• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Because it involves using a lot of muscles, not just the legs.

besides lifting sports, they are just two of many exercises one can do effectively to improve their strength with regard to back and lower body.

I include myself in regards to squatting, dead lifting is quite simple though the only trouble is if you can't squat right you shouldn't go after the dead.

I do think squats are better than deadlifts.

if I had my time again, I would have done neither. that is just my preference. I believe I would have been a better athlete by doing other exercises.

Well, if done properly and consistently over years, not months my opinion is that is all one needs.
Add chin's and dips and stiffies and you'll have a fine programme

But the squat needs to be taken into a "full" squat (ham's contacting calves) slowly and controlled.

I do think squats are better than deadlifts.

if I had my time again, I would have done neither. that is just my preference. I believe I would have been a better athlete by doing other exercises.

Which exercises are a speaking of?? Would love to know, so I can finally give the squats and deads away...

Which exercises are a speaking of?? Would love to know, so I can finally give the squats and deads away...

if you like them, then do them, I don't.

of two, squats more preferable. don't rate deadlifts at all, beyond powerlifting.

what would I do; probably more sprints, and a combination of leg exercises, stepups, single leg squats, lunges, hypers, and so on.

If advising someone, and they wanted to do squats, then I would be fine with that. squats, if done properly, are a great exercise. for me, it becomes a back exercise due to my weak points and lack of discipline to go strict. other exercise leave me with no choice but to work legs.

If I was introduced to bodybuilding before participating in Olympic weightlifting, squats would never feature on my radar, or at best, would never be the primary exercise if optimal leg muscle development was my aim, and in bodybuilding that is the main aim above all else.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it here:

...if you're an Olympic weightlifter, then go and do some front squats because you're going to need it.
...if you're a powerlifter, then go and do some back squats because you're going to need it.
...if you're a bodybuilder, you may choose to do both, but never as your primary exercise, as this is relegated more to the most versatile of all leg developers, and that is the leg press.

No one has to agree, but if I was to do it all over again, or to coach you into muscle building over all else, then the leg press would most definitely take precedence over all other leg movements. I call it the most versatile leg movement for a very good reason, as this versatility is connected with its foot plate and the way you can manipulate the muscle stimulus simply by shifting your feet/utilising different feet positioning. Something that is impossible to do whilst squatting, unless you like to invite injury to your back, knees, and hip areas.

Had we been discussing the optimal exercise for optimal cardiorespiratory efficiency, then with out a doubt, the squat would feature amongst the best of the best right on top of the list..., but we're talking muscle building instead of maximising on lung and heart efficiency.

Last edited:
As good as the leg press is, it has limitations in regards to the degree of bend of the knee, which to a point relates to the problems of the squat.

Some very good exercises place the knee in (dare I say it) "deep knee bend" which is critical for a strong healthy lower torso;

Ones that come to mind are; lunges, ISO lateral and Duo symmetric polycontractile movements.
If you can do this on a leg press you've found a keeper.

In the meantime get under a bar only and go low baby - low.

Edit; add leg curls to that.

Last edited: