• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I'm pretty sure the thread title is Multi Vitamin discussion

My point was that Mick is basing taking a multi on no evidence of what it does or whether he's deficient in anything. Then he makes hypocritical claims against other (sports) supplements, where most people do the same.

Last edited:
My point was that Mick is basing taking a multi on no evidence of what it does or whether he's deficient in anything. Then he makes hypocritical claims against other (sports) supplements, where most people do the same.

I think you are again confused.

Yes I take a multi at this stage 'just in case', as I am fairly certain that I am not consuming (not sure anyone would) a diet that gives you the exact requirements of each and every vitamin/mineral that I may require each and every day.

For example I can't remember last time I ate an orange, so am I still getting enough Vitamin C?? I have no idea, but if I ate three oranges or amounts of berries daily, I would obviously not take a vitamin C supplement as it would be pointless.

I know for example that I consume enough protein daily, so no need for shakes EEA's and BCAA's etc So why am I not taking shakes and BCAA's?? You say because I am anti supplement (which clearly I am not and this is where you are confusing things)I don't take them as I already have plenty of these things from my diet and I know I have as they are easy to monitor, so why would I supplement something I already eat plenty off?? Only an idiot would do that. The days when I don't eat mucj or my protein intake has been low and I been training hard I will supplement with a shake, Why?? Because I need extra protein.

See a pattern here?? If you already have plenty of something no need to supplement.

This is where you and me differ, and where I have done the research and you have not. Even though your diet already contains an excess of BCAA's and both you and I know this you still insist on taking them most likely to the detriment of your organs and long term health.

Remember the 30 litres of fuel going into the 20 litre jerry can?? Ask yourself what happens to the extra 10 litres??

How do you know the vitamins you take actually contain clinical dosages? You could and most likely are just getting "pixie dust", just enough so the the vitamin can claim it has that ingredient. It just seems that for someone who claims they do a lot of research, you don't even research the few things you do take.

Supplements/protein powder/BCAAs don't only need to be taken when deficient, but as an alternative to the whole food. There are many reasons for this such as it's more convenient or you just want to mix it up. Like I've said, I have a morning protein shake with coffee as I enjoy it over another half chicken breast or can of tuna. Same as the intra workout/BCAA drinks. Are you going to individually mix up some electrolyte and anti muscle fatigue ingredients or just take a scoop with everything in it that actually tastes good.

I just find it funny that the biggest bashers of supplements are the ones with no or minimal results. I've put up my training log with what I do and what I take. The results speak for themselves. If you've got a better alternative, by all means lead us by example.

And the jerry can analogy is flawed. If you consume too much protein your body will still use it as fuel. Just an expensive fuel source.

Last edited:
How do you know the vitamins you take actually contain clinical dosages? You could and most likely are just getting "pixie dust", just enough so the the vitamin can claim it has that ingredient. It just seems that for someone who claims they do a lot of research, you don't even research the few things you do take.

Supplements/protein powder/BCAAs don't only need to be taken when deficient, but as an alternative to the whole food. There are many reasons for this such as it's more convenient or you just want to mix it up. Like I've said, I have a morning protein shake with coffee as I enjoy it over another half chicken breast or can of tuna. Same as the intra workout/BCAA drinks. Are you going to individually mix up some electrolyte and anti muscle fatigue ingredients or just take a scoop with everything in it that actually tastes good.

I just find it funny that the biggest bashers of supplements are the ones with no or minimal results. I've put up my training log with what I do and what I take. The results speak for themselves. If you've got a better alternative, by all means lead us by example.

Any the jerry can analogy is flawed. If you consume too much protein your body will still use it as fuel. Just an expensive fuel source.

I agree with your points on Multis and the Jerry can analogy is terrible but with bcaas aside from liking the taste or convenience any actual benefits are only going to be there if you are under eating protein.

Anyone on any type of highish protein diet will have more than enough bcaas

Yeah I think we established that. If in a surplus or even maintenance, they aren't going to do anything other than be a cheap, sugar free alternative to sport drinks.

On previous cuts I sort of took them now and then and didn't really check the dosages. I lost muscle mass and strength being on say 1650 calories. This cut I made sure I was getting a dose of 5-6g every training session, cutting on the same calories. Sometimes I'd double scoop on long hiking sessions with a weighted vest. This time around I made strength gains right up until the comp, and no noticeable lean muscle loss. There are other factors I'm sure, but for $1 a serve, it's well worth it for me.

Plus you get the other ingredients such as electrolytes and beta alanine for anti muscular fatigue. Far better value for money than a Gatorade or similar drinks.

Last edited:
Yeah I think we established that. If in a surplus or even maintenance, they aren't going to do anything other than be a cheap, sugar free alternative to sport drinks.

On previous cuts I sort of took them now and then and didn't really check the dosages. I lost muscle mass and strength being on say 1650 calories. This cut I made sure I was getting a dose of 5-6g every training session, cutting on the same calories. Sometimes I'd double scoop on long hiking sessions with a weighted vest. This time around I made strength gains right up until the comp, and no noticeable lean muscle loss. There are other factors I'm sure, but for $1 a serve, it's well worth it for me.

Plus you get the other ingredients such as electrolytes and beta alanine for anti muscular fatigue. Far better value for money than a Gatorade or similar drinks.

I'm not sure why you are comparing it to Gatorade. It's not even the same type of thing.

You could make the argument that your diet needed work rather than the bcaas stopping you losing mass.

It's a pretty safe bet no one here needs beta alanine or electrolytes either.

Personally I love a sugar free rockstar or monster for training. Love the taste no other reason.

Same. I'll have one before a leg or hiking session. But according to Mick, it's unnecessary money spending and you're wasting your time. Why not just just have some BBQ and a glass of water. After all, based on no evidence, you're killing yourself with the "chemicals".

I use the same logic with an intra workout drink, it's not needed but I like drinking them. I'm comparing them to Gatorade as they are a salt/electrolyte sup drink meant to be drunk around workout times. But 3x the price with nearly all the calories coming from sugar. Fine if you need the sugar though.

If you train intense or regularly enough, you'll benefit from electrolytes due to salt loss from sweating. My point was that most of the BCAA drinks contain more than just BCAAs, so they are quite good value for money.

Last edited:
I'm perfectly fine with drinking and eating things for no reason other than the taste. Why not. We are not pro athletes here so why not fit enjoyable things into your diet. Like you said their is no evidence of these dangers of drinking a sugar free or even a full sugar softy if you fit it into your diet.

Id put a lot of money down that no one on the forum needs or would show actual benefit from electrolytes for their training. It's it going to do any harm, not likely so it's no big deal.

So big Mick is anti supp these days. Wasn't too long ago he was the supp fan boy. Even buying bootleg liver tabs behind the hungry jacks.

The one and only supplement that I can see that would benefit the hobbyist could be fish oil, but you better be sure it is good quality, and how does one know?
eat a piece of fish regularly