• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I feel like grip will probably always be the weakest link unless you've spent your life time doing a lot of stuff that involves a strong grip.
Everything mentioned above is basically correct. Deadlifts are basically a grip exercise, perform them as heavy as you can while maintaining grip and good form and in time your grip will get better.
I alternate my alternating grip each set so I get equal development, I find that for the heaviest sets double overhand really does require so much strength.
But I know in time, I will be able to do double overhand as my grip gets better and better.
All your pulling exercises will improve your grip, even isometric exercises like farmers walks. Heavy rows, shrugs are all part of building grip.
I've never used chalk or straps, but I know one day I'll find a weight that requires me to do so.

I use the same mixed grip for all sets over 180kg. Right hand over, left hand under.
Ive never failed a deadlift due to grip, the rest of me fails LONG before that.

I also dont have any issues in terms of imbalances or bicep problems. Youll get a bicep problem if you are not keeping your arms straight! Dont curl the bar with the under hand!! Ive seen it alot in commercial gyms, and possible part of why imbalance is created, as it will be unevenly loaded on your frame with a single bent arm...

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Overall it's just nuts. You'll either be using such a light weight that it won't stimulate any useful adaptations, or if it's heavy enough to do that, the chances of your keeping good form are not good. And 120kg of force is 120kg of force, even if you can pull 240kg. It can injure you. Humans are remarkably resilient so you'll probably be okay. But most people who drink and drive are okay, too, I still don't recommend it.

To my mind, you are saying, "Hey guys, I'm doing this stupid workout and I can't manage it. What should I do so I can do this stupid workout?"

5 sets of 10?
What does it mean? Too manysets or too many reps?
Overall it's just nuts. You'lleither be using such a light weight that it won't stimulate any usefuladaptations, or if it's heavy enough to do that, the chances of your keepinggood form are not good.
To my mind, you are saying, "Hey guys, I'm doing this stupid workout and Ican't manage it. What should I do so I can do this stupidworkout?"

Why stupid workout Kyle? You made a comment re LateStarter either using light weight or.... I'll focus on this part first. Since when do experience lifters like us understand the word light in its literal sense when it comes to lifting weights? We all (everyone on this forum) and around the world, agrees that the term light is a relative term and ought to be restricted to that context. I can ask you to hold a 10kg d/bell in an isometric position parallel to the ground and have you tell me what you're experiencing with that mere (light) 10kg d/bell. I guarantee you after 45 to 60 seconds, your perception or description of the word light would quickly change. Why is that? Because as those seconds on the clock tick, so does your effort to hold that d/bell in that isometric position increases accordingly. So now we can all see that the 10kg d/bell does not feel like a 10kg d/bell to the biceps and forearms anymore, since its weight has become relative to the added time factor and the TUT principle.

Your sentence continues that one can not stimulate any useful adaptations, and your basis for that (again) is that so called "light" weight which I've just described above. Again, we both know that our muscle fibers don't see the numbers on the bar or d/bells, they're either stimulated and forced to adapt or they're not. So adaptation is based on the method applied more so than the numbers on the bar. Of course, we're not talking about the lifting of a pen x1000 here, but rather a weight that would require some effort on our part to be lifted against gravity.

I'm still not sure where this figure of 5x10 or 10x5 came from to be honest. LateStarter in his OP stated the following:

My work sets were like this:
120x12 reps
150x1 (too heavy to grip more but would like to do 2-3)
120x10
120x7 - grip is failing
120x6 - grip again
120x5 - grip gone now and forearms burning from pump

Should I do lower weight and higher reps like 105x15 or something to train gripmore?
Or should I find accessory work?

Have only been training 2 months - is it just newbie weakness in my gripstrength?

I think the man is doing incredibly well for the time he's been training. I have not been following this thread closely, but I'm happy to answer any direct question by LateStarter (or anyone else for that matter) on what I've just written.

Kyle, I mean you no disrespect, I hope you know that OK mate. If you feel (or know) that I'm wrong in what I'm saying, please point it out for me in order for us to have a mature discussion here. Thank you.

Last edited:
Overall it's just nuts. You'll either be using such a light weight that it won't stimulate any useful adaptations, or if it's heavy enough to do that, the chances of your keeping good form are not good. And 120kg of force is 120kg of force, even if you can pull 240kg. It can injure you. Humans are remarkably resilient so you'll probably be okay. But most people who drink and drive are okay, too, I still don't recommend it.

To my mind, you are saying, "Hey guys, I'm doing this stupid workout and I can't manage it. What should I do so I can do this stupid workout?"

If my 1 rep max is 155, how is 120 too light to stimulate growth? I had heard growth was stimulated by training volume at the 80% 1rm range. Maybe you were assuming my max would be alot more not sure?

Not sure why form would fail on this compared to going heavier and only getting 3 reps? I find maxing risks my upper back hunching over.

If I max out weight to say greater than 90% 1rm every session, surely that's more a recipe for injury and a failed form with heavier weight more than using 80%. I normally do 1 set 95% as a test if I can go up, but the volume at 80%

The grip is ok now, just needed chalk.

If my 1 rep max is 155, how is 120 too light to stimulate growth? I had heard growth was stimulated by training volume at the 80% 1rm range. Maybe you were assuming my max would be alot more not sure?

