbb. So if you wish to know the outcome (non Ausbb members), tell your friends to check Ausbb out, as the results will be revealed in December. Thank you.

How is this coming along Fadi?
Thank you for asking Mick. I'm giving it 4 weeks before I take some new measurements. The hamstrings' pain is extreme; not so much the quads, or at least the pain is much different there (deeper and duller) instead of deep, sharp, and plain sore just walking (with the hammies). It usually takes about two weeks before I see changes, and this week is week number 2.