Not sure why form would fail on this compared to going heavier and only getting 3 reps? I find maxing risks my upper back hunching over.

If I max out weight to say greater than 90% 1rm every session, surely that's more a recipe for injury and a failed form with heavier weight more than using 80%. I normally do 1 set 95% as a test if I can go up, but the volume at 80%

The grip is ok now, just needed chalk.

It's not going to be too light.

People carry on about form. The reality is your form is always going to deviate when you get close to failure.

Why stupid workout Kyle? You made a comment re LateStarter either using light weight or.... I'll focus on this part first. Since when do experience lifters like us understand the word light in its literal sense when it comes to lifting weights? We all (everyone on this forum) and around the world, agrees that the term light is a relative term and ought to be restricted to that context. I can ask you to hold a 10kg d/bell in an isometric position parallel to the ground and have you tell me what you're experiencing with that mere (light) 10kg d/bell. I guarantee you after 45 to 60 seconds, your perception or description of the word light would quickly change. Why is that? Because as those seconds on the clock tick, so does your effort to hold that d/bell in that isometric position increases accordingly. So now we can all see that the 10kg d/bell does not feel like a 10kg d/bell to the biceps and forearms anymore, since its weight has become relative to the added time factor and the TUT principle.

Your sentence continues that one can not stimulate any useful adaptations, and your basis for that (again) is that so called "light" weight which I've just described above. Again, we both know that our muscle fibers don't see the numbers on the bar or d/bells, they're either stimulated and forced to adapt or they're not. So adaptation is based on the method applied more so than the numbers on the bar. Of course, we're not talking about the lifting of a pen x1000 here, but rather a weight that would require some effort on our part to be lifted against gravity.

I'm still not sure where this figure of 5x10 or 10x5 came from to be honest. LateStarter in his OP stated the following:

I think the man is doing incredibly well for the time he's been training. I have not been following this thread closely, but I'm happy to answer any direct question by LateStarter (or anyone else for that matter) on what I've just written.

Kyle, I mean you no disrespect, I hope you know that OK mate. If you feel (or know) that I'm wrong in what I'm saying, please point it out for me in order for us to have a mature discussion here. Thank you.

I agree with this Fadi, the OP is doing really well for the time he's been working out.
As far as grip strength goes, keep deadlifting and as you progress your grip will also improve, how can it not.
Also, do yourself a favour and get some Farmers Walk handles if you want really strong grip, not to mention strong back, legs, shoulders.

It's not going to be too light.

People carry on about form. The reality is your form is always going to deviate when you get close to failure.

I'm one of those people.
im all for high reps low reps, MMFatigue, just stopping shy of MMF...slow reps controlled reps heavyweights all that sort of shit.

two things you don't ( and I hate) want to do is to throw the weight or have the form of your rep degrade just to get the last final set finished that is stupidity.

I'm one of those people.
im all for high reps low reps, MMFatigue, just stopping shy of MMF...slow reps controlled reps heavyweights all that sort of shit.

two things you don't ( and I hate) want to do is to throw the weight or have the form of your rep degrade just to get the last final set finished that is stupidity.

If the rep doesn't degrade at all you can't be going anywhere near close to pushing yourself. This is just the way I see it. I haven't seen many people able to succeed with growing muscle or strength without pushing themselves.

I've noticed huge improvements in my deadlift going from repping out 6-10 to a 5x5.
Definitely recommend.

If the rep doesn't degrade at all you can't be going anywhere near close to pushing yourself. This is just the way I see it. I haven't seen many people able to succeed with growing muscle or strength without pushing themselves.

i get what you're saying, and we'll just need to agree to disagree due to the heading of the topic, but it is certainly possible to stimulate growth by using a moment where the muscles only are doing the work and not momentum are positioning the body to improve leverage, at the end of the day it's progress, and to keep progressing into senior years it has to be done safely.

i get what you're saying, and we'll just need to agree to disagree due to the heading of the topic, but it is certainly possible to stimulate growth by using a moment where the muscles only are doing the work and not momentum are positioning the body to improve leverage, at the end of the day it's progress, and to keep progressing into senior years it has to be done safely.

Whenever the bar is moving you always have momentum. In any case it's the muscles that generate the momentum in the first place.

Whenever the bar is moving you always have momentum. In any case it's the muscles that generate the momentum in the first place.

Yes it is if the resistance is moved to fast it's the momentum of the resistance that is doing the work and not the muscle.

towards the end of the set where your fresh strength can no longer move the bar the mistake is to place your body in positions that create a leverage advantage which not what "exercise" is about.

Yes it is if the resistance is moved to fast it's the momentum of the resistance that is doing the work and not the muscle.

towards the end of the set where your fresh strength can no longer move the bar the mistake is to place your body in positions that create a leverage advantage which not what "exercise" is about.

Nope. Any speed of movement has momentum.

To move the bar faster and gain more momentum requires more force from the muscles to move at that faster speed.

Last edited:
So it's strict, non cheat reps for you @Goosey;?

not entirely, i will do cheat reps here or there and train people allowing a cheat here or there one example; take the barbell curl for example.
you rep 10 with a given weight and on the last rep you have fatigued the positive portion of the rep, you can make more inroad to fatigue useing the negative portion of the rep by swinging the weight up (using your body to swing the bar up and then real slowly lowering, do that a couple of times really stimulates some growth.